M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Do Not Install EBC Redstuff Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
Do Not Install EBC Redstuff Pads

.....unless you want your rotors to have ronouts. Before I bought a set, I asked EBC how these pads would affect the rotors. They said it will not be a problem. Now my OEM rotors have runouts and there is shudder when I brake at high speeds. After I complained, EBC said this is a common issue with ML rotors. If they knew this is a common issue, why keep selling it for MLs? Yes, I know, $$$. I asked for a technical explanation and their reply is they cannot do anything for me unless I buy a set of EBC rotors, they can give me a 35% discount. You know, the classic "duck and dodge the bullet and blame it on something else" routine. The reason why I changed the pads is because the OEM pads are nearing replacement and I wanted less dust. What a mistake. MB does not reccommend resurfacing any of their rotors as they are already close to minimum thickness. They just replace it instead. So now I am looking for an aftermarket kit, i.e. Brembo. BTW, the dust on the EBC Redstuff is not much less than OEM.

Anyone know a reputable aftermarket brake kit for w164s other than Brembo? I'm looking for drilled or slotted BBK.

Last edited by Flipsonic; 11-06-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:08 PM

2011 E-class coupe, 2012 C-class
Bl**dy hell.. After having read your initial thread I too wanted the Redstuff pads, since the brake indicator is appearing every day and dust is my biggest problem. See it yourself:

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164/196309-ebc-red-stuff-brake-pads.html

I ordered mine over three weeks ago and so far only the rear pads have arrived, I have purchased these and put them aside, still waiting for the front pads to arrive. Most reviews that I found, were positive towards these pads, but none had tested them on a ML. Perhaps I should cancel my order and try to return the rear pads? Any advise would be great, thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:40 PM

2006 ML350
I would suggest returning them or buy a set of EBC rotors. My opinion is the Red Stuff pads are not compatible with the OEM rotors.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Almost a Member!

08 ML320CDI
Flipsonic hope you get things worked out.

AR. Shah I hate to say this but... do you remember this comment that I wrote in the other thread about ebc redstuff...

I have not heard the best things about EBC pads. This came from a brake guru directly when I was asking if EBC would be ok as they appear to be the only ones out there right now for the w164...

EBC Greenstuff is to be avoided, since they will very likely cause brake judder issues. This happens so often that EBC even created a "troubleshooter" web page to try to deflect criticisms away from these dreadful pads and onto the tires, rotors, installer, etc. http://www.ebcbrakes.com/TroubleShooter.html

I know that they have changed their design/composition and most are using the red stuff and not the green but...

Hopefully those that have will enjoy and not have issues. I myself will wait for pads from Axxis

dieselfan
Old 11-07-2007, 02:36 AM

Dieselfan: Yes you were right but there was no test to prove it until now. I spoke with a S211 E320 CDI st.wagon owner and he recomended these redstuff pads, very little dust. Only problem was that they were slightly noisy but as he said, the heavy weight of the ML would create more friction and therefore compensate this. So sad that there are no other less dust producing pads avialible on the market
Old 11-07-2007, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
I would suggest returning them or buy a set of EBC rotors. My opinion is the Red Stuff pads are not compatible with the OEM rotors.
Btw do you have any pictures of your rotors? I would like to show them to the place where I bought my pads. Thanks