M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML500 beats Subaru WRX

Old 12-11-2004, 04:54 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500 beats Subaru WRX

Today I was instructing for the local Impreza WRX club driver training day (I still have 2 WRXs and used to be the club vice president). At lunch time it was time for a few of the instructors to have a go at head to head competition on a motorkhana course reuiring both high speeds and low speed moanouverability. I ended up having to run against a modified WRX being driven by one of the top club motorkhana competitors.

Hmmmm. I'll have a hard time here I thought!

Launched the car hard and kept my eyes glued to my side of the course so as not to try to keep up with the guy next to me.

It is not easy doing hand brake turns in an ML but I am certainly glad I have now perfected the; "right hand on e-brake release lever, left hand steering the car, left foot on e-brake pedal and right foot controling the throttle as I get the nose to pivot" system of driving!

To my great surprise, as I pulled up to an ABS assisted stop in the final garage, looked to my right, only to see that I had won, by at least a second, over a WRX.

Apparently, according to the crowd that is, the inside rear wheel would lift about 6 inches off the concrete while using the e-brake to spin the car. Quite spectacular from the outside apparently but the car felt solid and stable on the inside, even if the ESP was protesting madly.

Can't wait to try it agin if I end up getting a Kleemman upgrade.

:v
Old 12-11-2004, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
you beat a wrx in your ml? what mods on your ml?
Old 12-11-2004, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by sideways60
Today I was instructing for the local Impreza WRX club driver training day (I still have 2 WRXs and used to be the club vice president). At lunch time it was time for a few of the instructors to have a go at head to head competition on a motorkhana course reuiring both high speeds and low speed moanouverability. I ended up having to run against a modified WRX being driven by one of the top club motorkhana competitors.

Hmmmm. I'll have a hard time here I thought!

Launched the car hard and kept my eyes glued to my side of the course so as not to try to keep up with the guy next to me.

It is not easy doing hand brake turns in an ML but I am certainly glad I have now perfected the; "right hand on e-brake release lever, left hand steering the car, left foot on e-brake pedal and right foot controling the throttle as I get the nose to pivot" system of driving!

To my great surprise, as I pulled up to an ABS assisted stop in the final garage, looked to my right, only to see that I had won, by at least a second, over a WRX.

Apparently, according to the crowd that is, the inside rear wheel would lift about 6 inches off the concrete while using the e-brake to spin the car. Quite spectacular from the outside apparently but the car felt solid and stable on the inside, even if the ESP was protesting madly.

Can't wait to try it agin if I end up getting a Kleemman upgrade.

talk about excellent driving skills
Old 12-12-2004, 12:19 AM

2001 ML320, 1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4x4
Originally Posted by a9jlu
talk about excellent driving skills
I second that!! Great going Ian. I use to club race a Volvo 740 Turbo wagon and at a Porsche track day I finished 9th overall out of 25 vehicles. It's a great feeling. Keep it up and good luck to you!!
Old 12-12-2004, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ronin007
I second that!! Great going Ian. I use to club race a Volvo 740 Turbo wagon and at a Porsche track day I finished 9th overall out of 25 vehicles. It's a great feeling. Keep it up and good luck to you!!
ha, talking about 740 volvo wagon, my friend has a red one with 120k miles, he lowered it with a sport suspension kit and it REALLY turns.. pretty good car.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by a9jlu
ha, talking about 740 volvo wagon, my friend has a red one with 120k miles, he lowered it with a sport suspension kit and it REALLY turns.. pretty good car.
Volvos are great cars and have a racing history that most people don't realize especially in the USA. I reget having sold my 740 at times. It was such a sleeper and great both as a track car and DD. Mine had 140k miles on it when I was racing it with a ipd suspension.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by pointman
you beat a wrx in your ml? what mods on your ml?
Sunroof and satnav and I had removed the 2 child seats to save weight!

It certainly has been a talking point within the WRX club. I feel a bit sorry for the guy I beat. He will never live it down (I'll make sure he doesn't!)

Old 12-12-2004, 10:38 AM

You should tape this stuff and post it on here man! I'm dying to see this.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
wrx driver must drive like garbage.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:07 PM

ML500
volvo t5 w/ black rims was a nice car.. ML can out perform ALOT of luxury/sports sedan, the ML handles very solid around turns.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by pointman
wrx driver must drive like garbage.
Actually, he is a current motokhana champion.

I should point out that I am a rally driving instuctor and that I also work for Mercedes as a driving instructor, both on their standard drive days and their AMG high performance days. So it was a bit unfair really!
Old 12-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by MercedesBenzAMG
You should tape this stuff and post it on here man! I'm dying to see this.
I am trying to find out if anyone taped the race. If so I will upload a copy and let you guys know the URL.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by sideways60
I am trying to find out if anyone taped the race. If so I will upload a copy and let you guys know the URL.
Oh man...I hope someone did! I want to see that soooo bad!
Old 12-17-2004, 10:40 PM
Almost a Member!

After asking everyone that saw the haed to head run off I have drawn a blank on any video footage!

Apparently they were all so gob smacked that no even thought to turn their video cameras on!

Maybe I'll just have to challenge him again.

Old 12-18-2004, 12:38 PM

Ian!! What a bummer. I wanted to see that video so bad!! Oh well, you will have to tell everyone to have their cameras ready next time. Thanks anyhow.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:09 AM
Almost a Member!

It looks like I have been challenged again. This time though, the other driver wants me to tow a box trailer!

Now that's what I call a bit too much of a handicap!

(Although, I have done a motokhana demo for Mitsubishi publicity towing a 1200 kg caravan, just took a lot of practice)

If he get's serious and wants to have another *** woopin' then I will let you guys know and ensure that there are multiple videos as well!

PS: Hope you all got lot's of presents, no bad news from the Indian ocean disater and you all have a very happy new year, less than 1 hour to go for me.

Kind of sad really, that I am on here and not out partying. That's what happens when you build race cars in your spare time, no time or money for parties!