M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ml500 leak help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
ml500 leak help

noticed a small puddle of red fluid in the garage. located front end of car, close to middle. red in color... what is it?!? Roadside charge for this????
Old 12-26-2004, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
def trans fluid... could be a leaking trans cooling line.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

damn. Thanks Al! guess i gotta wait another three weeks to bring it in.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Most likely you will find the transmission connector leaking. We have a bad rash of them right now. Very easy to fix, roadside won't do it though.
Speaking of which, I just started doing roadside for the first time. And it snowed. I have been driving my *** off in the worst possible weather/traffic combo. Every time I sit down, I get another page..... Big money in this though!
BTW... The ML350 has worse brakes, and it handles funny with all that wieght in it. Of course, is there anything you wanted to know about your ML, such as how much air you can get crossing a speed bump?
Old 12-26-2004, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Most likely you will find the transmission connector leaking. We have a bad rash of them right now. Very easy to fix, roadside won't do it though.
Speaking of which, I just started doing roadside for the first time. And it snowed. I have been driving my *** off in the worst possible weather/traffic combo. Every time I sit down, I get another page..... Big money in this though!
BTW... The ML350 has worse brakes, and it handles funny with all that wieght in it. Of course, is there anything you wanted to know about your ML, such as how much air you can get crossing a speed bump?
thanks Saturn! i hope the dealer takes me in quick about this one.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Tranny leak. I had a similar thing happen to my 320 - no drops but tranny pan and

driver's side rail were pretty wet. It was diagnosed several days later as tranny line needing new crush washers. The RO also said the leak was coming from a washer on bell housing bolt. The initial diagnosis consisted of running a dye through the system and the truck was returned to me to drive for a few days. The nailed it when I brought it back. As far as labor, it depends whether or not you have to go through the dye thing. If Saturnstyl is right, it should be an easy fix. Take a look under the truck - the pan should be quite wet by now.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks Darkmann. there is also a metal on metal sound coming from the truck. i am worried. plus i have to drive home which is a 30 mile trip one way.... damn.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:02 PM

ML
Originally Posted by pointman
thanks Darkmann. there is also a metal on metal sound coming from the truck. i am worried. plus i have to drive home which is a 30 mile trip one way.... damn.
I hope it's not from the tranny That'll be bad. If it's not the tranny, not the brakes and not motor related, it could be a whole bunch of things. My immediate thought would be a loose suspension component. I hope for your sake that it's as simple as that, otherwise you will not be doing that trip back home in the ML. You may just have to have it checked tomorrow, for peace of mind. Keep us posted.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks, im a little worried. i was gonna bring out my other car today, but since the light snow i decided to take the ml... waht a mistake.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
that sucks pointman. What is the metal on metal coming from? When the trans shifts?
Old 12-27-2004, 07:56 AM

2000 ML430
thanks, im a little worried. i was gonna bring out my other car today, but since the light snow i decided to take the ml... waht a mistake.
Damn.....Metal on metal does not sound good....when the tranny makes that kind of sound it is tearing itself apart internally. On the bright side you have warrranty coverage. Do not drive it... have it towed to the dealer for repairs.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AlBoston
that sucks pointman. What is the metal on metal coming from? When the trans shifts?
No, on regular startup... a clanging noise.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hey guys! thanks for all the help! I had it flatbedded to the dealer this morning. supposedly it was a o-ring that got warped. as the dealer told me, it is supposedly a regular complaint on the ml's. so after a new o-ring and some tranny fluid i am a-okay. supposedly no damage was done. we'll see. i have a 100k warranty, so im not too worried.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
It was the tranny connector, which is common on ALL mercedes with a 722.6 transmission. 2 O-rings must be replaced, and there have been various styles of o-rings, and connector modifications over the years.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:31 PM

ML
hey guys! thanks for all the help! I had it flatbedded to the dealer this morning. supposedly it was a o-ring that got warped. as the dealer told me, it is supposedly a regular complaint on the ml's. so after a new o-ring and some tranny fluid i am a-okay. supposedly no damage was done. we'll see. i have a 100k warranty, so im not too worried.

Cool dude. I'm glad that was painless - well, sort of!!! So what happened to the metal-to-metal noise at start-up?
Old 12-27-2004, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It was the tranny connector, which is common on ALL mercedes with a 722.6 transmission. 2 O-rings must be replaced, and there have been various styles of o-rings, and connector modifications over the years.
hmm, interesting. so it sounds like this could be a repeat problem then?
Old 12-27-2004, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Darkmann
Cool dude. I'm glad that was painless - well, sort of!!! So what happened to the metal-to-metal noise at start-up?
according to the dealer it was "probably cause its cold outside, i wouldnt worry." So i say, "excuse me???!!!" he says "bring it back if it gets worse!"

I didnt feel like fighting today so i just left.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:07 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 ML500 SE, 2005 X5
Saturnstyl is correct. My wife's 05' ML500SE had this leak at 5,000 miles. It was an electrical connector in the trans. housing. Dealer replaced it, no more leaks.