M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Requested A Buy Back Or New Vehicle Today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Requested A Buy Back Or New Vehicle Today

after visiting the dealer over 20 times for different problems with my ML350 in a period of one year I have requested a buy back or new vehicle..

Yesterday I had a major safety problem with my car..I was driving on the highway at aprox 60 mph. Suddenly the car jumped into 3rd gear and reved up, dropped to 2nd and 1st with a time lapse of 5-7 sec. almost causing a major collision between 5+ cars. hopefully I was driving on the right side of the highway and was able to pull over. I restared the car and the problem was gone but it happened again 5 minutes after..I was aware of the problem so I drove carefully and managed to get home..I took the car to the dealer today and problems continued..I have contacted MBUSA and told them I was not going to drive the car anymore b/c of safety issues. The dealer told me a regional rep. was going to be there on monday..hopefully I can resolve this issue with no problems..

My car had alot of problems with srs, shocks, airbag, rattles, many recalls but I could manage that, a safety issue is something I will not tolerate.

please give me feedback on how to approach this matter and deal with MBUSA and the Dealership.

thanks

Last edited by juank350; 11-17-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Assuming all of your problems are legit I feel you have been quite patient. Actually I would have taken action sooner. If he dealer is on your side you should get what you asked for. Just a note that I have had my ML500 for 14 months now and its been flawless with no discrepancies.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Almost a Member!

ML350
Originally Posted by sosh
Assuming all of your problems are legit I feel you have been quite patient. Actually I would have taken action sooner. If he dealer is on your side you should get what you asked for. Just a note that I have had my ML500 for 14 months now and its been flawless with no discrepancies.
This is my second MB in three years..I have a good realtionship with my salesman and service advisor...The service advisor said he understood me and that the car definetly had alot of issues.. I told the dealership I will not drive the car anymore and have scheduled a meeting with the service manager on monday..lets see what this comes up too.. thanks sosh
Old 11-17-2006, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by juank350
This is my second MB in three years..I have a good realtionship with my salesman and service advisor...The service advisor said he understood me and that the car definetly had alot of issues.. I told the dealership I will not drive the car anymore and have scheduled a meeting with the service manager on monday..lets see what this comes up too.. thanks sosh
The service manager and the salesman really have no input to this situation other than the service manager providing data to substanciate your claim. You need a upper management person and/or the dealership owner. The decision will be made by MB and lots depend upon their relationship with MB. Do not get an attorney involved unless you are stone walled but you appear to be reasonable. Be prepared with all the work orders/dates and complaints in hand when you meet with the factory guy. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Almost a Member!

MB GLK 2010
Thumbs down

Wow. What a DANGEROUS major problem! When I took my car in initially for transmission problems (got fixed after 3 visits and driving 240 miles roundtrip each way), the service manager states that ML350 has no issues. This is Bull! I read bulletins online about transmission problems, steering problems, rattling problems, etc..., and he states there is no issues. WOW! Recently my outside temperature gauge was reading at 185 deg F constantly and they had to remove the front fender and redo the wiring.

Now, there is rattling in the back of my car, but it's not worth driving 240 miles round trip.

I only have my 06 ML350 for 6 months and so much problems. I had another Daimler Chrysler vehicle (Chrylser Pacifica, which is now the Mercedes R Class) and it had transmission leaks, problem with rear hatch, problem with display, etc...

I had loaner cars Mercedes C and E class and the drive was noisy and rattling, not comfortable. It was great test driving the new ML350 on the lot, but afterwards BAM!

Daimler Chrysler baby! What are we paying for?

Good luck and hope you get a buy back! I will not get another Mercedes! I will go back to Japanese made cars, which is far more reliable. hehe...
Old 11-20-2006, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
which dealer in boston have you been going to?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Almost a Member!

ML350
Originally Posted by Kar don
which dealer in boston have you been going to?
Herb Chambers Motor Cars...why????
Old 11-28-2006, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by mtrandpm
Now, there is rattling in the back of my car, but it's not worth driving 240 miles round trip.
Have you tried screwing out the two rubber tail gate bump stops? my ML was like a bag of spanners when i got it but after some serious rattle hunting i traced it to the rear tail gate.. it didnt sound like it so all my spare wheel and tools were wrapped up etc first.. doh..

give the bump stops a try, i had to turn mine out about 2 complete turns initially to get a slight improvement then turned them out another to totally cure it.. its like a different car now!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by juank350
Herb Chambers Motor Cars...why????

They are terrible, good luck with the Buy back.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Almost a Member!

ML350
Originally Posted by manx_ML
Have you tried screwing out the two rubber tail gate bump stops? my ML was like a bag of spanners when i got it but after some serious rattle hunting i traced it to the rear tail gate.. it didnt sound like it so all my spare wheel and tools were wrapped up etc first.. doh..

give the bump stops a try, i had to turn mine out about 2 complete turns initially to get a slight improvement then turned them out another to totally cure it.. its like a different car now!
I have the rattling in the tailgate to and t he dealer could not fix the problem..what are the bump stops and where are they located??
Old 11-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Almost a Member!

MB GLK 2010
Originally Posted by manx_ML
Have you tried screwing out the two rubber tail gate bump stops?
I will try that and see. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:06 AM

The bump stops are ont he outside edges of the tail gate.

Open the boot (trunk - lol) and on each edge is a black rubber "thing".. turn it anit clock wise to screw it out..

I couldnt believe that doing this solved my bloody annoying tail gate rattles!
Old 12-03-2006, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
yep. i made an 05 ml rattle free by doin that... i was amazed
Old 12-11-2006, 05:58 PM

any progress with they buyback? Just curious how MB treats customers experiencing extreme problems and dissatisfaction. I am looking to buy a new 07, but after reading horror stories like this...
Old 12-11-2006, 06:02 PM

I recently went on the site of MB's Alabama plant and checked sout some pics. Looks like these cars are put together by some (hopefully adequately trained) minimum wage workers, hehe
Attached Thumbnails Requested A Buy Back Or New Vehicle Today-untitled-1.jpg   Requested A Buy Back Or New Vehicle Today-untitled-2.jpg   Requested A Buy Back Or New Vehicle Today-untitled-3.jpg  
Old 12-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Almost a Member!

MB GLK 2010
No wonder we have SO MUCH problem. Sorry, I meant "I". Not everyone has the problem(s). I guess it depends on the personnel who works on a shift, half drunk maybe. Enjoy the holidays.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mtrandpm
No wonder we have SO MUCH problem. Sorry, I meant "I". Not everyone has the problem(s). I guess it depends on the personnel who works on a shift, half drunk maybe. Enjoy the holidays.
I sincerely doubt that the workers are anywhere near min wage and that they come to work intoxicated. I believe that you are sterotyping from the pictured presented. Are you racially profiling?? Bad move!!!I also believe that they are well trained and if they can't meet MB's standards they do not get the job. FYI, my 06 ML500 has been flawless for well over the year and 3 months I have had it!!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
i want to audit one of sosh's MLs since all 3 have been flawless hehe. Seriously though, the workers are FAR from minimum wage. Most of the vehicle pieces have a pokeyoke in place or is machine done/assisted so that problems can't occur in the first place.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kar don
i want to audit one of sosh's MLs since all 3 have been flawless hehe. Seriously though, the workers are FAR from minimum wage. Most of the vehicle pieces have a pokeyoke in place or is machine done/assisted so that problems can't occur in the first place.
I never said that all 3 have been flawless!! The 98 and 02 had a few minor issues that my very competent dealer corrected easilly. My 06 has not had one issue to date and has not been back to the dealers other than for the first free service at about 1200 miles.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
yes i remember the auto windows issue you discovered on your 02, i was just joking.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:37 AM
Almost a Member!

MB GLK 2010
Originally Posted by sosh
I sincerely doubt that the workers are anywhere near min wage and that they come to work intoxicated. I believe that you are sterotyping from the pictured presented. Are you racially profiling?? Bad move!!!I also believe that they are well trained and if they can't meet MB's standards they do not get the job. FYI, my 06 ML500 has been flawless for well over the year and 3 months I have had it!!
No profiling. Just having some fun. I am considered a "minority" in the good ol' US of A. Glad your ML500 is flawless. My ML350 is from a small bad apple sack I guess. Enjoy and "cheerios". lol