M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

2003 ML350 instrument cluster dead, good fuse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2024, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2003 ML350
2003 ML350 instrument cluster dead, good fuse

Hey y’all, I’ve got an issue…

When I dove into this car (‘03 ml350), one of the things I addressed was Freon in the A/C. I vacuum the system for nearly an hour, the added 26 ounces of r134a with a good dose of leak detection dye. System took it great and cooled beautifully (42°F at vents). A/C performed great for several months but then abruptly stopped cooling. I say abruptly, but car doesn’t get driven much currently, and it cooled great, then after sitting for a couple weeks, it didn’t cool next time it was driven.

I figured I needed to add Freon and then track down the leak for a permanent fix. I evacuated the system again but when I tried to add freon it wouldn’t take more than 2oz. I realized the compressor wasn’t engaging so I started checking different fuses, relays, modules. Checked the fuse in the kick panel for instruments and ac and it was good. With a test light I’m getting voltage at both sides of fuse.

All was good, except no air con, but now I’ve got no gauges, dash lights, Ac controls, etc…fuse is still good and nothing else that I can find is causing it.

Any ideas? AAM possibly? Climate control module?
Old 07-08-2024, 07:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2000 ML 320/95 Ford F150 4x4/Harley Davidson 03 FLHRCI in vivid black
Originally Posted by Chupie
Hey y’all, I’ve got an issue…

When I dove into this car (‘03 ml350), one of the things I addressed was Freon in the A/C. I vacuum the system for nearly an hour, the added 26 ounces of r134a with a good dose of leak detection dye. System took it great and cooled beautifully (42°F at vents). A/C performed great for several months but then abruptly stopped cooling. I say abruptly, but car doesn’t get driven much currently, and it cooled great, then after sitting for a couple weeks, it didn’t cool next time it was driven.

I figured I needed to add Freon and then track down the leak for a permanent fix. I evacuated the system again but when I tried to add freon it wouldn’t take more than 2oz. I realized the compressor wasn’t engaging so I started checking different fuses, relays, modules. Checked the fuse in the kick panel for instruments and ac and it was good. With a test light I’m getting voltage at both sides of fuse.

All was good, except no air con, but now I’ve got no gauges, dash lights, Ac controls, etc…fuse is still good and nothing else that I can find is causing it.

Any ideas? AAM possibly? Climate control module?
I just had a similar issue. After some A/C work, junk yard AAM and that was junk. Found an AAM on ebay 100% rated seller and that cured my problems. Had to get the key FOBs mated to the AAM and now all is good. Momma-.Benz watches over those A/C compressors. If ya tickle it with a feather ya out 1-900 bucks. Good luck
Old 07-08-2024, 08:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2003 ML350
That presents another problem…all my computers and column are from a junk yard car that had a blade key. I bought the car from impound without a key or fob, found an identical car at the pick n’ pull that had a blade key in the ignition and got everything to get mine running. Everything worked great until I went to MB dealer to try and get a fob… they wouldn’t touch my car because the programmed VIN didn’t match actual VIN and they said they’d need proof of ownership for the programmed VIN car.

I suspect the AAM is my culprit but I’ll have to find someone with MB Star that doesn’t have a stick jammed in their…ahem, you get the point.
Old 07-10-2024, 06:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2000 ML 320/95 Ford F150 4x4/Harley Davidson 03 FLHRCI in vivid black
Originally Posted by Chupie
That presents another problem…all my computers and column are from a junk yard car that had a blade key. I bought the car from impound without a key or fob, found an identical car at the pick n’ pull that had a blade key in the ignition and got everything to get mine running. Everything worked great until I went to MB dealer to try and get a fob… they wouldn’t touch my car because the programmed VIN didn’t match actual VIN and they said they’d need proof of ownership for the programmed VIN car.

I suspect the AAM is my culprit but I’ll have to find someone with MB Star that doesn’t have a stick jammed in their…ahem, you get the point.
I gottch ya on that stick issue,, time spent finding a GOOD Indie shop is time well spent. My guy has the Hi dollar Star scanner and mated my fobs to the new/used AAM.
Whats the old rule of thumb? Anyone can get beat with a stick, as long as it's no bigger aroung than ya thumb Keep the faith, those Keepers are out there.