M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML320CDI Fuel and Air Filters Changed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
ML320CDI Fuel and Air Filters Changed

This job is not your average DIY job; and since the air filters have to be removed to access the fuel fillter, it's definitely a job to be done at the same time.

25K on my ML320CDI. Disassembly is major to remove and change the filters. (Why can't they make them as easy as the oil filter?!??!!) Neither the W164 nor the R320CDI Service DVD's provide complete instructions. It's a matter of removing this to get at that - some of which is intuitive and some of which is not. It'll take me 6-8 hrs before all is said and done. Next time it will probably be 2-3 hrs.

The air filters were so dirty that they were almost sealed over with trash. I'll bet my fuel economy and/or engine power improve with this maintenance.

My recommendation is to let your favorite trusted mechanic do it for you; and, no, I didn't take pictures.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by DUTCH
This job is not your average DIY job; and since the air filters have to be removed to access the fuel fillter, it's definitely a job to be done at the same time.

25K on my ML320CDI. Disassembly is major to remove and change the filters. (Why can't they make them as easy as the oil filter?!??!!) Neither the W164 nor the R320CDI Service DVD's provide complete instructions. It's a matter of removing this to get at that - some of which is intuitive and some of which is not. It'll take me 6-8 hrs before all is said and done. Next time it will probably be 2-3 hrs.

The air filters were so dirty that they were almost sealed over with trash. I'll bet my fuel economy and/or engine power improve with this maintenance.

My recommendation is to let your favorite trusted mechanic do it for you; and, no, I didn't take pictures.
What a crock. As much as I love my GL 320, they sure went out of their way to make simple tasks difficult. You should be able to replace an air filter without any tools in minutes, not hours. The same applies to the batteries which are tucked under the passenger seat, under the carpet.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DUTCH
I just discovered that the ECU Adaptation needs to be reset when changing the air filters. One more reason to let your freindly MB mechanic do the job. Interesting!!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Wish you had pictures. I had a B service done recently and it supposedly included an air filter change. Funny thing is I could get a glimpse of my truck on the lift in the service bay, and didn't notice the tech doing anything out of the ordinary. He was also done the entire service in about 2 hrs, including the recall on the crank sensor. Either he was really good or my air filters weren't changed, as it looks like its a 3 hr job in itself. Oh, they also said that fuel filters are only changed every 100k on the diesels. Yet manual says every 20K. So...it looks like I am back to the DIY state with a brand new 60K car.
Dutch, feel free to post as much info on the job to guide me and a lot of others through this. Thanks for being the pioneer.
Also, whats this about ECU adaptations being reset???
Old 03-22-2008, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Also, whats this about ECU adaptations being reset???
Requires the Star Diagnosis System or DAS to reset it.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by scottybdiving
What a crock. As much as I love my GL 320, they sure went out of their way to make simple tasks difficult.
It's worse on a GL than an ML as the ML doesn't have the crossbar between suspension towers. WIS states that crossbar must be removed before removing the engine trim panel.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 ML320CDI
I would imagine that if you had done a few of these air filter swaps it could be done in just a couple of hours for a complete B service at the dealer... I saw Dutch reassemble the filters and there was definately a learning curve... You know 2 hrs on one side and 1/2 hr on the other. You just have to be patient and careful and it all comes apart and goes back together.
Dieselfan