M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Bad Dealership Experience in Santa Monica, CA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG,
Bad Dealership Experience in Santa Monica, CA

Well my wife and I finally decided to fork out 50k for a ML500. We spent a considerable part of Monday afternoon (holiday and my day off of work) at the dealership. My wife and I decided that we would like the ML500 loaded (special edition package, comfort package and etc.). Dealer says he has one in the color scheme we want but it’s not the special edition package, but it has everything standard on the special edition except for the running boards. (Lie #1) Further, the car is in a remote lot and because it’s late in the day he will have it detailed and we can pick it up tomorrow. We proceed to the pain in the *** paperwork stage (we all know how that is).

Well I make a point to get off of work a little early Tuesday so that we can pick the new car up. When we get there we check out the car. I immediately noticed that it doesn’t have the premium wheels I’d told him repeatedly that I wanted. He played dumb and said that he though the wheels were that same but that the caps in the wheels may be different or something. (Lie #2) (Funny this guy new everything about the car when we were test driving other models the day before.) Then as we got in I noticed that the shift knob was different and also I quickly noticed that the gauges were not the premium gauges we had seen in the special edition model. Now I’m starting to realize that I’ve been had and tell the guy that I would like to look at a special edition model for comparison before I take it home. He proceeds to tell me that they don’t have any on the lot right now (in his defense it is a small lot) but I still find it kind of funny that they don’t have a special edition around anywhere for comparison. I don’t believe his story.

I tell him I don’t want to take the car home until I’ve compared it to a special edition model. He says he doesn’t want me to take home the car if I’m not 100% satisfied with it and to think about it and we’ll talk tomorrow.

Well now I’m pissed because I feel the guy tried to bend me over. Should I give him a chance to make it right, or just go to someone higher up? General Manager? Who’s the top dog at these places? It’s not only that he tried to screw me over but also that he wasted my time. My time is very valuable to me. Should I just cancel out all the paperwork I’ve done and walk away to another dealership?

Sorry for ranting. Anyone else have a similar experience? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
if its w.i. simonson. Ask for thr assistant manager. its a lady i believe and she is quite good looking. The manager i believe is a persian dude. The rest of them don't know a thing about anything. Honestly they dont. That small lot across the street isn't where they hold all their cars. About two blocks away there is another guarage where they hold and i believe wash the cars. Dont settle for anything less then what you want. Honestly, don't.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:55 PM

wife's car2014 ml350
i would go somewhere else, fast
Old 02-23-2005, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML500,2005 Toyota 4Runner, 2006 F150 King Ranch, Kawasaki ZX1400 Ninja, 1978 Jeep CJ7
First, I would try and find another dealer, with the model/features you like, and get a confirmed price. Tell them what you went through, and they may bend over backwards for your business. Contact the first dealer,preferably the owner/manager and see if they grovel and can come up with what you want, and check the price. Many times, if they don't have a particular vehicle, they know where the inventory is and can buy one wholesale from another dealership, and tack on a few bucks for themselves just to make the sale. If you find one at another lot, and the sevice area is proffesional, go there, since many times when a dealer has to kiss your butt for the sale,and not make much out of it, they seem to be stingy on the service or any issue solving later.
I have had first hand with dealers that will bring in from another lot, and treat you (try to) like crap after the money is in their account.
If you have the time, I would jerk them around awhile...lead them on, otherwise, go elsewhere.

Last edited by WienerWater; 02-23-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:56 PM

C32 AMG,
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Update: I spoke with the salesman a few times yesterday and communicated to him how disappointed I was with what happened. In his defense he was very accommodating and apologetic. He found a car with everything I wanted somewhere and had it waiting for me when I went back to the dealership last night (with no change to negotiated price). The only thing it had that I don’t really care about is the optional 3rd row jumpseats, but as he’s not going to charge me extra for them I’ll just take them out and no big deal. I do honestly believe that he is 100% committed to making me happy with my purchase. I’m going in tonight to finalize the paperwork and pick it up. In summary, assuming no surprises tonight, I’ll end up a happy man.

Hopefully my initial experience was a fluke. I did learn a valuable lesson though. I will never start the purchasing process on any car until I have a chance to look it over (unless I have to order it, in which case I guess you have no choice).