M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

auto start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500
auto start

can auto start be installed on ml500? does it void warranty? which company makes the best auto start for the mL? viper brand is reliable,
Old 12-22-2004, 06:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I am not sure its possible with the transponder ignition. Some folks claim it is, but I have never seen a functional system on a late model mercedes.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:48 PM

ML500
transponder still requires a spare key correct?
Old 12-29-2004, 10:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Thumbs down Remote starters for the ML

Hey all, Ill give you the rundown on a remote starter in the MLs as an MECP certified installer and ML owner... It can be done, the install itself isnt that difficult. It does need a by-pass module for the key... in this bypass module a spair key that starts the ML is used. Here is where it gets tricky though

When starting the ML after its been remote started the car needs to shut off and with a series of relays and other electronic gizmos you have to isolate the bypass module from the ECU because if the second key is put in the ignition while it is in "remote start mode" the car shuts off and locks up. The car then needs to get flatbedded to the dealer for what I am told is a $600(not a dealer quote so I bet its more expensive) service on keys and resetting the ecu or something.

An easy way to get the car to shut off the car before a key goes in the ignition is to tag a wire to each door trigger wire or you can always toss a pin switch in each door. Viola, the car shuts off and the key in the by-pass module becomes isolated from the ignition and ecu and the car never goes into protection mode.

Sounds easy huh? It can be done but I wouldnt recomend it, and DEI(the leader in aftermarket security) recomends that you do not add any aftermarket security or remote start items to this vehicle. As an installer I do have a remote start for mine... Its made by NIKE, it is a pair of sneakers I put on everytime I run outside in the cold to start my car 15minutes before I go anywhere

I hope yall found this interesting and informative, if you have any other questions just ask
Old 01-01-2005, 11:26 PM

ml55 amg
i just purchased my first benz and it happens to be a ml55. i planned to have auto start installed since the winters here in mass. are brutal. ive heard of electrical problems in ml's and the install was not easy. i made several calls to very reputable area installers and one said they wouldnt touch it and another said they would but it would cost almost $1000 with an alarm system too. reading this thread has made me alittle leary about going through with the install. does anyone have any thoughts to this dilemma? thanks.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Who are you looking at in the area to do it? Ill give you the rundown on who is ok to go to. I know one of the install bays for the company I work for did one a while back no issues, but as an installer and an owner I wouldnt... I have seen a few done that in the long turn always turn sour with some type of computer issues. Lets see some picks of your truck!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 08:30 PM

ml55 amg
i'll try and get some pics of my truck soon, the shop "Sound In Motion" would not touch the auto start but would install a alarm. "Rich's Car Tunes" in watertown said they would do the install but for close to a grand. ive had work done from SIM and they do very good work. Rich's has been around for years and i think they have a pretty good reputation too.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

autostart

ok well those would be the only two places I would of suggested to go to. If sound in motion says they wouldnt touch it, then dont do it. I hold them in high regards. A friend of the family had a toyota avalon show car that they did a while back. As far as an alarm goes thats pretty straight forward and pretty damn easy, if you want that done let me know via email, IM, or Private messaging, but my opinion, leave it alone, I have an alarm I put in my supra with every sensor and siren and accessory DEI makes and its pointless because if someone wants the car or whats in the car, they are gonna get it As far as Rich's goes, good shop, used to be great but they have a tendency to be a bit pricey. Im guessing your in the Watertown, boston, brighton area. You a student at any of the schools around town?
Old 01-02-2005, 11:40 PM

ml55 amg
brookline, just around the corner from SIM. they installed a reverse warning system for my saturn vue. i'm thinking to do the same with the ml55. they recommend a camera warning system since i have the nav. screeen. will probably go with the 4 sensor system since it works pretty well and 1/4 price of the camera system. they do good work. not a student anymore, family man. i just sold my gmc typhoon and was looking for something more practical for my family. ml55 seemed the way to go and with some power under the hood it wouldnt make me miss the typhoon so much. i guess i'll stick with what i have for now. don't want to run into any costly electrical problems.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:58 AM

ML500
thanks for the info fanatic. i am leary of getting it done because of the electrical problems that could go wrong,
brookline here too.

Last edited by KILLERLEXUS; 01-05-2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

notice that other than mr.saturn (who lives in a pineapple under the see, next to sponge bob i would guess) the only people interested in remote starts are us people from mass, lol :p
Old 01-05-2005, 07:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I AM spongebob..... You really oughtta come see my bay at work sometime. I have spongebob stuff everywhere. Everyone calls me spongebob too. Kinda freaks out some customers. I laugh at them when they start looking around at my collection.
BTW out of 3 forums I use that line on, you are the first person to make the connection!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Wow... I guess I watch too much TV for my own good. What else would you wanna watch when your hung over but kids cartoons... and other people are thinking 55fanatic=just another dumb drunk college kid.

My install bay we pretty much have car parafanalia all over... My toolbox is covered in license plates and emblems from my cars and different stereo brands.

So where is the pineapple under the sea?