M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Brake Failure (maybe) ML350 / Anyone else experience same?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500 Wagon
Exclamation Brake Failure (maybe) ML350 / Anyone else experience same?

The ML350 was on a steep grade and came to a stop (with the motor still running) using the brakes...took foot of the brake and car started to roll backwards (engine alone wouldn't/couldn't hold it)....pushed on the brake and nothing happened...car continued to roll back until it hit another car that was parked on the side of the road / Turned off the car then back on and all is normal...dealer tech replocated the problem (on his own test drive)...but service manager said that it wasn't an issue

At any rate this happened to my neighbor and not me...just curious if anyone else has experienced the same
Old 09-08-2006, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Never had this, nor have I heard of it before. What happened to the anti roll back thats on these new ML's?? Why wasent the emer brake applied?? Could be operator error. Sounds fishy to me, particularly when a dealer said no issue for a flagrant safety item.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:02 PM

05 E500 Wagon
Originally Posted by sosh
Never had this, nor have I heard of it before. What happened to the anti roll back thats on these new ML's?? Why wasent the emer brake applied?? Could be operator error. Sounds fishy to me, particularly when a dealer said no issue for a flagrant safety item.
I'm with you...however I find it odd that the tech said under the circumstances the brakes would not apply...in my mind there are no circumstances under which the brakes should not apply...again just doing some fishing here...trying to see if anyone has heard of anything similiar...trying to help my neighbor
Old 09-09-2006, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,183 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Brake failure?

Originally Posted by chenry
The ML350 was on a steep grade and came to a stop (with the motor still running) using the brakes...took foot of the brake and car started to roll backwards (engine alone wouldn't/couldn't hold it)....pushed on the brake and nothing happened...car continued to roll back until it hit another car that was parked on the side of the road / Turned off the car then back on and all is normal...dealer tech replocated the problem (on his own test drive)...but service manager said that it wasn't an issue

At any rate this happened to my neighbor and not me...just curious if anyone else has experienced the same
The hill start assis function is supposed to hold the brake for a second or so when you take your foot off on an uphill slope. At the very least the dealer needs to ascertain why that didn't work. Why the braikes wouldn't function when the pedal was pushed is beyond me.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I'm with you...however I find it odd that the tech said under the circumstances the brakes would not apply...in my mind there are no circumstances under which the brakes should not apply...again just doing some fishing here...trying to see if anyone has heard of anything similiar...trying to help my neighbor
After some more thought about this I believe that it did not happen as your neighbor had related and that he is using brake failure as an excuse for his doing something dumb. As for what the dealer supposedly said you did not hear it and it could be just part of his fabrication. Perhaps he was playing with the shifter and put it in reverse, who knows but it just does not make any sense. Why don't you call the service manager and ask what they found as you are concerned. Bet you get a whole different story. Even if there was a total power brake system failure keeping the car from rolling back from a standstill takes not much pressure on the pedal.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:52 AM

05 E500 Wagon
so they picked up the car on friday night after a big argument with the service manager...brought the car home from la to orange county...that night the husband took the car to lax to pick up people...slowing to get into the pick-up area brake pedal goes to the floor and they hit the car in front of them / its at a different dealer now...waiting to see what they come up with / for what its worth we're not dealing with idiots here...these are car people (just came home with a new Lambo), the ML (other then an ignition problem) has been very good to them for the last 7 months

So the bottom line here is two different skilled drivers on two seperate occasions hit the brake pedal and the car did not stop / so unless they both hit the wrong pedal (or no pedal at all)....there is an issue here / completly possible that the car is not at fault and this is driver error x2 ...I'll let you know what the 2nd dealer comes up with

For what its worth I will tell you the car has been modified, but nothing that should cause brake problems:
20" wheels
Carlsson Body Kit
Lowering Springs
Old 09-11-2006, 02:37 PM

2006 ML350
so they picked up the car on friday night after a big argument with the service manager...brought the car home from la to orange county...that night the husband took the car to lax to pick up people...slowing to get into the pick-up area brake pedal goes to the floor and they hit the car in front of them / its at a different dealer now...waiting to see what they come up with / for what its worth we're not dealing with idiots here...these are car people (just came home with a new Lambo), the ML (other then an ignition problem) has been very good to them for the last 7 months

So the bottom line here is two different skilled drivers on two seperate occasions hit the brake pedal and the car did not stop / so unless they both hit the wrong pedal (or no pedal at all)....there is an issue here / completly possible that the car is not at fault and this is driver error x2 ...I'll let you know what the 2nd dealer comes up with

For what its worth I will tell you the car has been modified, but nothing that should cause brake problems:
20" wheels
Carlsson Body Kit
Lowering Springs
this had been reported earlier by one of the forum member and he just traded his car for porshce cayenne..

check out this thread, it has pics and all the relevant info about the brake failure reported by the w164 owner:

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/for...sts=22&start=1