M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Any way to control Dual Screen RSE from up front?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2007 | 07:44 AM

2004 S55
Any way to control Dual Screen RSE from up front?

For those who have the factory dual-screen RSE system, I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions for me.

- First, is there any way to control the system from the front, such as through the COMAND screen? I'm talking about basic things choosing which disc to play, etc. I have young kids who can't do this themselves. I'm concerned about having a hard time choosing a new disc for them after one has finished playing while driving.

- What's the procedure to turn the system on and get it going? In other words, after loading in the kids, does it take a while to get the system going and a DVD playing? I'm thinking that if you can only control the system from the rear, this process is probably an important consideration.

Thanks for any info.

Jeff
Old 03-06-2007 | 09:47 PM

2007 R320
I bought an '07 R320 with MB factory RSE / headrest monitors.

Most of the controls (playing, pausing, next track, etc.) must be operated from the rear headrest buttons and/or the remote control which comes with the RSE. The front Command can only control the volume of the RSE through the speakers, which sounds pretty good. This can be useful for you if your kids are too small to wear the plug-in headsets.

The volume can be heard from plug-in headsets. The volume can also be heard through the car speakers by the Command control, when you press on the "Audio" and select "Rear" or "Auxiliary". The Command owner's manual gives very easy/detailed instructions for this.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2007 | 11:49 AM

2004 S55
Originally Posted by RDriver
I bought an '07 R320 with MB factory RSE / headrest monitors.

Most of the controls (playing, pausing, next track, etc.) must be operated from the rear headrest buttons and/or the remote control which comes with the RSE. The front Command can only control the volume of the RSE through the speakers, which sounds pretty good. This can be useful for you if your kids are too small to wear the plug-in headsets.

The volume can be heard from plug-in headsets. The volume can also be heard through the car speakers by the Command control, when you press on the "Audio" and select "Rear" or "Auxiliary". The Command owner's manual gives very easy/detailed instructions for this.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. That was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Unfortunately, it confirms what I was assuming which is that playback control has to be done from the rear. I guess you could use the remote from up front by reaching back, but without being able to see the screen, that might prove ineffective. Anyways, thanks so much for your detailed response.

Jeff
Old 03-17-2007 | 08:01 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
Thanks. That was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Unfortunately, it confirms what I was assuming which is that playback control has to be done from the rear. I guess you could use the remote from up front by reaching back, but without being able to see the screen, that might prove ineffective. Anyways, thanks so much for your detailed response.

Jeff
actually you can get it to be controlled from the front... you need to add a an adapter that gives you a front video input on the command HU as well as a IR repeater assembly. the repeater gives you a front IR sensor on the HU itself which then sends the signal to the hardwired control input on the DVD.

the end result is you point the remote at the front screen and watch what is changing on the front monitor.