M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2006 ML350 transmission problems.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350 transmission problems.

My new ML acts very wierd when it shifts gears. When I slow down to about 5 mph and speed up again, it makes a thud. The car also feels like i ran into a curb for a second. this happens when I'm going pretty slow such as in areas like parking lots.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
usual 7g thing... mine does somthing like that too....
Old 09-15-2005, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,191 Likes on 858 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Transmission issues

Originally Posted by jangjiman
My new ML acts very wierd when it shifts gears. When I slow down to about 5 mph and speed up again, it makes a thud. The car also feels like i ran into a curb for a second. this happens when I'm going pretty slow such as in areas like parking lots.
Mine has been very good, but issues like that are a frequent complaint. I would lean on the dealer to do something. They reflashed by transmission softwere bvefore I took delivery, and some have had their valve bodies replaced.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:45 AM

So this is more like a software problem?
Old 09-16-2005, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Transmission issue

Originally Posted by jangjiman
So this is more like a software problem?
It's hard to say, but the transmission is a good design and can work extremely well. I would speculate it could be software-related, given the symptoms you described.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:44 AM

ok, thanks a lot for your help guys. I'll see if I can take it to the dealer over the weekend. I just don't like going there because every time I go, I have a bad experience with them. Oh well, it's a mercedes dealer...
Old 09-17-2005, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
As was stated, you probably only need to have the latest version of the transmission software flashed to your car. There is a known problem with some amount of valve bodies, so that may cause it as well.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:42 AM

ML350 Me, C230 Kompressor Wife
I have the same problem, already had the valve body replaced and the Transmission flashed and still have problem. Making 1 more trip to dealer to see what can be done.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Almost a Member!

just had the valve body replaced in mine today. seems to be driving better already but we'll see. there is a bulletin that relates to the valve body so check it out.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:28 PM

ML350 Me, C230 Kompressor Wife
Well I went back to the dealership and even had the MB Rep drive my ML350.......He said it was perfect and that he was closing the ticket, would not even stay for me to take a ride with him. So much for customer service. I still have the problem and have been told by the Service Advisor that they will not do anything else to the car.
Suggestions welcome here.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:08 PM

Possible options are 1 - setting a meeting with the owner of the dealership;2 - contacting MB customer service on the 800 #; 3 - take a test drive with the service mgr at your dealership; 4 - If all else fails or you do not wish to go thru all the effort, do the most effective thing - sell the car and buy something else. If you do this, make sure that the dealership and MB corporate is aware of your actions. Personally I would do all of the 1st three immediately. As a consumer you always have the option of using your spendable dollars to do your talking (buying the competition).
Old 03-26-2006, 01:39 AM
Almost a Member!

Darn, I still haven't experienced bad service from MB...then again, I barely have 1,000 miles in my ML 350...but crap...are they that bad? I've been to the dealer a few times to change my 6 CD changer, fix something with the seat belts, and fix the easy entry feature of the comfort package...oh they also did the first time courtesy service I guess. I mean, everything I asked for was obviously needed...so they fixed it...but you case sucks...hopefully they'll act a little better.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
My dealer and service representatives have always been extremely professional and upfront. MB has a reputation to maintain, and each person has a job to do. The dealer is NOT responsible to settle such disputes and dragging their management into this is not the answer. If you feel you have a legitimate "flaw" with your car, then be more specific about the whys and hows. Document exactly what it does, and what remedies are NOT being tried to alleviate them. Getting upset and losing your cool will do you no good. The MB Rep's job is to filter out the frival from the real customer problems, and should only be dragged in when and if the documentation is present to demonstrate a concern. Don't blame this on customer service. No company could ever sell houndreds of thousands of cars and IMMEDIATELY replace any one that made a squeek. Learn the process and see if yours fits. the tranny issue is now pretty well described (here and elsewhere). Do you have the updates done or not? If not, show the dealer that, and I can assure you that MB will help out. Verbal jabbing will get you nowhere. I am an EXTREMELY **** person when it comes to cars, customer service, etc. and I've also had my share of concerns, including the ML tranny so I am not bashing you in any way. In the end it all works out. I stay loyal to MB (bought 6 in the past 3 years), and they take care of me. Do they come to my house and beg to help? NO. Do I end up having to jump through hoops? Sometimes. But, in the end if the claim is legit, MB will take care of it. The lemon laws were not established for MB cars alone. Stay positive and consistent. MB will do the same.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes-Benz 2006 ML350 , '04 VW R32
I might also add the anyone who buys a first model year (car, engine, or transmission) should expect a few issues that need to be sorted out. All manufacturers do thier best but it is well known that the first year will have more issues than subsequent years, regardless of manufacturer.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:46 AM

I would respectfully disagree with jangjiman as to the role of the dealership management. If this is a well run dealership, these types of situations are exactly where management should be included. Their company is acting as an agent for MB and their involvement does not and should not end with the delivery of the car. Part of their responsibilities is to be there after the sale and any competent, well run dealership will agree with that. Most successful dealerships do not want dissatisfied customers and will gladly do their utmost to resolve legitimate problems assuming they are presented in a professional and courteous manner. I do agree with jangjiman that nothing will be accomplished by rude or discourteous communications. A calm, sensible and logical presentation of the problem and the steps taken so far to resolve that problem are always a good start to a successful outcome.

Last edited by sheepdog; 03-27-2006 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Referred to wrong contributor
Old 03-27-2006, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

First model year

Originally Posted by Chuck
I might also add the anyone who buys a first model year (car, engine, or transmission) should expect a few issues that need to be sorted out. All manufacturers do thier best but it is well known that the first year will have more issues than subsequent years, regardless of manufacturer.
Well, that's conventional wisdom, but my first year M3 had less issues than subsequent couiple years (due to faulty bearings from a subcontractor).
Old 07-20-2007, 05:51 PM

ML350, BMW525
Angry 2006 ML350 Transmission and numerous issues

2006 ML350 Transmission and numerous other issues

My new ML350 has the same problem; there is a harsh down shift\jerk intermittently. I brought it back to West Covina Penske Mercedes four times and flash the firm ware problem persist. Penske states that this is the nature of these new transmission technologies. “It is normal to have this problem”; what kind of answer it that? This problem started at 800 miles, the vehicle currently have only approximately 14,500 miles as of today 7/20/07, still very new.

Plus I have had my ML350 in for service with 12 different problems and have been in the dealer repair shop for 44 days all together. Three of the 12 problems are engine related. The most serious engine\transmission problem was it will not shift out the DRIVE Gear. The vehicle was stuck in Drive Gear, will not Park or Reverse with message warning “Drive to work shop immediately without changing gear”!!!

I have contacted MBUSA 3 times to request to have this vehicle replace or buy back due to the excess repair and down time. I was told by Penske Mercedes\MBUSA that this ML350 was not qualifying for their buy back or replacement program.

MBUSA do not even have an arbitration program for protection under the Lemon Law. Accordingly this vehicle have been in for service for 44 days combine and have had 12 different issues, with 1 issue repeated 4 times, less than 18 months period. According to the Lemon Law this ML350 is entitle to buy back or replacement.

What am I to do? Help…can anyone out there please give me some pointer.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Almost a Member!

ML500 190E 2.3-16
i think you should consult a lemon law attorney it is better to spend a few dollars and be shure that youve done your best to exercise yoor rights. But be shure to talk to a manager before you do this because as you know a bad settlement is better than a good trial. The fact that you are willing to get an attorney may be enough fot them to get moving and solve the problem. My ml500 tranny problem was solved when they reset the tranny I dont know waht they did I thought it was an altitude problem since Quito is 9000ft. Stll if the cant fix it youa have a lemon man!
Old 07-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Almost a Member!

ML500 190E 2.3-16
check this forum about another lemon
06' ML 350 (Lemon)
ckpatel
Old 07-24-2007, 02:50 AM

ML350, BMW525
Thanks...adarquea! I have contacted MBUSA again and they gave me two names to contact at Penske. I called Penske and left one of the service manager messages since last Friday. I am now waiting to hear back from him.