M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads

I finally received my EBC Red Stuff brake pads and have installed them. It's only been 150 miles since the installation. I can't report yet on performace since it's still in the "bedding in period" (deglazing the rotors). I should be able to report on performance and dusting after 1000 miles. Currently, I do not experience braking improvement and less dusting. Also, there is slight squealing. The EBC website explains this is normal during the "bedding in" period and should improve after 1000 miles of city driving. I will update this thread after the bedding in period is over.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:54 AM

2011 E-class coupe, 2012 C-class
Originally Posted by Flipsonic
I finally received my EBC Red Stuff brake pads and have installed them. It's only been 150 miles since the installation. I can't report yet on performace since it's still in the "bedding in period" (deglazing the rotors). I should be able to report on performance and dusting after 1000 miles. Currently, I do not experience braking improvement and less dusting. Also, there is slight squealing. The EBC website explains this is normal during the "bedding in" period and should improve after 1000 miles of city driving. I will update this thread after the bedding in period is over.
Wow that s good, looking forward to see your results as brakedust is my biggest problem with keeping the car clean. Keep us posted
Old 06-02-2007, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by AR.Shah
Wow that s good, looking forward to see your results as brakedust is my biggest problem with keeping the car clean. Keep us posted
Rotex are also good pads. Not sure if they're available yet for the W164; but when they are, I'll get them.

I have them on my G500. Dustless, quiet and good braking performance.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by DUTCH
Rotex are also good pads. Not sure if they're available yet for the W164; but when they are, I'll get them.

I have them on my G500. Dustless, quiet and good braking performance.
Sounds promising, did you change the brakediscs too or just the pads?
Old 06-02-2007, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sounds promising, did you change the brakediscs too or just the pads?
Pads only. The rotors were A-OK.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
Hi
Any update on those pads? I have 27.000 km or 17.000 miles on the car and the brake wear sign is appearing in the instrument cluster. I am seriously looking into these pads as Im tired of brakedust. Thanks in advance
Old 10-11-2007, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
I had EBC Greenstuff in my C32 and I thought they were pretty good, bit soft so they wore a bit quick but dust was very good.

I've since put Redstuff on my C43 and they feel a bit more like OEM pads but the dust is very low. Basicly they just need a wash when I wash the car, with OEM I had to keep washing the wheels and not the car!

They are well worth the cost, they're no harder on rotors than OEM either.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
I had EBC Greenstuff in my C32 and I thought they were pretty good, bit soft so they wore a bit quick but dust was very good.

I've since put Redstuff on my C43 and they feel a bit more like OEM pads but the dust is very low. Basicly they just need a wash when I wash the car, with OEM I had to keep washing the wheels and not the car!

They are well worth the cost, they're no harder on rotors than OEM either.
Thank you on the review, I have exactly the same problem, the alloys are totally covered black with brakedust in just one day. I think I'm going to get these Redstuff pads today
Old 10-11-2007, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have Rotex Gold on my G500. They are quiet, dustless and perform very well.

I plan to put them on my W164, although the rears are not yet available.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by DUTCH
I have Rotex Gold on my G500. They are quiet, dustless and perform very well.

I plan to put them on my W164, although the rears are not yet available.
Dustless sounds quite amazing. Not sure if the Rotex are avialiable here in Europe..
Old 10-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Almost a Member!

ML500 190E 2.3-16
I had the dust problem on my euro c but not on the american ml why dont you try the american version of the original pads AR.Shah? Believe me I have kicked myself fot going aftermarket on pads maybe 50% of the time they kill the rotors.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by adarquea
I had the dust problem on my euro c but not on the american ml why dont you try the american version of the original pads AR.Shah? Believe me I have kicked myself fot going aftermarket on pads maybe 50% of the time they kill the rotors.
Believe me, the US pads on mine are some of the dirtiest I have ever seen.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by adarquea
That sounds incredible, original American pads? Those are probably the ones I have on my ML as it was produced in Alabama.. And yes as Dutch stated, they are the dirtiest ones I ever had too. In just two days the wheels turn utterly black and in rainy conditions its even harder to get the black dust off. Im still waiting for my Redstuff pads
Old 10-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Almost a Member!

08 ML320CDI
I have not heard the best things about EBC pads. This came from a brake guru directly when I was asking if EBC would be ok as they appear to be the only ones out there right now for the w164...

EBC Greenstuff is to be avoided, since they will very likely cause brake judder issues. This happens so often that EBC even created a "troubleshooter" web page to try to deflect criticisms away from these dreadful pads and onto the tires, rotors, installer, etc. http://www.ebcbrakes.com/TroubleShooter.html

I know that they have changed their design/composition and most are using the red stuff and not the green but...

Hopefully those that have will enjoy and not have issues. I myself will wait for pads from Axxis

dieselfan
Old 10-26-2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfan
I have not heard the best things about EBC pads. This came from a brake guru directly when I was asking if EBC would be ok as they appear to be the only ones out there right now for the w164...

EBC Greenstuff is to be avoided, since they will very likely cause brake judder issues. This happens so often that EBC even created a "troubleshooter" web page to try to deflect criticisms away from these dreadful pads and onto the tires, rotors, installer, etc. http://www.ebcbrakes.com/TroubleShooter.html

I know that they have changed their design/composition and most are using the red stuff and not the green but...

Hopefully those that have will enjoy and not have issues. I myself will wait for pads from Axxis

dieselfan
The greenstuff ones are usually for cars with less than 200hp and they redstuff ones are for those over 200hp, besides only the redstuff ones are avaliable for the W164. Brakedust also depends on your driving pattern, I drive fast and brake hard some times and 90% of my driving is urban. If I drove highway every day then I wouldnt get any brakedust at all.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Almost a Member!

ML500 190E 2.3-16
When I change my pads I will post the oem manufacturer cause I dont have dirty rims.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Almost a Member!

08 ML320CDI
The greenstuff ones are usually for cars with less than 200hp and they redstuff ones are for those over 200hp, besides only the redstuff ones are avaliable for the W164. Brakedust also depends on your driving pattern, I drive fast and brake hard some times and 90% of my driving is urban. If I drove highway every day then I wouldnt get any brakedust at all.
Actually you would have brake dust as a disc brake setup keeps the pads in constant contact with the rotors. You would have less dust but not none... Good luck with whatever pads you choose but I won't run EBC redstuff myself. They aren't considered a low dust pad and haven't gotten the best praise from users if you search on the net.

I assure you that my driving habits are gentle on the brakes and I have tons of brake dust that can be minimized by using a different pad compound. Red Stuff won't be that compound.

Dieselfan
Old 10-26-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfan
They aren't considered a low dust pad and haven't gotten the best praise from users if you search on the net.

I assure you that my driving habits are gentle on the brakes and I have tons of brake dust that can be minimized by using a different pad compound. Red Stuff won't be that compound.

Dieselfan
You're right about the dust issue, they wont be totally dustfree, thats for sure . There are two types of redstuff pads, for the W164 its their new and far improved ceramic dust reducing pads that do not fade, harm the rotors or wear down in no time. According to tests they are getting very nice reviews by users and they are superior to a lot of other brands e.g. Axxis etc. See below:

http://www.subiegal.com/productrevie...uff_review.htm

Anyway I guess the real test will be when I get mine I'll keep you posted with my results.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're right about the dust issue, they wont be totally dustfree, thats for sure . There are two types of redstuff pads, for the W164 its their new and far improved ceramic dust reducing pads that do not fade, harm the rotors or wear down in no time. According to tests they are getting very nice reviews by users and they are superior to a lot of other brands e.g. Axxis etc. See below:

http://www.subiegal.com/productrevie...uff_review.htm

Anyway I guess the real test will be when I get mine I'll keep you posted with my results.
My brake pad supplier says that they do have a bit of squeal; i.e noisy. The Greens are supposed to be quieter, but dustier.