M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Damn!! Tranny Isuues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E320 Bluetec
I would check out the lemon law. They should replace the car if it has catastropic failure like that. There is nothing that is written in stone that it won't take more for than a month. I would contact your attonery. Play hardball.

They should of least give you another ML as a loaner
Old 06-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by jangy
Isn't lemon law 30 days of service lost in the firsat 12 months?

4 visits for the same problem (i.e. gave the dealer enough chance to fix it).

Let's play. The safety of my family won't be forgotten.

COME ON MB!!!! LET"S PLAY!!!
Pending in your state laws. Your car needs to be out of service for more than 20 days for the same problem. Or, was not repaired after three attempts on the same problem. The problem needed to start before 2 years or 18K miles. Again, check your local laws.

You then can write a lemon law letter to MB. You need to wait the 20 days before any letter can be sent out. MB will then send out a "care package" ASAP to resolve the matter with your dealer. The dealer then has 10 days to finally repair the problem. If it was not repaired or took longer tha 10 days to repair then the car is a "lemon" when you sign over the paper work.

It normally takes less then 3 weeks (21 days)for any overhaul in any brand to keep away from the lemon issue. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Thanks for the support, guys. I've already gotten MB to buy back an MB before, but i've bought 3 since. Now this!! I'M PI&&ED at MB for not stepping up and alleviating this up front. I guess I have to be an a$$ hole to get any grease?

Too bad. I love MB, but the red tape is getting old.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:11 AM

03 E500
Isn't lemon law 30 days of service lost in the firsat 12 months?

4 visits for the same problem (i.e. gave the dealer enough chance to fix it).

Let's play. The safety of my family won't be forgotten.

COME ON MB!!!! LET"S PLAY!!!
But isn't having them do a buy back on a leased car just going to cause you more down time? If they can fix it correctly just let them fix it.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
A buyback makes the deal (lease, cash, or financed) null and void.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:55 PM

01 s430, 06 ml350
my 06 ml350 runs fine, no tranny issues. can you at least get an 06ml as a loaner?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:04 PM

06 ML350 / 06 C230 6spd
i have same problem (tranny & smoke)

Has anyone else had any transmission issues? The car has 400 miles on it and the tranny has my wife so bugged out that she won't go near it. WOW!! What the heck do i do? I hope to Gosh it's a software issue and not mechanical. It just jerks all around and holds a gear at times. No grinding, yet. We'll see what the dealer says. Just when I was gonna say i liked the stalk.
Today is exactly one week after i got the car!!!!

I pretty much as the same problem. I've put almost 800 miles in one week and start having some small problems.

1. At ~300 miles, smoke came out of exhaust pipe when i start the car (lots of smoke). This only happened when engine is hot (like if i start the car again, after driving it)

2. At ~500 miles, the tranny issue started kicking in. But it only happened once. The tranny was jerking, having problem shifting gear at launch and the engine almost stalled.

I called the dealer to report the problems. But this car is a little brat. It was sick and when i about to take it to the MB doctor, it started running fine.

I love the car, no more complains. 1st year model, can't expect it to be bugfree.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:08 PM

2006 ML 500 and 2006 SLK 55 AMG
Do the ML 350 and ML 500 have the same transmission? This problem has been reported by drivers of both.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Tranny

Originally Posted by Sparky
Do the ML 350 and ML 500 have the same transmission? This problem has been reported by drivers of both.
Yes, it is the same, and spreading across most of the M-B line.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I think it has to do with adapting the seven speed from the E to the "stalk" system on the ML. I don't think it has anything to do with the seven speed. Well, maybe that is why they did not use it in the E55. i could use a few extra gears with all that A$$!!
Old 06-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Just because the dealer changes the tranny doesn't mean it's the tranny that is faulty. I have seen other brand dealers change a whole motor because of bad idling then finding out it was the TPS sensor on the Throttle when they did a bench test on the motor.

They are changing the tranny to avoid more down time. They will then send the tranny out to find out what part of it went bad. Could be something as dumb as a sensor or no problem at all. Do you know how many people think they have a bad tranny on the older SL's when all you need to do is reprogram the PRD123 link sequence to the tranny and it's all new again.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
That's what I was hoping this was. i assume MB is the one that tells the service tech when to root cause a problem and when to just swap it out. I disagree that it is to save turn around time, though. My car has been in the shop for 3 weeks now, waiting on a backordered tranny to arrive. I think MB wants to get the tranny back to find the problem and or has found the problem and wants to swap it out on mine and the few early ones.

Either way, I'm pi$$ed. 3 weeks down time on a car w/ 400 miles on it is WAAAAAy too long. I have been patient w/ MB. I will keep you all posted as I am heated and ready to expose the evil.

I buy 4 Mercs in a single year (3 in a month) and am now (tomorrow) buying another. How much more customer loyalty can I show?

Step up MBUSA and be proactive! At least look into it.

I am happy that MBUSA tech reps are involved, but when does the Customer Service begin?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by Cozz
Just because the dealer changes the tranny doesn't mean it's the tranny that is faulty. I have seen other brand dealers change a whole motor because of bad idling then finding out it was the TPS sensor on the Throttle when they did a bench test on the motor.

They are changing the tranny to avoid more down time. They will then send the tranny out to find out what part of it went bad. Could be something as dumb as a sensor or no problem at all. Do you know how many people think they have a bad tranny on the older SL's when all you need to do is reprogram the PRD123 link sequence to the tranny and it's all new again.
Cozz, you sound like a techie. I agree with you completely but remember that we're talking about CUSTOMERS here. Not every one who drives cares about what the PRDxyz or any other internal system sensor does. All that most of us want when you put the stick in D is for the vehicle to move smoothly, nothing more, nothing less. And if it's a new vehicle, the scrutiny gets even tougher. I think the excuse of first year release is nonsense. The engineers and managers had enough time to get the vehicle straight, otherwise don't release it. I really hope the W164 doesn't go the way of the 163.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:33 AM

ML
Has anyone else had any transmission issues? The car has 400 miles on it and the tranny has my wife so bugged out that she won't go near it. WOW!! What the heck do i do? I hope to Gosh it's a software issue and not mechanical. It just jerks all around and holds a gear at times. No grinding, yet. We'll see what the dealer says. Just when I was gonna say i liked the stalk.
I'm glad they're replacing the tranny and I really hope that's the problem. At 400 miles, the darn thing should be replaced. Unless you can't live without it, play hard ball, especially if you've had them buy back 3 MBs before. This really shouldn't happen, new vehicle or not. I'd forgive them if the tranny was also brand new but they've used this tranny on other MB vehicles. And I also think it's unwise to assume that it's an integration issue. What the hell are they paying their engineers if they can't adapt a corporate tranny to a brand new ML design? I believe your cases are somewhat isolated, but none the less extremey important for a new vehicle. Push hard so this doesn't become a W163 rewind!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 12:46 AM

ML
Originally Posted by jangjiman
You shouldn't look at forums to decide whether to buy a car. Any forum, usually discusses problems. People with problems come to forums asking for help. So don't get too freaked out.

As for me I'm having some wierd engine problems. My car is revving all on it's own.
I disagree. I think ML customers are mostly young adults who have made it somewhat well in life by working hard. I think these people know value for money and brand loyalty. I think they believe that when you plunk down your hard earned $45K, you deserve a problem free ride, and I really mean problem free. People who post problems here do so because they want opinions from others. They get advice which helps most of the time. The ML's problems are documented from 1984 and I don't believe those customers are all whinning. I had a MY02 320 which was nothing but minor annoying problems. I got rid of it and got a 05 which has run mostly smoothly. I didn't make up these problems, they were real and I wanted others to know and help if possible. Yes, even under warranty, some things I'd just rather fix myself!!! Becasue of my line of work, I could see very easily how MB's design approach would have led to some of these problems. Just why the managers allowed a vehicle to leave the factory with some of the design issues they had is still mind boggling to me!!! Even worse, why some of these problems were not FULLY RESOLVED during the lifetime of the 163 model year is troubling, given the status of MB in vehicle technology. So, let's not make excuses for MB. Just recently, my 05 had to go in the shop for a mysterious TeleAid problem. No one has figured it out yet. They have to order a harness, but get this: MB may not have the harness ever becasue of something to do with the supplier. No spare parts for an 05 ML??? Am I whinning?? That is an issue that prospective customers (and current ones also) should be aware of. That's why we post our problems.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Here Here.
UPDATE!!

1-The car was "fixed" by replacing the tranny.
2-I got a check engine light. Dealer said it may not have been flashed during repairs. Flashed.
3-I got a check engine light. Took it in. The said they "forgot" to fix something during the re-install.
4-The car started buckling again this weekend with my wife in the car.

Now my wife is pissed and wants a new car. She is driving mine and I have to drive the ML until I unload it!

Talk about pissed! I am about to take out a consumer safety campaign against MBUSA that will blow their mind! I am so disgusted by them at this stage. I love the brand and the history, but hate the attitude and lack of CUSTOMER loyalty.
I even have an appointment to give my sad story to a local TV station who runs a spot on consumer mistreatment (Turko Files). I'll update when I get done.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:54 AM

ML 320 CDI
This is scary when I read all those problems with the W164. I really hope most of them will be fixed when the CDI models will be delivered to Europe.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:53 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
You got a bad one. The dealer should just take the car back and give you a new one. They wouldn't lose that much on the deal. You should post the dealership, the name of the service advisor and everyone down the line. Make them understand that they will lose sales if you make a lot of noise.

Sue them too. It's a matter of pride now
Old 07-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
It is and I will, but I don't blame the dealership. they did EVERYTHING they could. MBUSA needs to step in. They think I am joking but the press will be fun.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tranny issues & MBUSA response

It is and I will, but I don't blame the dealership. they did EVERYTHING they could. MBUSA needs to step in. They think I am joking but the press will be fun.
MBUSA is remarkably bad at customer relations. They seem to sit back and let the dealers suffer their ineptitude. I, luckily, have a very good dealer--but they were unable to get any significant response from MBUSA when my order was weeks late. That is a poor position to put the dealer and customer in. Being up front and proactive wins loyalty when there are problems. How simple is that concept?

My car arrived with tranny issues, but the dealer was good enough to catch it before delivery; a software reflash seemed to fix it, as it's been absolutely perfect the first week. Good luck to you.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:26 PM

2006 ML350
I am not sure whether my ML as also has the so called "Tranny Issues", but everytime I change the gear from Park to Reverse or Drive, there is some kind of "whoooosh" sound, is this normal? Do you guys think, I should take it to the Dealer, please advise.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tranny issues

Originally Posted by firstmbml350
I am not sure whether my ML as also has the so called "Tranny Issues", but everytime I change the gear from Park to Reverse or Drive, there is some kind of "whoooosh" sound, is this normal? Do you guys think, I should take it to the Dealer, please advise.

Thanks in advance.
That sounds pretty normal--mine does it sometimes.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:59 AM

Where is ML GOD and BodyTech on this trhread. I tried to warn everyone with the exact same issues with my SLK 350. Tranny left my wife stranded at 800 miles. They had to replace the Valve body assembly. It is better but I still get the surging you are all discribing here. Problem is that is the least of my worries. To the guys getting the cloud of smoke at start up. Watch your oil consumption!!! Mine has burned 9 qrts in 4K miles and no one at MB wants to even talk about it. Same motor as the O6 ML350. They have issues along with the new 7speed tranny. I think they know what the some of tranny issues are but not the oil consumption problem. I had to start telling customers shopping for new cars at my dealership my issues to fianlly get someones attention. I love our SLK 350 but think MB's service to the worst in the business. I wish it were a KIA or Lexus etc. My wife who drive ours mainly said last night we should just get a reliable car like a Chevy or Toyota,
the MB is not worth the hassles. To spend 60K on a car and have to beg them to fix it our make it right makes me sick. Looks like all the problems I have are now starting to pop up on the same engines and trannies. I tried to warn everyone here but just got flack from Dealer guys like MLGOD and Bodytech. Hope you all have better luck then me with my dealer. I had to make a big scene on the showroom floor to get them to get me to a higher level. Just bad customer service is all I ca say. Its more MB then the dealer from what I can see. They just do not care anymore. As I was told from my dealer they are just turning Iron now. Nice! But it is 60K iron! Not a KIA. If I paid 15K I can understand you get what you pay for. But at 60K I expect a little bit more. Disgusted first time MB owner here. I wish we still had our JAG with 60K miles on it. Thats a scary thought but the sad part is it is true. Good Luck ALL. My next step could be a class action on these trannies and 350 motors. That will not do any of our resale values any good. Still waiting for MB to step and even talk to me!
Old 07-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by redvettx2
Where is ML GOD and BodyTech on this trhread. I tried to warn everyone with the exact same issues with my SLK 350. Tranny left my wife stranded at 800 miles. They had to replace the Valve body assembly. It is better but I still get the surging you are all discribing here. Problem is that is the least of my worries. To the guys getting the cloud of smoke at start up. Watch your oil consumption!!! Mine has burned 9 qrts in 4K miles and no one at MB wants to even talk about it. Same motor as the O6 ML350. They have issues along with the new 7speed tranny. I think they know what the some of tranny issues are but not the oil consumption problem. I had to start telling customers shopping for new cars at my dealership my issues to fianlly get someones attention. I love our SLK 350 but think MB's service to the worst in the business. I wish it were a KIA or Lexus etc. My wife who drive ours mainly said last night we should just get a reliable car like a Chevy or Toyota,
the MB is not worth the hassles. To spend 60K on a car and have to beg them to fix it our make it right makes me sick. Looks like all the problems I have are now starting to pop up on the same engines and trannies. I tried to warn everyone here but just got flack from Dealer guys like MLGOD and Bodytech. Hope you all have better luck then me with my dealer. I had to make a big scene on the showroom floor to get them to get me to a higher level. Just bad customer service is all I ca say. Its more MB then the dealer from what I can see. They just do not care anymore. As I was told from my dealer they are just turning Iron now. Nice! But it is 60K iron! Not a KIA. If I paid 15K I can understand you get what you pay for. But at 60K I expect a little bit more. Disgusted first time MB owner here. I wish we still had our JAG with 60K miles on it. Thats a scary thought but the sad part is it is true. Good Luck ALL. My next step could be a class action on these trannies and 350 motors. That will not do any of our resale values any good. Still waiting for MB to step and even talk to me!
Please PM me with your VIN # and dealer that is taking care of you. I'll see what I can do in NJ headquarters.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Almost a Member!

jangy

we had some surging problems with ours that was not related to the tranny. i don't know if this is the same as the buckling you are referring to but ours was finally diagnosed as a faulty crank sensor. hope all is fixed now.
zack

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Damn!! Tranny Isuues