M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

How to oil change...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to oil change...

I saw another thread here about the oil changes on my ML320 CDI.

I'll get one of those pumps to get the oil out via dip-stick.

Here's my question, what's the oil filter situation on the model? Is it spin-on or a replaceable element type.

I plan to use the Amsoil product as I used in my other diesels engines.

All I've ever known is that Diesels run dirtier than a gas engine and oil should be changed often.
The dealer says the 10k routine is fine and that's all thats needed for their warranty.................. I on the other hand am concerned about AFTER their warranty.

Thoughts and comments ???
Old 08-12-2007, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by roadshadowww
I saw another thread here about the oil changes on my ML320 CDI.

I'll get one of those pumps to get the oil out via dip-stick.

Here's my question, what's the oil filter situation on the model? Is it spin-on or a replaceable element type.

All I've ever known is that Diesels run dirtier than a gas engine and oil should be changed often.
The dealer says the 10k routine is fine and that's all thats needed for their warranty.................. I on the other hand am concerned about AFTER their warranty.

First consideration is that Amsoil claims to have an oil that meets the MB Spec, but it is not listed in the approved products list by MB. I'm in the same thought process as you, but will use the approved Mobil 1 product while it's still under factory warranty. Once out of warranty, it'll get Redline, if they develop an oil that meets the spec.

Second, the filter is a cartridge type. A special wrench is required to properly remove the filter housing and retorque it back in place. That wrench is quite pricey.

Best place to get the filters (P/N is listed in your Service Booklet) is from Duval Motors in Gainesville, FL. They're an MBUSA dealer:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=213951

You have to remove the plastic engine shroud to access the filter. Once you know how, it's quite easy to remove and reinstall; but it's a little tricky until you get the hang of it.

I have 18,000 miles on mine. Oil and filter was changed at 1k, 5k, 10k and 15k miles. It takes exactly 9.5 qts to fill it, if you get all the old oil sucked out. Be sure to loosen the filter housing so that the oil will drain down into the pan; and allow a few minutes for it to completely drain the engine into the pan.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by roadshadowww

The Amsoil product for use on the ML320CDI (OM642 engine) is NOT the same oil that you can use in your other MB diesel engines.

The only AMSOIL product that claims to meet the MB Sheet 229.51 Spec (required for this engine) is Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40. The other Amoil oils do not meet the required spec; and will most certainly void your warranty while more rapidly plugging your DPF!
Old 08-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Almost a Member!

08 ML320CDI
Dutch,
Where are you purchasing your oil? I also live in ATL and should be taking delivery of an 08 ML320cdi this month. I have always changed the oil in my vehicles early on to get out wear in metals but have no idea where to get the correct oil.
Thanks
Dieselfan
Old 08-12-2007, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dieselfan
Dutch,
Where are you purchasing your oil? I also live in ATL and should be taking delivery of an 08 ML320cdi this month. I have always changed the oil in my vehicles early on to get out wear in metals but have no idea where to get the correct oil.
Thanks
Dieselfan
If you're getting your truck from Classic, see what they want to charge you for the oil. The specific Mobil 1 oil for that engine is only available from MBUSA.

I got mine from my delivering dealer - MB of South Atlanta, formerly Carriage House. (I live about 2 miles from Classic in Gwinnett, if that tells you anything.) It's available in 6 qt cases. I purchased 4 cases (24 qts) back in January for $5.25/qt.

They couldn't match the filter price from Duval, where I purchased them for $12.75 each.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Almost a Member!

08 ML320CDI
Thanks,
Classic is my delivering dealer. About 2 months ago I questioned the parts counter for the oil and they said that they had only the mobil 1 for the older cars and didn't know that there was anything different for the new cdi/ultra low sulfer motors... I guess that I will have to push them a bit further. Do the containers for the new oil specifically say 229.51 spec on them anywhere?
Dieselfan

Also are you topside oil changing or are you doing it the conventional way with the drainplug?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dieselfan
Thanks,
Classic is my delivering dealer. About 2 months ago I questioned the parts counter for the oil and they said that they had only the mobil 1 for the older cars and didn't know that there was anything different for the new cdi/ultra low sulfer motors... I guess that I will have to push them a bit further. Do the containers for the new oil specifically say 229.51 spec on them anywhere?
Dieselfan

Also are you topside oil changing or are you doing it the conventional way with the drainplug?
That response from Classic's Parts Department sounds very typical; and is one of the reasons I purchased at MB of South Atlanta - even though it's an extra 45 mile drive through Atlanta traffic. Wait till you ask and see how much they take the MB Suggested List Price for parts and mark it UP!! (PS - It's +50-100%!!)

There are only two oils listed as approved in the Service Booklet you'll get with your car, although they could have added some since mine was printed. The Mobil 1 oil that is required is: Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40; and it's only available at MBUSA dealers. You can NOT use the oil for the older vehicles; and the Classic Parts Department should know this.

Here's what I use to evacuate the oil through the dipstick tube:

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MIT-7201.html

Stay away from the Topsider brand unit. It'll frustrate the h*ll out of you.

If you'd like to discuss particulars off the list, drop me an email at: gwagen at bellsouth dot net; and we can exchange phone numbers.

Last edited by DUTCH; 08-13-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:28 PM

ML 320
Exclamation OIL change PUMP unit 07201 mity fluid evacuator CHeck this area

HI i purchased the pump you had in your link..

thanks for the link..It has not come in yet..

wondering how much easier it has been for yourself to change your oil now..

also this will be my first oil change with my ML320 1999.....

have you used the mobile 1 0W-40...or would you rather used 5W-40..

mobile 1 or amsoil..

let me know I am going to change the oil when the filters and pump get delivered...

I found it for a little less on Ebay from this user...
he has a few more left..

he charges $59
his ebay name
eBay My World: joeys_wholesale_automotive_tools

HEY i have one question..
I am getting the shot gun sound from my power door locks can you guide me to the right link or if you can help me trouble shoot the problem..

my passenger front door does not work..
only if I pull the knob up and down it locks and unlocks.

also my BACK trunk door unlocks....BUT DOES NOT LOCK..
i have to manually switch the button to lock the trunk ....

would the problem from the front door issue be causing the trunk to malfunction.
or is this 2 different problems????

and if you could I would like to see a link on how to disassemble the front door.
I seen someone here have a really good example with photos..but my browser crapped out when i was trying to print the photos out..

again thanks ...
Sim