M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML500 or???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
ML500 or???

What else to consider?

Here is what the basics are:
The wife wants an SUV.
Prefers the "car like" drive to the "truck".
I want something with more 2nd row leg room.
Budget is about $65K (as was the ML500)

So, what to get??

Let me go ahead and tell about a few:

RR Sport... I don't really like, but she may.
Range Rover....maybe?
New ML500....maybe, but I am real scared of the rough tranny thing.
Porsche Cayenne....looks like a frog and drives like a VW.
VW Toureg.....I like it OK, but wife seems to have stigma on VWs.
BMW X5....she likes...I worry about the "old" styling, new one out soon.
Cadillac Escalade....she loves....I think is a truck and she will not like.
Any Lexus.....she loves....I hate.
MB R...she hates (too minivan like)....I like room and V8.
MB GL....I like concept...she likes ML looks...can't find a pre release to look at
MB G.....I worship...she likes "looks", but I'm afraid she will hate drive.

hmmm... what else???? Or comment on those. For now, I am hoping to stay with MB, but I just am a little scared of the '06 MLs. She just will not consider an R, and I don't want to spend that kind of money and have her compromise. The GL has real potential, but i can't get a hold of one to let her see it!! The G is also a real option, but the dated interior is a hefty price to pay for. Heck, they even have the "old" comand unit in them. You'd figure their interior / gadgets would be up to par with the E class, no? Anyhow, I'd still consider one. If it turns out that she can't take the truck like drive, she can always take my Jeep and I'll roll the G!! The RR Sport is probably the only true competition, and I guess I should go look.

HELP!!!!! Oh yeah, I need to buy in the next month or so max.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
You're asking that question on an ML board?

Seriously, if the only thing turning you away from the ML is the potential for transmission issues, be aware that the vast majority of owners have no issues. My ML has been flawless for almost 9 months and 9k miles. Especially with the Airmatic, the ride is carlike (in Comfort or Auto modes). If MB drops in the 4.6 in lieu of the 5.0 this year, that would be icing on the cake. The GL is quite a bit bigger; if you need the room, fine, but be aware that with an extra 500 lb. it is not going to be as agile as the ML.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, quite a funny post...I love "Porsche Cayenne....looks like a frog and drives like a VW" that was cute. Anyway, I have not had any problems with my ML yet (only minor issues) but I barely have 1,000 miles on it. My husband did not wanted me to get that car...it was a gift but he really wanted me to pick the Lexus GX 470...he just loves Lexus. I picked the ML because I am vain and liked it a bit more, but both are beautiful cars.

If your wife likes Lexus...she might like the GX or even the RX...I know most guys (especially here) don't like Lexus, but you have to give it to the Japanese...they just get something and make it better...much better (technology wise). I mean, I drove both and the GX also drives like a car, has a back up camera, has air suspension, a third road sit, excellent leather interior, bluetooth (incredibly convenient), and an amazing Navigation system that's even voice activated (MB is really lacking in this area)...I know, I know...don't yell at me guys...it's a Lexus...but then again...the reliability and reputation of that machine is amazing too (unlike MB's) so I think you should consider it...especially since your wife likes Lexus.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
For 65k you can getta fully loaded 2007 Cadillac Escalade with 400hp, id take it over an ML500, both are first year productions of new bodyz so both will have their faults. But if you're open to a used purchase an 04-05 Range Rover HSE is very do able, which would be my pick
Old 03-18-2006, 02:09 PM

SL500 /Porsche 997S/Porsche Cayenne Turbo
RR Sport... I don't really like, but she may.
Range Rover....maybe?
If you are afraid of problems you may wish to stay away from Land Rovers

New ML500....maybe, but I am real scared of the rough tranny thing.
Still seems to have more than its share of problems.

Porsche Cayenne....looks like a frog and drives like a VW.
Looks are subjective. But, performance??? Have you driven one? Out handles, out brakes, out off-roads about everything on this list.

VW Toureg.....I like it OK, but wife seems to have stigma on VWs.
You have to listen to the wife......

BMW X5....she likes...I worry about the "old" styling, new one out soon.
Nice, but soon to be outdated.

Cadillac Escalade....she loves....I think is a truck and she will not like.
Kinda big.

Any Lexus.....she loves....I hate.
No argument from me.

MB R...she hates (too minivan like)....I like room and V8.
Get a black one. Looks like it belongs to a funeral home. Talk about stying mistakes. Seating sucks. Without 3rd row up it only seats four. With 3rd row up, NO storage space. A soccer mom couldn't use this vehicle since there is no place for the soccer bags when the seats are in use. This one will go down in the MB history books as the car without a home. First new MB I have seen that was discounted upon arrival.

MB GL....I like concept...she likes ML looks...can't find a pre release to look at
Saw one in person last week. Not bad. Pretty big though. More like a Tahoe/Suburban.

MB G.....I worship...she likes "looks", but I'm afraid she will hate drive.
Most women don't like this one.

Just my five cents worth......

Phil
Old 03-18-2006, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
this is what im thinking...if i were in your shoes I wouldnt consider an X5 since new generation body is going to be out within a year.

ML500 not worth 65k+ and figure it will have a buncha small problems that wont get fixed till the 07 models.

Toureg is well built has alright V8 power, all the comforts of a cayanne for much less.

Cayanne is overrated and not worth the extra money

Escalade will probably have some quality issues though the new interior / exterior is amazing for any american company, and 22inch wheels w/400hp V8 and all options under 65-68k is a deal

Lexus GX470 and LX470 are both very nice SUVs with the most credibility when it comes to quality vehicles but both are some what dated in their style technology and looks and power.

R500 - just dont do it to yourself

GL - ogre like truck, better off just getting a Infiniti QX56 which looks more agressive

G500 = EPITOME of Status...love the outside doors give you the security of a tank, inside is dated navigation etc along with engine power
Old 03-18-2006, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Go with the ML500, no need to be concerned about an 06. Mine has been flawless, no problems big or small. I had 2 other ML's prior to this and this by far is the best.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

she may like the XC90. ive been in one that was black/black with all options including wood-grain. it was very nice and i was impressed. it is also much less than 65k! have you looked at them?
Old 03-18-2006, 06:13 PM

wife's car2014 ml350
well i asked my wife and her choice would be if she had 65k she would go for the ml350 and the vw6, the problem with the vw's is horrible service, no loaners, service every 5k and alotta ticky tack problems with the 04's supposedly the 06's are much better.

women, they always think more is better
Old 03-19-2006, 12:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
You all have been right on the money with the advice!!!

I am leaning toward s anew ML500, with the hopes that the tranny bugs have been addressed.
The GL is still an option, until we see one. Bigger may be better, if all else is ML - like.
The Caddy - I just do not see as a "value". Yes, it has 400HP, but it's a GM, isn't it? I pay $65K (just like the ML500) and loose half its value day 1!! Scares me.
The Porsche is no.
The RR Sport is No.
The BMW drives great, but dated for the $.
Hmmmmm, still considering an "S" instead?? She really does want an SUV, though.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:21 PM
mgg

rs6+
Thumbs up

take a look Audi Q7 - 4.2 FSI V8, Quattro, 7 seats ....
Old 04-09-2006, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
I drove the ML350 over the weekend for the first time, courtesy of my dealer. It was very impressive. The vehicle had standard suspension and styling. I took it out on the winding roads through the hills, it was wet and dark, but it handled quite nicely. I'd even go so far to state that it handled better than Lexus (too 'boaty'), XC90 (not exciting enough), Range Rover (I think the size is too big) and Toureg.

At 200kW, it could probably do with a bit more grunt which the ML500 offers (225kW). Add the Airmatic then I suspect it will be a nice combo for sporty SUV and comfort. Rear leg room is fantastic. I'm seriously considering this as an option over my other alternative the 540i. My dealer is trying to find me an ML500 with AIRMATIC and if that works out ok the ML63 (375kW) is probably gonna be my choice

Go for the ML500
Old 04-16-2006, 01:55 AM

saw GL today -- looks hot !