M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

New ML350 lease...need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New ML350 lease...need advice

Hello All...

I am new to these boards and thought I might get some advice from the more experienced users. I am currently within a few days of pulling the trigger on an '07 ML350 lease. I am taking advantage of the currently special MB is offering ($4000 down and $549 per month). I wanted to see if anyone had any input as to what extras I might want to add to the base vehicle. It comes with the premium 1 package and heated seats. I was considering the "appearance package" which has running boards and larger wheels. Is this worth it? Does it affect handling and ride comfort? I really would like to keep the cost down if possible. I just don't want it to look too plain or find out later that I wish I had gotten some other extra. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:53 PM

i have the 350 with appearance pack and it doesnt come with running boards
but it does come with nice 19 inch wheels, smoked taillamps and the silver grill which enhances the styling, also the driver and passenger windows have a light blue tint
i would recommend this package, and i would also recommend the navigation system
Old 12-04-2006, 04:54 PM

2006 ML350
Make sure you try a car with running boards first. I have em on my other SUV and while they look cool they are a pain in the butt. They just get in the way when I'm getting in and out of the car. Stepping over them is a bit of a stretch and stepping on them is awkward. I have not tried them on the ML but I sure would not order them without trying them first.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by TFLG
Make sure you try a car with running boards first. I have em on my other SUV and while they look cool they are a pain in the butt. They just get in the way when I'm getting in and out of the car. Stepping over them is a bit of a stretch and stepping on them is awkward. I have not tried them on the ML but I sure would not order them without trying them first.
Agreed, Not only are they getting you in the ankles but they get your pant legs dirty and are a pain when Ice/snow builds up on them. If you can go for Airmatic, its well worth it. To reduce the cost of the lease try and see what the numbers are if you put down a 9K refundable deposit and forget the down payment. Your numbers are not such a bargain when you factor in the down payment which you will never see again This negates one of the major advantages of a lease of no cash outlay. In fact a lease is not usually a good idea unless you have a legit business write off.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the replies so far...

sosh...your comment has got me thinking. I thought the offer was fairly decent (not great but not terrible). I never considered the refundable deposit route. I will call tomorrow to explore those options. Also, I am taking the lease as a business write off as I need all the tax help I can get. The general philosophy, I've heard, is to make higher payments (write off) and a lower down payment (no write off). Has anyone seen a better lease offer than I just outlined?

Thanks again for the advice so far...keep 'em coming!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by rotobadger
Thanks for the replies so far...

sosh...your comment has got me thinking. I thought the offer was fairly decent (not great but not terrible). I never considered the refundable deposit route. I will call tomorrow to explore those options. Also, I am taking the lease as a business write off as I need all the tax help I can get. The general philosophy, I've heard, is to make higher payments (write off) and a lower down payment (no write off). Has anyone seen a better lease offer than I just outlined?

Thanks again for the advice so far...keep 'em coming!
Refundable deposits are offered by MBCC and I believe to top tier credits. I have 2 MB's on lease and they are both business related as my wife is active in the business. What I do is usually the refundable deposit and save about 150 per month on each vehicle (E Class and ML500). The deposit can be written off but must be prorated over the life of the lease. This also saves all the grief of depreciating a purchased/financed vehicle and the recapture on sale. What some guys do (I haven't) is to expense the lease thru the business and then at the end buy it personally. I have also found that usually MBCC is the best deal when you consider everything including their being liberal on the vehicle return. A friend was recently socked by another leasing co on return for 3000 when they learned he has regularly smoked in the car. He's fighting it.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Almost a Member!

MB GLK 2010
Running board is good if you are short, especially my wife, for our leased ML350 '06. They also look nice too (but that's not the reason to get the board). I agree that it can be cumbersome if you are tall and don't need it. If don't need things, don't get it and it will keep the lease low. I installed the running board myself afterwards and of course will take it off when I return the car. Hope you enjoy the new ML350. I had to bring my car in 4 times for several frustrating problems. hehe..
Old 12-05-2006, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
I;m paying $420 a month with $7000 down for my 06 ML350 with entertaiment package, so far been happy with it untill yesterday. My power seats on both sides stoped working. I went to the dealer today with this problem and the service advisor told me its a simple seat switch but than 5 hours later she calles me back saying that they have to keep the car for 2 days untill the part comes in witch was some seat module not seat switch. Lets see what they say tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:05 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLE 580 | 2020 Ram 1500 Limited
Originally Posted by ml3500
i have the 350 with appearance pack and it doesnt come with running boards
but it does come with nice 19 inch wheels, smoked taillamps and the silver grill which enhances the styling, also the driver and passenger windows have a light blue tint
i would recommend this package, and i would also recommend the navigation system
The appearance package changed this week it is now call the 333 M Class Sport. You now get your choice of 19 inch wheels. You also get the stainless steel front and rear skid plates. No mention of the smoked tail lights anymore

Dramatically enhance the exterior of your M-Class. Select the M-Class Sport, including front and rear skid plates, running boards, and a choice of two stylish wheels. Choose between a 19" 5-spoke wheel (R39) or a new bold 19" 6-twin-spoke wheel (20R), both fitted with all-season tires.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:21 PM

wife's car2014 ml350
i put 1k drive off at 570 a month with appear pack, ent pack and nav
Old 12-27-2006, 11:36 AM

2012 Maserati Granturismo MC
I may be wrong but I've leased several vehicles over the past few year and I never put any down payment or CAP cost reduction. The main reason is if the car is stolen tomorrow or totalled in an accident the insurance company pays off the leasing company but you loose any and all down payment money. Given this risk I woudn't put any money down, including taxes, I have always rolled everything into the payments.

A refundable security deposit is something else and its sounds like a good idea.

btw, I just picked up my ML-350 2 weeks ago and I am very happy with it. I got the P2 package, Heating package, Dual Screen rear entertainment, iPod connector and the AMG Sport package...all leased. The only option I really wanted but couldnt get was the keyless go package. I have this on my other 2 cars and it awesome.

Al
Old 12-28-2006, 11:43 AM

wife's car2014 ml350
Originally Posted by AMG_Fan
I may be wrong but I've leased several vehicles over the past few year and I never put any down payment or CAP cost reduction. The main reason is if the car is stolen tomorrow or totalled in an accident the insurance company pays off the leasing company but you loose any and all down payment money. Given this risk I woudn't put any money down, including taxes, I have always rolled everything into the payments.

A refundable security deposit is something else and its sounds like a good idea.

btw, I just picked up my ML-350 2 weeks ago and I am very happy with it. I got the P2 package, Heating package, Dual Screen rear entertainment, iPod connector and the AMG Sport package...all leased. The only option I really wanted but couldnt get was the keyless go package. I have this on my other 2 cars and it awesome.

Al
question for ya AMG FAN, how do you like the Dual Screen rear entertainment? i opted out of the 06' single center option because i prefered the 2 head rests and how much was that option?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:06 PM

2012 Maserati Granturismo MC
Actually I haven't even tried the dual screen setup. I only got it because the ML-350 with the AMG package had it. I don't have any kids and don't know when I'll use it. It just came with the ML I wanted. I actually wanted another color as well but to get the deal I got I had to take what they had.

No regrets...car is very nice.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:29 PM

wife's car2014 ml350
Originally Posted by AMG_Fan
Actually I haven't even tried the dual screen setup. I only got it because the ML-350 with the AMG package had it. I don't have any kids and don't know when I'll use it. It just came with the ML I wanted. I actually wanted another color as well but to get the deal I got I had to take what they had.

No regrets...car is very nice.
i'm stoked you like the car but with no kids you will need a couple extra girlfriends to try out dvd's