M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML: What do you like about it and what would you change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2007 | 11:42 AM

Lexus IS350
ML: What do you like about it and what would you change?

As stated in an earlier post, I will be looking at the MLxxx as a replacement to my wife's current SUV, being the XC90 V8. While a newer Volvo is a consideration, I have always liked the German vehicles in terms of drive quality, interior/exterior design and safety. The X5 would be on my short list but there isn’t enough cargo space to accommodate a family of four plus a dog. My question to the group, what do you like about it and what would you change. There is always something that doesn’t show during a test drive but will be noticed after many miles/klms of driving. This would also include options which seem like a good idea when ordering the car but are seldom used to the features that become must have (perhaps due to future resale considerations).

Did you compare the ML against another similar vehicle? If so, why was the ML selected over the competition?

I am not trolling for answers but trying to make a very informed decision about our next vehicle. We have historically gone with a 2-3 year lease but this time will be different. We will be keeping it for the next 5-7 years. My wife is getting tired of the frequency of car shopping.

Regards,
NHman
Old 09-29-2007 | 12:51 PM

ML 320 CDI
My W164 ML320 CDI is a year old now and has covered 17k miles.

I wouldn't change a thing except for maybe having the air-matic suspension next time, I had it on my W211 E class and I miss it.
Definately have Comand, heated seats, memory seats, leather, parktronic, a nice dark colour ( it really suits the ML ) cd-changer, privacy glass, bi-xenons and make sure it's a 320 cdi as it is brilliant.
Old 09-29-2007 | 02:52 PM

2011 E-class coupe, 2012 C-class
I miss the leather inserts on the door panels, you can get them from Brabus.
Old 09-29-2007 | 05:54 PM

ML 320 CDI
Originally Posted by AR.Shah
I miss the leather inserts on the door panels, you can get them from Brabus.

Yep me too
Old 09-30-2007 | 07:27 AM

2011 E-class coupe, 2012 C-class
Originally Posted by marcos
Yep me too
These would be nice, you can also get them with the leather/alcantara combination (Alcantara/Leder schwarz für Sportpaket SA Code 952).

http://cgi.ebay.de/BRABUS-Tuerverkle...ayphotohosting

Last edited by AR.Shah; 09-30-2007 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2007 | 07:21 AM

08 ML550, 08 Lancer Evolution X
give me air-matic suspension and delete the nav
Old 10-01-2007 | 10:17 AM

For what its worth -- After approx. 20,000 miles in a 2006 ML350, my thoughts are as follows. Overall quality far better than W163. The few negatives IMO are large rear pillars creating relatively big blind spots compared to the W163. (Rear camera would be somewhat of a help). Mediocre nav system - make sure your car comes with the latest DVD (2007.1). Rear storage area poorly designed for those of us who are golfers - as bags will only fit in at an angle and not simply laid left to right. Very poor mileage wear on the OEM Continental tires. Extremely loud fan in engine compartment when the A/C is on. Ridiculous depreciation once you drive the ML out of the showroom. Certainly the ride and creature comforts are far superior to the W163. If you decide that this is the car for you - make sure your dealer is one who you can work with - remember sales is only important when you are buying but service will be with you for the life of your ownership. Keep in mind that if you have problems - MB corp is at best mediocre when it comes to customer service. Your dealer is the key to enjoyment of the vehicle if you by chance have problems.
Old 02-06-2008 | 12:47 AM

2007 ML320 CDI
Having come from a Volvo V70R and recently having bought a P3 2007 ML320 CDI I have a few things I really like and a few that are annoying.

Good:
1. Great gas mileage. I drove 1600 miles in my first 2 days (don't ask) and typically went 70mph. I averaged 25.1mpg!
2. Great comfort inside-very comfortable seats
3. Airmatic is very nice--sport is great
4. Good stereo (aka sound

Bad:
1) ipod integration kit is a joke. Why can't I shuffle playlists? Why does the COMAND main module seem clueless to the ipod?
2) MBenz navigation sucks compared to the Volvo system. Very hard to use and ugly map screen
3) With that whole big COMAND screen why do I have to hit INFO to see what song/artist is playing?
Old 02-06-2008 | 09:41 AM

2011 ML 350, 2009 Smart Passion, 2004 Audi TT Quattro
Originally Posted by cschmelz
3) With that whole big COMAND screen why do I have to hit INFO to see what song/artist is playing?
+1
Old 02-06-2008 | 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
just got a 06 ml500. don't like that you cannot select pre-set stations from the steering wheel instead of going up thru every frequency. got keyless go and like it. did not have memory seats or airmatic.
Old 02-06-2008 | 11:48 AM

2006 ML500
+1 on the nav system. Even a passenger who was riding in the car and considering buying an ML commented it looked very antiquated. I saw my friends new Garmin nav and it is unbelievable. Pretty sad a $700 aftermarket nav unit can run circles around the one in a $50k plus SUV!!

Other than that....I think the tranny shifts a bit early (for economy reasons I'm sure) which makes it feel a bit sluggish unless you get into the gas a bit.

Other grips....um.....folding mirrors would be nice on all models.....back seat is a little tight for rear passengers.....and a bit better bass would be nice for an HK system.

That about wraps it up! Overall, I think it is an outstanding vehicle and these are very minor grips. After owning AMG CL's, S-classes, and E-classes, I was very surprised to find the regular ol' ML to be my favorite!!
Old 02-06-2008 | 11:51 AM

2006 ML500
Oh yeah...boogers is right....why not cycle through memory presets on steering wheel and no memory seats on all models?! I agree with that complaint!

This is where Acura has is right....load the damn cars up with luxury and just leave a nav system as an option.
Old 02-06-2008 | 12:02 PM

2007 ML350
Originally Posted by theboogers
just got a 06 ml500. don't like that you cannot select pre-set stations from the steering wheel instead of going up thru every frequency. got keyless go and like it. did not have memory seats or airmatic.
I have 07 ml350, & you can go to the pre-set stations from the steering wheel. Im going to make this change myself. Pg 178 in the Operators Manual.

Like the P2 package, but dont like the Comand Nav . It should be a touch screen like my $300 Garmin. The Bose stereo on my traded ML320,was alot better then the HK system

Last edited by 350911; 02-06-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2008 | 12:47 PM

ML350
Ditto. The NAV is truly horrid. My first NAV came in our '07 Escalade, and it's interface is great, especially with its 8" touch-screen. Spoiled I guess.

Problem is, with a portable NAV, you may get your door glass broken by someone wanting it for themselves, while parked at the mall.

Dave
Old 02-06-2008 | 12:52 PM

2011 ML 350, 2009 Smart Passion, 2004 Audi TT Quattro
Originally Posted by AWFAXIS
Ditto. The NAV is truly horrid. My first NAV came in our '07 Escalade, and it's interface is great, especially with its 8" touch-screen. Spoiled I guess.

Problem is, with a portable NAV, you may get your door glass broken by someone wanting it for themselves, while parked at the mall.

Dave
Then you just remove it and put it in the glove box or the center console.
Old 02-06-2008 | 05:53 PM

2007 ML63 ///AMG
I've got an 07 ML500 and love it to death. My only change? MAKE A CLOCK WHERE THE PASSENGER CAN SEE IT AS WELL!
Old 02-09-2008 | 06:59 AM
Almost a Member!

All the previous posts are spot-on...I actually like the intersection detail on the nav better than what I get on my older Garmin, but overall, the Nav/COMAND should be better on a vehicle like this.

I also like how well lighted the interior is, especially as you unlock the vehicle in a dark parking lot. I love my CDI gas mileage. I also love the transmission control stalk on the steering wheel--I didn't take any particular notice of it during my shopping, but now, when I rent a car, I feel totally inconvenienced by the normal shift methods. I'd get Parktronic (or maybe the rear-view camera) if I were to do it again; he's a bit of a beast to parallel park. It's got pretty big blind spots front and back--something to be aware of.

I compared the X5 for quite a while. I need a FLAT cargo area with the seats down--this is not a common feature, but the X5 has it with the 3d row of seats (which I didn't need or want). Both vehicles are very nice, and I liked and disliked various minor features of both. In the end, I finally went with the MB because I was uncomfortable with the BMW's run-flat tires w/no spare. I think that combo would be terrific in a large metro area, but I like to "run away" for the weekend as often as possible, and was concerned about getting stuck in the boonies with a flat and no spare. BMW could never quite explain how that would work, even with their roadside assistance program.

I've had my CDI since last July, and couldn't be more pleased overall.
Old 02-09-2008 | 08:05 AM

2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by kimcork
I compared the X5 for quite a while. In the end, I finally went with the MB because I was uncomfortable with the BMW's run-flat tires w/no spare. I think that combo would be terrific in a large metro area, but I like to "run away" for the weekend as often as possible, and was concerned about getting stuck in the boonies with a flat and no spare. BMW could never quite explain how that would work, even with their roadside assistance program.

I've had my CDI since last July, and couldn't be more pleased overall.
+ 1. BMW's recent move to run-flats turned me off as well. The chances that any place other than a BMW dealer might have a spare run-flat in stock are pretty slim. Add to this that BMW does not condone repairing a run-flat, and you have a recipe for being stranded. BMW makes some great vehicles, but from time to time, they have some really stupid ideas like run-flats & i-drive.
Old 02-10-2008 | 07:16 AM
Almost a Member!

I concluded the cost of run flats -- they don't last long at all, and you're right, BMW seems to expect you to buy a new wheel and tire when you actually drive on the "flat tire" -- would completely balance the free maintenance. Better to just pay for maintenance.
Old 02-10-2008 | 12:54 PM

ML320 CDI/H2 SUT
We really like our ML. I wish it had leather standard. We bought one off the lot that didn't have leather. The side mirrors seem a little small. I wish I had gotten a hitch. Other than that though the truck has been fine so far. To be honest I hardly ever drive it but the wife loves it. She had an X5 and says she likes this one better.
Old 02-13-2008 | 03:27 PM

His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Have around 20k miles on my CDI P3. If I had to do it again, I would have waited for the '08 so I could get the Keyless Go option, and heated windshield washers.

If I could help in the design, I would make the Headlight washers with some sort of heating so that the actually work below 30 degrees. (Yes I use -30 washer fluid, doesn't help. They freeze up like nobody's business.)

On the good side, it's a diesel, so mileage is comparable to a Civic, with the torque of an average V8!!! And there is NO smoke/fumes/diesel clunking!!

On the bad side, can Mercedes please allow us an oil that we can buy at NAPA??? And an engine block heater for us US customers would be nice.
Old 02-13-2008 | 03:34 PM

His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Oh, and in an answer to NHman's original question about comparisons, I compared this to the Infinity FX. Chose the Benz because infinity had no diesel, less mileage, and with an equally optioned vehicle, for $7000 more I would be driving a Mercedes!!! No brainer.
Old 02-13-2008 | 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
2006 ML350 46k miles:

Nice Layout To The Interior
Ample Power From A V6
Resale Value When Traded In At 50k When Warranty Expires
Decent Sound From Standard Radio
Doors Still Have That Solid Feeling After Almost 50k Miles
Xenon Headlights

Dislikes:
Rides Like A Truck (Standard Suspension)
Shocks (On My Sixth Set)
Steering (Vague At Best, No Feedback, Not As Easy To Turn As I Would Like)
Clock (Only The Driver Can See It, Its Not As Easy To Read At A Quick Glance)
Mirrors (Much Too Small For A Vehicle Of This Size)
Blind Spots (Goes Along With The Mirror Size)
Tire Wear (Factory Tires Gone In 12k, After Market Tires Showing Lots Of Wear On Rear Passenger Tire While The Rest Are Still Good)
Rear Seat Leg Room What Rear Seat Legroom?
Option Packages (This Is More Of A Complaint About The New ML Option Package As Everything Is Now Lumped Into A Big Package Even If You Don't Want, Won't Use, Or Can't Afford It. Xenon Lights Now Part Of P2, So Instead Of Being A $900 Option They Are A $5,650 Option.

Keep in mind that a refresh will happen for the 2009 model year and while only minor enhancements are to happen on the outside (new mirrors for one), there are rumors that the big enhancement will be with the interior.
Old 02-14-2008 | 08:36 PM

2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Originally Posted by krown
I've got an 07 ML500 and love it to death. My only change? MAKE A CLOCK WHERE THE PASSENGER CAN SEE IT AS WELL!
+1

I love my 350

It's solid, elegant, comfortable, powerful and quiet.

I also plan on keeping it for a while.

Had the same thought about the clock but really... who cares?

Screw the passengers

kidding

Good luck with yours.