M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Squeaky Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
No I didnt, I actually moved to L in 01. I grew up in A-town about 10minutes down rt.2. I actually went to BC High and I graduated in 00
ah, I see. I was to go to BC High (accepted and all) but moved out to S as that area's public school systems are pretty good and it is closer to our family business.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Thats cool, if Arlington's school system was a little better I wouldnt of gone but they were rebuilding a couple of the schools so everyone was crammed into like one building
Old 01-14-2005, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500 2005,LR LR2 SE
Front Ball Joints

Ball Joints do go bad on the ML, factory has updated joint, covered under warranty to 50,000. CANNOT Lube from the outside, has nylon/teflon bushing that goes bad.
jd
Old 01-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver '00 E320
I am interested in finding out any "squeaky" steering noises that MLs might have. My E320 has an intermittent noise problem that the dealer says is a nylon (or was it teflon?) bushing on an aluminum rod in the steering rack that is causing the problem. That's an expensive repair and I want to find out about it. The odd thing is that the dealer service rep told me the E's and the ML's both have ithis problem. I've ran a thread on the E forum and picked up quite a bit of information, enough to say it's not an isolated instance. Now I would like to find out if any of you ML users have a problem with intermittent squeaking in the steering at low speed and if you know definetly or not whether it's the steering rack. Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by silver00E320
I am interested in finding out any "squeaky" steering noises that MLs might have. My E320 has an intermittent noise problem that the dealer says is a nylon (or was it teflon?) bushing on an aluminum rod in the steering rack that is causing the problem. That's an expensive repair and I want to find out about it. The odd thing is that the dealer service rep told me the E's and the ML's both have ithis problem. I've ran a thread on the E forum and picked up quite a bit of information, enough to say it's not an isolated instance. Now I would like to find out if any of you ML users have a problem with intermittent squeaking in the steering at low speed and if you know definetly or not whether it's the steering rack. Thanks in advance for any information.
Yes from what I have read it is a common problem for the most part in MLs. I havent read any instances with 55s having that issue... I believe the 320s were the ones that had it most often... I think I remember also hearing that the squeak led to a serious problem with something breaking and cutting into oil pans or something like that
Old 01-19-2005, 08:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by silver00E320
I think I may have replace one single rack for noise on an ML. I have done many, many racks on E-class cars. Its a very common problem, and a high probability that is what is wrong with yours. They have to remove, and dissassemble the steering rack, replace some parts, and reinstall and do an alignment. Personally, if its out of warranty, I would rather install a brand new steering rack.