M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

xenon lights install help...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 05:43 PM
mbfan03

xenon lights install help...

i purchased a kit from ebay with ballast and bulbs. i installed them and now my headlights flicker and i have to turn them on before i turn the car. if i try to use the heat or radio the lights go out or flicker. any ideas
Old 03-02-2007, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take it to the dealer and have them reprogram you car for xenon lights. Itll cost you about 115 bucks. Otherwise the flickering will be a never ending problem
Old 03-02-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wife's car2014 ml350
is there a huge differnce with the xenon's i just took a 3k road trip and figured out my lights suck!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:27 AM

E55
I had that problem with my dad's ML350 after the install. I couldn't find a dealer to program the HID "on" with the Star computer. There is a 5 dollar relay kit that fixed the problem. Might be more...
Old 03-15-2007, 04:52 PM
mbfan03

my car is at the mercedes dealer now and they are having a problem programing it. do you know how you got yours and went about it?
Old 03-17-2007, 06:10 AM

A160(Sold) C180(Sold), ML320(Dead! Sold) CDi, R300 CDi
wow, this question has been discuss for thousands time!! You should go to dealer to turn on 'Xenon'. If dealer don't know, you should try other dealer, some dealer know nothing. I talked to a dealer, he don't even know what is aftermarket Xenon kit.
Problem is Xenon is 35W and normal light 55W.

Kevin
Old 02-07-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C63
My HID's Flickering problem was solved after I added an aditional ground line to the ballasts.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
HID kits are futile ... not to mention illegal
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
Old 02-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 763 Likes on 742 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
ask ur HID supplier for a canceller...
Old 02-08-2008, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by lkchris
HID kits are futile ... not to mention illegal
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
Excellent article, mirrors my thoughts and past comments. People that do a retrofit are in fact leaving themselves wide open for not only a violation but a lawsuit if in fact its seen as a contibuting factor to an accident. The same holds true for an installer or dealer that "programs" the vehicle for the owner. Even if factory lights are used on MB's there still is no self leveling which does make the installation unapproved and illegal.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:34 PM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by sosh
Excellent article, mirrors my thoughts and past comments. People that do a retrofit are in fact leaving themselves wide open for not only a violation but a lawsuit if in fact its seen as a contibuting factor to an accident. The same holds true for an installer or dealer that "programs" the vehicle for the owner. Even if factory lights are used on MB's there still is no self leveling which does make the installation unapproved and illegal.
so what. chances of getting caught are slim to none esp if the lights are seen on cars like mercedes, bmw, audi, lexus.

i find it funny to find people like you who post comments like your's who tell others things like this are illegal. you are right to a point, but speeding is also illegal along with not paying taxes on income earned (ex... baby sitting, and other work done under the table). both which are done on an everyday basis.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by vinceching
so what. chances of getting caught are slim to none esp if the lights are seen on cars like mercedes, bmw, audi, lexus.

i find it funny to find people like you who post comments like your's who tell others things like this are illegal. you are right to a point, but speeding is also illegal along with not paying taxes on income earned (ex... baby sitting, and other work done under the table). both which are done on an everyday basis.
Chances of getting caught are very good if your State has a strict inspection enforcement program or, if you are involved in an accident that is followed by a State investigation. As for the other stuff you spoke about it is illegal as you say and lots of people do it but that does not make it right and there is no safety issue invoved with that as there is with car stuff. Lots of people get caught every year for that stuff also.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
From what I've read on the NHTSA website, autoleveling for HIDs is not required in the U.S.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:19 PM

2007 ML 500
Chances of getting caught are very good if your State has a strict inspection enforcement program or, if you are involved in an accident that is followed by a State investigation. As for the other stuff you spoke about it is illegal as you say and lots of people do it but that does not make it right and there is no safety issue invoved with that as there is with car stuff. Lots of people get caught every year for that stuff also.
which state would that be? i know hawaii has one and a friend says he has to do one in new jersey. if they do check your headlights, they check to make sure the beam pattern has the step format where it is lower on the driver's side.

self leveling is not what they look for as they do not put 100 lbs of crap in your backseat or trunk to make sure it auto levels. and if you install them correctly, and hide the wiring... the inspectors will not know.

my comments in my other post was geared towards you.

you tell the op that he shouldn't retrofit the xenons because they are illegal.

you still have not answered the question.. do you speed on the roads? if so, its illegal and you should stop.