M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Help! Anyone has this issue??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2006 | 06:56 PM

4-wheel ones
Help! Anyone has this issue??

There is some noise in the rear suspension area. It sounds like something hitting something. Not like metal against metal. I am assuming it's some part of suspension hitting something?
But what's driving me even more crazy is this is so inconsistent. It happens then when I shut off my car and drive it again, it's gone!!
When it happens, it's loud enough that everyone in the car hears it. It's not one of those "did you guys hear that or just me?" thing.
If ANYONE has ever experienced some weird sound you can't put a finger on from the rear, PLEASE PLEASE let me know.
I took it in to dealer for it, and of course, it did not sound. So I will just need to take it back when it happens again, which it did, but just goes away at times.
Thanks!!
Old 03-13-2006 | 07:01 PM
JDM

2011 C300
I once had a customer who's vehicle would "ping" after being driven, parked, and while the exhaust was cooling, it would "ping".. was a miss formed muffler casing.
Old 03-13-2006 | 11:43 PM

My 06 350 has the same problem as you are experiencing and it’s really beginning to drive me nuts. After losing my vehicle for a transmission problem for eight days this annoying noise from the rear is becoming too much.

I need to make an appointment and have it repaired. The whole MB experience (first time owner) is rather disappointing.

MBG
Old 03-14-2006 | 09:08 AM

ML400, C250 coupe, ML350, C32AMG
Sometimes when I just change a new suspension and the spring is yet to align to the right place will create a sharp "crunk" noise at corner. It'll align to the right place over time & no harm at all. However I've no issue w/ my ML350.
Old 03-14-2006 | 04:48 PM

4-wheel ones
krieghoff, actually MB is pretty good. this is our 2nd MB, 96 E320 and 06 ML350. So far we've had a lot less problems than other family friends with BMWs and even Lexus. I used to drive a Lexus IS300 but that car was just TOO soul-less. Based on our experiences with Lexus owners, they all never go back to Lexus once they went German. And we keep going back to MB!

But yea.. back to subject, it's just annoying that twice I took the car in for the problem and it just will not repeat!!
I think my service advisor will begin to think i'm full of crap if I take it in again and can't produce the sound. But krieghoff, keep me updated IF you get the problem fixed. That way I can just have them look into whatever's causing this annoying sound.
Old 03-14-2006 | 04:49 PM

4-wheel ones
BTW, I too was in for the tranny problem for a week. hmm...
Wonder if others who had their transmission serviced have this problem as well...
Old 03-14-2006 | 06:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Mmmmm...no, not really...I feel the car on the back (I mean, the road) but that's when I'm sitting in the back (almost never) and I guess that's because I do not have Airmatic to provide a bouncy ride (crap! ) But just take your car to the dealer, I still haven't since I have not had any problems (Thank God) but I'm gonna have to take it for the 1,000 to 3,000 miles courtesy check up (I barely have 1,000 miles in my ML)...I wonder what would they do. Hopefully yours is just a minor issue or something that's loose.
Old 03-14-2006 | 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Rear noise

Open the two side panels on both sides in the rear and check for anything loose back there. There is some wiring that may not be secured well that you may want to attach.