M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Strange noises in new ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
Strange noises in new ML

Just picked up a new ML 350 on XMAS eve and have a couple of noise related questions. Has anyone noticed a slight hum or buzz or whirring sound coming from the COMAND module? It's a tad annoying and I wonder if it is normal? Also, anyone notice a buzz/rattle from the Harmon Kardon subW in the trunk...not the normal thump from bass, this is a reall buzz like a loose setting - even though I checked most of the screws.

Oh yeah, one more...there is an occasional kinda scraping metal sound when I go from park to reverse or drive. Any input will be welcome. I want to be smart when I talk to the dealer about these couple of issues. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2005, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Believe the Command and radio noises are not normal but the noise when shifting is certainly normal, its the servo that you hear.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
I wouldn't be surprised if the sound you hear from the comand is the fan running. Those things generate a lot of heat and need cooling air. It's hard to say if you you are hearing is normal or not, maybe at the dealer you could try another car for reference.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ML500
I have a Right Wheel Drive ML500 (Australia) and I have a bad wirring noise behind the dash on the passenger side (left hand side). I suspect it's related to the air conditioning unit.

It's an engine speed wirring noise and doesn't happen when the air is off. (It goes back to the shop next week when they can also look at why the ASR system triggered itself today (causing an immediate loss of power) when I was doing 40 kmph (approx 30 mph) in a straight line.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strange noises in new ML

1/My ML has the same strange noises.I came back to the MB services in mid NOV/05,they said the noise come from power steering pump and they ordered the new one (the PS pump is in national back ordered).
Last week they called me to replace the PS pump, and I came back for first time check-up 1K-3K miles, too.
I told the SA that I suspect the noise come from AC & blower because in cold weather in December,the noise is gone.They replaced power steering pump,the noise is still. Now I'm waiting for an AC compressor and blower.
You should try to turn off AC to see if noises disappear.
2/Transmission jerking: they checked oil level & valve. Now the trasmission is smooth, no more jerking from cold weather.
3/the noise when we shift gear,I think it is normal.