M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

buying an ML 350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2005 | 11:58 PM

"A Mercedes-Benz product"
buying an ML 350

I am in the process of buying a 350, and I have a question about the shifter.
If the shifter is electronic, what happens if you accidently hit the park button or select reverse while driving?
Old 08-31-2005 | 08:22 AM

2006 ML 350
I don't know if I've got a good answer for you, but what I have seen is that the electronic display will tell you what your options are based on your speed. When parked, you have the option to engage Reverse, Neutral, Drive or Park. When traveling forward slowly, the only options are Neutral and Drive. At higher speeds, no other transmission selection is available. It sounds like MB has addressed your concerns of accidentally moving the transmission stalk.
Old 08-31-2005 | 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by DCApilot
I don't know if I've got a good answer for you, but what I have seen is that the electronic display will tell you what your options are based on your speed. When parked, you have the option to engage Reverse, Neutral, Drive or Park. When traveling forward slowly, the only options are Neutral and Drive. At higher speeds, no other transmission selection is available. It sounds like MB has addressed your concerns of accidentally moving the transmission stalk.
exactly, when you're over a certain speed, the transmission selection is "locked out" persay, so if you hit it by accident, it won't go another gear and damage the tranny.
Old 08-31-2005 | 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
actually if you look closely at the electronic transmission display, if you are traveling less than 7MPH, the arrows still exist for Park and Reverse. meaning that i don't plan on pushing the button in for park or pushing the stick up all the way.
Old 09-02-2005 | 04:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by gsrjc
actually if you look closely at the electronic transmission display, if you are traveling less than 7MPH, the arrows still exist for Park and Reverse. meaning that i don't plan on pushing the button in for park or pushing the stick up all the way.
True, in reverse going about 3 mph, I was able to make it go into Park. Good thing it was a test drive!
Old 09-06-2005 | 11:16 AM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by gsrjc
This is correct. I tested it myself. While traveling at 35 MPH, pressed the button for Park, a message came out saying you must be stationary to effectively put it in Park. Again when traveling at 35 MPH, the only other gear available other than Drive is Neutral.