M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Clicking noise behind dash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking noise behind dash

Hello everyone...wondering if anyone can help me out. I've got a 99 ML430. Went to start up today and had a clicking noise coming from behind the center of the dash. It clicks as soon as the key is turned to the on position. And it doesn't matter if the a/c or heat is on or off. I took the glove box out and can see back behind the radio where there is a small white plastic arm over a black box. This arm is twitches everytime I hear the click. I checked the fuses, they're all okay but the "a/c circulation/ebox fan" relay was pretty hot. I swapped it with another but still got the click.

I've never experienced a problem like this before....would greatly appreciate any help in the matter.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update....

I found that this "arm" moves when I rotate the temp knob to full heat. I guess this is what controls the door in there thus letting in heat or not. When it's rotated back all the way to the coolest setting it stops and just clicks. There is nothing restricting it mechanically.
Anyone know what the name of this part is?