M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Looks like we're going with the ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Looks like we're going with the ML

Looks like it's the ML! Me and my wife went out yesterday to do some more looking. Took her to see the T-reg and she did not feel comfortable sitting in it. I gotta admit, I really like it. I had some of the same concerns as others here have mentioned though. Reliability, it's a VW (not sure if that should matter, but I did think about it), don't know what i'll be getting as far as the dealer goes, etc.

So we stopped by my MB dealer so look some more. She drove the 350 but felt it was underpowered so i'm waiting for pricing on an ML 500 SE. I prefer black or silver, but she saw an S class in Pewter. Can't recall seeing any ML's in Pewter. Anyone here have one? My sales guy said "so, I guess you'd like a 500 for the price of a 350"? That would be good I said. We'll see what he comes back with.

After leaving the MB dealer we drove past a Volvo dealer. My wife wanted to see the XC-90. We went in and I was really surprised to see a totally basic (no leather, no nothing) on the showroom floor. She really like it, but like someone else here said, "might as well get something with a little more Bling"! Also, the biggest engine they have is a V6 (turbo) with only a few more HP than the ML 350. I told my wife she wouldn't like it. The other thing I realized is that it's not even a Volvo engine. I told my wife no way am I buying a 50K car with a Yamaha engine. Fully loaded, it does look like a pretty nice vehicle.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:22 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Lightbulb

Chris,

Volvo is going to offer a V8 engine. I believe it will be on sale in January. Check with the dealership.

As you may know, the ML will be redesigned shortly, so I would expect nice discounts on the current body style.

Let us know what you decide.

Happy Hunting,
Ormond
Old 11-17-2004, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by Ormond2004
Chris,

Volvo is going to offer a V8 engine. I believe it will be on sale in January. Check with the dealership.

As you may know, the ML will be redesigned shortly, so I would expect nice discounts on the current body style.

Let us know what you decide.

Happy Hunting,
Ormond
That's funny because I just went on Volvo's webpage and they are showing a V8 engine! Is that also a Yamaha?

I know the ML is getting re-done, but not interested in the "joys" of new MB's. My wife will NOT have the patience I do with my car and some of the issues i've had with it.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally Posted by cte430
Reliability, it's a VW (not sure if that should matter, but I did think about it), don't know what i'll be getting as far as the dealer goes, etc.
Well in general VW has had quite a bit of issues reliability-wise in recent times. A few of my friends have Passats (3-4 total) -- decent build, but absolutely terrible reliability - from transmission lockups (sudden jump into 4th gear, inability to shift down) to taillights randomly not working to individual door electronics just cutting out to radio problems, etc. The Touareg is, of course, newer, but it's had a bunch of issues as well...

That's funny because I just went on Volvo's webpage and they are showing a V8 engine! Is that also a Yamaha?
Yes, the XC90's new V8 is a Yamaha as well.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
good if it's also a Yamaha. Can tell my wife no Yamaha engine LOL. Are you sure, though? I was just on a volvo forum and unless I read it wrong I thought I saw that it was a Ford enigne? Ford owns them, right? Either way, i'd rather have the Benz.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 ML500 SE, 2005 X5
I prefer black or silver, but she saw an S class in Pewter. Can't recall seeing any ML's in Pewter. Anyone here have one?
Yes, the 2005 ML500 SE is available in Pewter. Got one in Pewter with gray interior for my wife in August. Pewter is only available on the Special Edition.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:45 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Good choice. Enjoy it!!!
Old 11-17-2004, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
hey chris!
There are a few 2004 ML500 "inspiration editions" in my area with parktronic and bixenons (2 VERY rare options, esp parktronic) if you are interested in buying out of state... They are capri blue and obsidian black.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by AlBoston
hey chris!
There are a few 2004 ML500 "inspiration editions" in my area with parktronic and bixenons (2 VERY rare options, esp parktronic) if you are interested in buying out of state... They are capri blue and obsidian black.
Ali, do you know how much? Geez, i'd almost feel guilty doing that to my dealer LOL. If I don't like their price, I can always threaten.

BTW, i'm wondering how much I could get the ML for with the new one coming. I know there is typically only about 7% in the cars, so I don't think i'm going to get a screaming deal on an '05. We'll see.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
good if it's also a Yamaha. Can tell my wife no Yamaha engine LOL. Are you sure, though? I was just on a volvo forum and unless I read it wrong I thought I saw that it was a Ford enigne? Ford owns them, right? Either way, i'd rather have the Benz.
This new V8 will be Volvo's first V8 EVER in it's history of building cars. It's totally from scratch...

Ford does own Volvo.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Ali, do you know how much? Geez, i'd almost feel guilty doing that to my dealer LOL. If I don't like their price, I can always threaten.

BTW, i'm wondering how much I could get the ML for with the new one coming. I know there is typically only about 7% in the cars, so I don't think i'm going to get a screaming deal on an '05. We'll see.
they are going for mid 30k. I believe they have like 9-15k on em. I only threw the idea out there because they have the lighting package AND parktronic... very rare to find both of these on an ML. I personally wouldn't buy and ML without these 2 options if I could do it all over again.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Well technically it's both lol (Ford and Yamaha). It was engineered and is built by Yamaha, but Yamaha originally designed it for the Ford Taurus SHO of yore. Of course, it's been modified a bit since then (larger displacement), but it's the basically the same engine. You can just run a Google search for more info on this V8.

Originally Posted by GDawgC220
This new V8 will be Volvo's first V8 EVER in it's history of building cars. It's totally from scratch...
Actually, the XC90 V8 is not at all "totally from scratch." See above.

Last edited by amb9800; 11-17-2004 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:19 PM

I just picked up my 05 500 SE in Pewter and it is the saweetest thing there is! And fyi I paid dealer invoice. The holdback allows them to make money at that price so don't shed a tear...

TM
Old 11-23-2004, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by anthonymoody
I just picked up my 05 500 SE in Pewter and it is the saweetest thing there is! And fyi I paid dealer invoice. The holdback allows them to make money at that price so don't shed a tear...

TM
Hey we're probably going with Pewter also! What color interior did you get? Any pics, I don't think i've ever seen a Pewter one.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Hey Al, what happened with the IS? They seem to be nice cars. When did you pick up the Bimmer? My wife has ben nagging me about a 330Csi (I think that's what it is) and a New Beetle Convertible so she doesn't have to drive her E430 as much. She wants regular gas but insists on the Bimmer!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 10:23 AM

1981 380 SLC (R107)
IMO, a Yamaha engine is a HUGE plus for the XC90. The Yamaha Ford used in the SHO Taurus was one of the best ever in a car besides a 351 Windsor. I didn't know they were outsourcing engine design to Yamaha, but that really is a feather in Volvo's cap. Nothing to scoff at.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by Darkmann
Hey Al, what happened with the IS? They seem to be nice cars. When did you pick up the Bimmer? My wife has ben nagging me about a 330Csi (I think that's what it is) and a New Beetle Convertible so she doesn't have to drive her E430 as much. She wants regular gas but insists on the Bimmer!!!!!!!!!

It just had a lot of issues and the dealer service was very bad. Drivers seat was making a lot of noise... the tech took out the passenger seat and tightened it up (wrong seat idiots!). Steering rack had to be changed out at 900 miles, transmission fluid had to be changed at 15k because it became very difficult to shift. Transmisson began making the infamous chirping noise. Stability in foul weather conditions was very poor. Chassis felt very nervous and jarred the cabin over every single bump.... mid corner bumps were the worst! I probably would have kept it if I had the automatic trans.