M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

First MB will be e350 or ml500-advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First MB will be e350 or ml500-advice?

I am about to buy a new car, either an E350 or an ML500, but I just can't decide between the 2.
Background: I have been driving a 1995 BMW 740iL for over 10 years now, great car, but I don't want another 7 series. The new 5 series should be great, but they're not good-looking (IMHO), have lousy cupholders (actually important to me), and the I-drive just sucks.
After lots of research and dealer visits, I like the E350 and the ML500, and this will be my first MB.
The E350 is a great drive, pretty quick, has lots of great amenities, looks good, and has seemingly good reliability.
The ML500 is also a good drive, also fairly quick, also has lots of great amenities, also looks good, and has seemingly not-so-great (???) reliability. (The ML350 seems a little slow to me, so I've ruled it out).
More background: I have always driven sedans, but my wife drives a Lexus RX330 (small SUV), and I have to admit that I really enjoy the driving experience of the little SUV, so I am tempted to go with the ML, but a little frightened that the ML's quality (rattles, etc) and reliability won't be as great as the E.
One more note: we like to take road trips every now and then, and our 6 year-old seems to get motion sickness less when he can sit in the middle (backeat) of an SUV versus having to sit in the passenger side (backseat) of a sedan. This is another factor that makes me want an ML vs. an E.
Any help on deciding between the 2? Thanks for your help, this is my first post.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Looking at the way you're explaining things, the ML500 should be a no brainer. Seems like reliability concerns are the only thing keeping you from an ML...?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Do what I did buy both. I have had an ML and E in our garage since 2000. Enjoy them both. Currently I have an 06 ML500 and a 05 E320 4M. The new ML is wonderful, heads and tails above the 98 and 02 that I had. Both E's have been very good but I think at this point I enjoy the current one over the 01. Look at your requirements and buy the one that fills your needs the best and with the highest percentage of meeting your requirements on the majority of your trips. FYI, the previous poster is a bit over 12 years old and his mother has an old ML so take what he said with a grain of salt. What ever you do purchase, good luck and enjoy it!!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by sosh
Do what I did buy both. I have had an ML and E in our garage since 2000. Enjoy them both. Currently I have an 06 ML500 and a 05 E320 4M. The new ML is wonderful, heads and tails above the 98 and 02 that I had. Both E's have been very good but I think at this point I enjoy the current one over the 01. Look at your requirements and buy the one that fills your needs the best and with the highest percentage of meeting your requirements on the majority of your trips. FYI, the previous poster is a bit over 12 years old and his mother has an old ML so take what he said with a grain of salt. What ever you do purchase, good luck and enjoy it!!
Any advice should be taken with a grain of salt. No matter who is giving the advice. Oh, and you've gotten my age wrong again, but I'll live with it.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:46 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLE 580 | 2020 Ram 1500 Limited
if u are looking at the E350 why are you not looking at the ML350

Last edited by btshep; 12-29-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:19 PM

Re: Jerseytuffguy, the ML350 is quite a bit slower than the E350, given the extra weight of the ML, so that is why I would opt for the ML500. Am I making a mistake thinking this way?

Re: Sosh, I guess that I am looking for input like yours, someone who knows both the E and the ML well. As you may tell, I'm leaning towards the ML, but having never driven an "SUV" as a regular driver, I am wondering if anyone has gotten really tired of the ML for their daily drive when compared to a sedan like the E350. I know it's purely a subjective question, but isn't that the point of forums like this?
Thanks again for any other advice or opinions anyone may have.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by ms40
Re: Jerseytuffguy, the ML350 is quite a bit slower than the E350, given the extra weight of the ML, so that is why I would opt for the ML500. Am I making a mistake thinking this way?

Re: Sosh, I guess that I am looking for input like yours, someone who knows both the E and the ML well. As you may tell, I'm leaning towards the ML, but having never driven an "SUV" as a regular driver, I am wondering if anyone has gotten really tired of the ML for their daily drive when compared to a sedan like the E350. I know it's purely a subjective question, but isn't that the point of forums like this?
Thats a good question, When I step into my garage before a trip the vehicle I take depends on the mood I am in. Its a coin toss, no I have not tired of either one. When I go to our beach house, a 100 mile drive I usually take the ML as we haul lots of stuff back and forth. As for the 350 vs the 500, my first ML was a 98 320 and it was fine. i purchased the second as a 500 because I liked all the extra stuff that came with it. Now that I am on my second 500 when I drive a 350, say as a loaner I really notice the difference. Downside of the 500 is the gas mileage but that does not have any effect on me. I use the ML as a daily driver and my wife uses the E as a daily driver. We are both active in our business and our daily miles are only 10 to 15 during the work week unless we go to the airport or even to NY. If gas mileage is a factor go with the E. If you live in an area with any snow and ice get a 4Matic E. With your young child the ML may make more sense as everyones situation is different. Its really a decision you must make.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I have experience with both, and I am a little biased, since like many W211 owners, I did not have the best experience. It drove quite nice, but the niggling quality issues kept coming up with no end in sight. And if we were comparing the E to the old ML, the E would win hands down. The old ML was a piece of s**t.

My experience with the ML so far has been good, and I don't see the same types of posts here that I do see on the W211 forum.

So I vote for the ML, however, it will be slower than an equivalent engined car in the E.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E220cdi Estate Avantgarde March 2008
Originally Posted by ms40

I've owned several E's over the years, and an ML. Oddly enough the ML is a great drive. More comfortable on a long journey than any other car I have ever driven. I think the high driving position is more natural and suits the human body better. And that was the old ML. The new one, has a majestic ride quality compared with the old one especially on poor roads. Reliabilty should be fine now the early teething troubles are over.

Here's a good reason to go for the ML. The E class will be replaced by a new model much sooner as the ML has just come out and the E will go in a year or two. residuals will favour the ML once the model changes. And the 5 litre V8 is an absolute honey.