M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

How to shift via paddle shifters?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz 06' ML350
How to shift via paddle shifters?

Hey guys,

Recently my car broke the 1500 mile mark. So now I thought it was a good time to see how the paddle shifters work. And I am truly dumbfounded on what shifting points I shift at. Reason being is that, w/o using the paddle shifters. When I "get at it" the tach flies all the way to 6k RPM before switching gears. So I was wondering if I manually switch gears in the same matter. (NOTE: I havent done this, and I usually Upshift around 4.5k RPMs). So any help on this matter is truly appreciated.

Pete (Notes that he will get flamed for asking a stupid question. But personally doenst care since it concerns with the well-being of my car)
Old 06-19-2006, 11:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes Benz 06' ML350
C'mon 67 views and no replies?? you guys could do better than that..
Old 06-20-2006, 12:46 AM

Don't have a Mercedes right now...
I didn't know that ML"s came with paddle shifters. Not sure I fully understand your question. Do you mean at what rpm to shift for maximum acceleration? Well, the ML is not really the car for this purpose.

If you mean that, I believe you should shift at the rpm where the max HP of your motor. A G-tech Pro has the shift lights to tell you the optimum rpm for max acceleration. I haven't tried it but from the descriptions I read it sounds good.

Hope this answers your question.

New Features
Intelligent Shift Lights:

Coventional tachs have a set RPM shift point for all the gears. Yet, depending on the gear, many cars deliver different horsepower at given RPM due to RAM-air, Turbo spool-up time, etc. During a drag race, the new Compition provides optimal shift points based on actual delivered horsepower as you get close to redline. For everyday use you can choose regular set-RPM shiftlights.

http://www.gtechpro.com/ss.html
Old 06-20-2006, 05:54 AM
Almost a Member!

ML 320 CDi
Hi,

You use the paddle shifters any time YOU like (just like a manual, except you can't over rev engine as won't change down if revs too high i.e. it won't change down to first @ 120 mph!!!).

Cheers,
Old 06-20-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
S63 COUPE M157
Originally Posted by Dieter
Hi,

You use the paddle shifters any time YOU like (just like a manual, except you can't over rev engine as won't change down if revs too high i.e. it won't change down to first @ 120 mph!!!).

Cheers,
x2. I've got them too. Awesome thing!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes Benz 06' ML350
Cool guys thanks for the info.

kchristos,
That thing looks cool, but Im skeptical on purchasing. Reason being that I believe is manily targeted for Sports cars, and Manual Transmission. ON the other hand, I my ML was an AMG, then I'd reconsider it.. But thanks for the input.

Pete
Old 06-20-2006, 02:57 PM

It is not an option, they come in every ML and they are usefull. If you have an ML500, it feels like a sports car only diiference is that an armor tank is surrounding you.

J
Old 06-20-2006, 06:58 PM

Don't have a Mercedes right now...
No prob Pete. I know it is an overkill for a non-sports car especially automatic but I thought that they had a pretty good explanation on what rpm to change the gears. I wouldn't spend that much money for a couple of tests but I wouldn't mind using it once or twise just to get a feeling on the optimum rpm for shifting. Most automatic cars and MB's when you floor them with the kick down, they change the gears at the redline. I don't think that this is the optimum setting for max acceletation simply because the max HP in most cars is before reaching the redline. I believe that the only thing accomplished this way is to waste gas and abuse the car.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Coupe
Originally Posted by kchristos
No prob Pete. I know it is an overkill for a non-sports car especially automatic but I thought that they had a pretty good explanation on what rpm to change the gears. I wouldn't spend that much money for a couple of tests but I wouldn't mind using it once or twise just to get a feeling on the optimum rpm for shifting. Most automatic cars and MB's when you floor them with the kick down, they change the gears at the redline. I don't think that this is the optimum setting for max acceletation simply because the max HP in most cars is before reaching the redline. I believe that the only thing accomplished this way is to waste gas and abuse the car.
I not a fan of having the car decide what gear is best. When driving through the mountains, they come in very handy. I hate having to wait for the transmission to downshift on its own. I also downshift automatics for engine braking. Most 4 or 5 speed automatics need to red line before upshifting to keep the engine in its powerband, but a 7 speed auto should stay in the powerband even with an early upshift.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 ML320 CDI
shifting

I found that I only use the paddles when driving in the mountains (saves my breaks)