M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Avic-n1 Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Avic-n1 Help!

I just got my AVIC N1 Installed today, and a few questions:

1- The guy did not use a line converter he said he re-wired all my speakers, now it sounds like i have NO bass, and the subwoofer under my seat is NOT WORKING! (i have bose system) Is this bad that he re-wired and how hard is this to fix?

2- I can not get the AVIC into "night" mode, making it very distracting, when i turn on my lights it does not change and switch 'day\nightime' mode on the unit does not effect anything else, any thoughts?

It is a 99ML320 so if anyone can offer some insight \ help, much appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan H
Old 02-12-2005, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by DJHUSHD

I just got my AVIC N1 Installed today, and a few questions:

1- The guy did not use a line converter he said he re-wired all my speakers, now it sounds like i have NO bass, and the subwoofer under my seat is NOT WORKING! (i have bose system) Is this bad that he re-wired and how hard is this to fix?

2- I can not get the AVIC into "night" mode, making it very distracting, when i turn on my lights it does not change and switch 'day\nightime' mode on the unit does not effect anything else, any thoughts?

It is a 99ML320 so if anyone can offer some insight \ help, much appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan H

1) It sounds like he messed up the "rewire." I'm thinking if he should have done it at all.

2) It sounds like the guy didn't wire the "illumination" wire for the H/U, which taps onto the factory illumination wire (if exists) or onto the headlight relay so the H/U knows when you turn on the headlight.

I'd say go back and have him redo the speaker "rewire" and have him connect the illumination wire for the H/U.

Good luck.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:49 PM

Thanks, could you go into a few more details about how the bose system is wired?

Does every speaker have a seperate amp? and by re-wiring it did he bypass the amps and thus cause me to loose sound quality?

Basically im wondering if my car audio system is ruined to the point where i will have to replace it will all aftermarket.

Does the ML MY99 have an illumation wire? If so i would have figured he tapped it if i he could find it anyone know as to where it is?

Thanks,
Dan H
Old 02-12-2005, 08:58 PM

Thanks, could you go into a few more details about how the bose system is wired?

Does every speaker have a seperate amp? and by re-wiring it did he bypass the amps and thus cause me to loose sound quality?

Basically im wondering if my car audio system is ruined to the point where i will have to replace it will all aftermarket.

Does the ML MY99 have an illumation wire? If so i would have figured he tapped it if i he could find it anyone know as to where it is?

Thanks,
Dan H

I'm not familiar with the ML430's sound system as well as I was with my SLK and CLK, but even with the SLK, my friend and I and didn't have to rewire and bypass the bose amp.

Same with the illum wire. The car doesn't have to have an illum wire, although the HU does. The HU's illum wire can be tapped onto the headlight wire switch, which is basically an illum wire (sends a signal to the HU if the headlight is on or off).

You sound hesitant to go back to the guy. I say if you paid for the service, have him do it correctly or not at all.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:34 PM

I just got off the phone with the guy.

He said he bypassed the factory amp i told him it was unacceptable so he is going to re-do it.

The unit does not switch into "nightime" mode, the illum wire is not hooked up, he claimed that the unit draws so much power allready that they dont hook the illum wire because it draws even more power on an allright tight fuse. Is this why my unit will not switch into night mode? or was this guy just full of crap?

Thanks,
Dan H
Old 02-13-2005, 02:10 PM

I just got off the phone with the guy.

He said he bypassed the factory amp i told him it was unacceptable so he is going to re-do it.

The unit does not switch into "nightime" mode, the illum wire is not hooked up, he claimed that the unit draws so much power allready that they dont hook the illum wire because it draws even more power on an allright tight fuse. Is this why my unit will not switch into night mode? or was this guy just full of crap?

Thanks,
Dan H

I'm not sure about the illum wire taking so much power. The illum wire is just a control signal, meaning, almost no power goes through that wire since it only sends a "yes" or a "no", a high or low voltage with very little current, unlike the power going through the HU itself, from which the monitor gets power, speakers, motor for the monitor, etc. I think the illum wire drawing too much power is BS. Maybe he just got lazy trying to find the headlight control wire.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by Arnee; 02-13-2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:13 AM
Almost a Member!

Ferrari,Bmw,Mercedes,Porsche
Hey just quicky here....I have done alot of upgrades to my qraut truck one of them is a AVIC N1 upgrade. I manually switch my day or night nav system. very very simple todo. I am still using my OEM system, amps and all. Future upgrades will be in order if I hang on to the truck. Ive also added headrest monitors. The joy of no noise from the back seat its almost a wonder why this hasnt been invented years ago for driving with kids.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Him doing a complete rewire is a quick and easy way for him to rack up your install bill. The illumination wire is upto the individual installer... I never hook them up in my installs... they have been known to fry light circuits for a car. There is however an illumination wire in the main harness of the car. I am planning on doing my N1 install this weekend in my 2000ML55 there are aftermarket amps and speakers in my car already using the stock headunit... now its time to get rid of that...
Old 02-18-2005, 11:23 AM

I've had two prior generations of Pioneer Navs and they've been great so far. Is you guys' first time using Pioneer Navs? I'm asking cause I might get a Kenwood H/U (double-din) for my ML (see link).

Have you guys heard much about the Kenwood DDX7015 and the DV4100? I think it's a nice change from the flip-out screen and an OEM'ish look with the open monitor. It's touch-screen too.

Head Unit:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2557

Nav Unit:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2627

Granted the N1 is an all-in-one unit, I think the Kenwood's Double-Din chassis is a big plus.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

any of you guys do your own Nav installs??? Looking for the VSS wires and the reverse wire? Havent metered anything yet... Im hoping I find the reverse wire in the big huge wire harness under there drivers seat with my multimeter... anyone got some suggestions on where they are
Old 02-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

here are some finished pics of my install...
https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....ostcount=57135