M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

New ML build quality worries...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New ML build quality worries...

Just test drove the new ML and I am very concerned about the poor build quality. It seems Mercedes will head down the same sorry path as it did with the last model... which has become to represent all that is wrong with current Mercedes production standards.

Take a look at the fuel flap. It is made of the cheapest plastic I have ever seen or felt and doesn't even fit properly! Kia owners would be shocked!
Attached Thumbnails New ML build quality worries...-fuel-flap-2.jpg  
Old 12-31-2005, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I owned 2 W163's both were OK but suffered from some problems. I describe it as being well engineered and poorly executed. My new W164 on the other hand is excellent. Fit and finish are very good and I have had really no problems to speak of after 3 months of ownership. The W164 went into the shop last week for its post delivery service and I had an 05 ML350 loaner. I can't believe how archaeic and dated it felt to drive after being in my 06 for 3 months. By the way mine does not have the fuel filler door situation that you pictured.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:00 PM
ON PROBATION

New ML is a whole new animal.
MBZ has often bemoaned the fact that the build and engineering on the old ML's has (rightly) garnered them so much flak, and injured their quality reputation.
Plan from day one was for top quality build on the new ML, R, GL models being built in Tuscaloosa, AL. Billion dollar plant. Etc.
Should be a whole new ballgame -- and although I certainly understand your fears, I think that they are unfounded with the new Tuscaloosa models.
I for one, however, try to never buy any mass-produced car in its first year's iteration (or in this case since we're talking MBZ, first 6 months).
Help any?
Old 12-31-2005, 06:15 PM

I still think a Mercedes shouldn't come with a cheap plastic fuel filler flap... and shouldn't leave the factory with so many quality issues..still! You would think the bad press would be sinking in. My E320 cabrio was superbly built, my CLK320 cabrio reasonably built. I still think the US assembly is very poor in relation to the German assembled products.

It didn't help that I got into a Cayenne after the ML.. what a difference in build quality!
Old 12-31-2005, 06:29 PM

ML 350-Black=Sold. New 08 C300 4Matic, Black/Black, P1, Ipod, Auto7speed, 10/10 hit 100,000 miles
I am very impressed with the build quality of the new ML, I have one and it is dynamite!
Old 12-31-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1963 220Sb
As annoying as the misaligned fuel cap is, I don't think it is a reflection of the quality of the ML. They seem to be built a lot better this time around, and actually the few I have been in impressed me very much and felt rock solid. Most car companies have plastic fuel filler ccovers like both VW's we own.

From what I have heard and when I have been in a Cayenne the build quality and problems those have had, have not been very good.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:02 PM

I dont think that judging a company's quality based on a short test drive and a ill fitting oil filler cap is justified. I have owned MBs for the last 30 years and can say that I had my share of issues ... but what car company doesnt?
A very dear friend took delivery of a Bentley Continental GT and had the wood veneer coming off from the dashboard after a week .. talk about superior build quality!
I like the Cayenne too, but then again, I decided to get an SUV not a sports car.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
I've sat in a few new ML's and was impressed by the materials and build quality, and that's the first misaligned fuel door I've seen(I look for these kinds of things) :p . We have a W163 ML55 and it has tons of squeaks and rattles and very poor interior build quality and plastics, so the new one's definitely an improvement. The E,C, and CLK still use the simple metal fuel doors that operate much more smoothly(and feel better) than the cheap plastic doors on other MB's. It's just a fuel door though, shouldn't matter too much
Old 01-03-2006, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by Divingnut
I still think a Mercedes shouldn't come with a cheap plastic fuel filler flap... and shouldn't leave the factory with so many quality issues..still! You would think the bad press would be sinking in. My E320 cabrio was superbly built, my CLK320 cabrio reasonably built. I still think the US assembly is very poor in relation to the German assembled products.

It didn't help that I got into a Cayenne after the ML.. what a difference in build quality!
I think you make an excellent point. The U.S. built Mercedes products just don't look and feel as well built as the German built Mercedes products. I think the U.S. supplier setup they have. MBUSI is getting a lot of things from the same group of suppliers that supply cheap stuff to U.S. automakers. The details on the new ML/R and most likely GL since it uses the same interior, are just not to the German made Benzes. The entire front end of the R and ML are just hunks of plastic. I really hate the cheapo plastic metal-look skid plates. The trims and design screams of being easy to assemble. I've never seen so much plastic on the body of a Benz before. A plastic fuel-filler door may not be much, but it shouldn't be if other Benzes (even cheaper ones) have metal fuel filler doors.

Mercedes is nuts if they think this new GL is going to stand up to a Range Rover or Range Rover Sport when it comes to interior quality or design. The ML, R and GL just look like orphans next to the W221 S, CLS, SLK and even other not so new Benzes like the W220 S or current E or SL. Mercedes has got to work on this if they want to compete in the SUV market because the simple fact of the matter is Land Rover, VW and even Lexus have better made interiors in their SUVs. The Touareg and RR Sport interiors in particular are nothing short of stunning. This is from a Mercedes devotee!

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 01-03-2006 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Question american / german

The ML is built/assembled in the US. But which amount of parts are really American? Most car parts could be obtained from Germany or Europe.
Who's got a clue which % of parts is American ?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:08 AM

A6 Avant 2.4
Hello,
months ago I found a survey about suppliers for the ML in a german journal.
A lot of the parts are produced in the U.S. today. But sorry - I can not deliver the paper itself ("Autobild" I think) but will look for it and try to scan it.

Ulli
Old 01-03-2006, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by stev
The ML is built/assembled in the US. But which amount of parts are really American? Most car parts could be obtained from Germany or Europe.
Who's got a clue which % of parts is American ?
If you look on the Maroney label (windshield sticker) it will show you approx what percentage of the parts came from where.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:28 PM

A6 Avant 2.4
Hello again,
because of a bug in my laptop I can't scan the pages of the "Autobild Alles Allrad" 12/2005 but here are some of the facts:
The seats are build by Johnson Controls, leather made by Eagle Ottawa, ****pit + antenna + cables + alarm control by Delphi, bumpers by Decostar Industries, steel by U.S. steel, Airmatic + cruise control + ABS by Continental Teves, fuel supply by ContiTech, door systems by Brose USA, oil sensor by Continental Temic, Locks + airbags + steering wheel by TRW Automotive ...
Some of the companies are former German, now producing in the U.S., some are originally from the States.
Greetings from Mecklenburg/ Germany!
Ulli

PS: Whow - you cant write c o c k pit because of the first part of the word??! :p