M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Voice Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 W164 ML350
steering wheel

I have both steering wheels, my car was built without VC, and I purchased a wood wheel on ebay that came with the voice control already fitted.

The control unit in the steering wheel of both wheels internals has the same part number, and the non VC has the facility to plug the left and right hand button module in that has the VC.

So I believe that you will only need to purchase the left and right button assemblies, not the entire wheel.

I can take photos if requested.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
XJ9, is there a way for me to look inder the rear seat and see if my truck has the plug?

hotml350, HALLELUJAH! I had a good feeling about he button part at least. I think what you say is correct. It probably is just a matter or replacing the buttons.

Thanks guys for all your great input!

Jose
Old 01-09-2008, 12:57 AM

2006 W164 ML350
plug location

i am going to look for the plug as well, which side of the car is it?

I have the plug for distronic even though my car wasnt fitted with it, so i am hoping I have the voice control plug under the rear seat as well
Old 01-09-2008, 01:44 PM

2003 MERCEDES C230, 2008 ML 350
It is also a possibility that in 2006, MB was installing the harness part of a standard wiring scheme but somebody said
Oh! We can save money!
so the later cars don't have it.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:43 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by baxterdown
XJ9, is there a way for me to look inder the rear seat and see if my truck has the plug?

Jose
you can pull up the rear driver side seat and then pull the fiber cover up to expose the module rack underneath (no connectors need to be removed to do this). if vcs was prewired (and im not saying it is) then you should see a 2-20 (2 fiber plus 20 contacts) connector sitting loose next to the large harness. I have not seen any ML with the VCS prewire though: just factory installed and no vcs.

On a related note, one of the mid city guys stopped by the dealer today and I related this discussion. He said that they have a working vcs retrofit kit right now but it requires opening the existing MHI module connector and popping in and out some of the small connector pins so they havent been promoting it much since it requires professional installation. He also noted that they are currently working on a complete plug-and-play kit that would use factory connectors but have not been able to find all of the plugs from germany yet. If anyone is interested they might want to give them a call.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:42 AM

Gret info.
Where is Mid City located and what is their telephone?
Thank you
Old 01-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
http://www.midcityengineering.com/
Old 01-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
XJ9
I have been talking to them for a few months now, well almost 9 months about doing that kit - Rob and Dan are who I spoke to, I sent them an email last night also checking the progress

I also got in touch with Steve at MBenzNL (Thanks to Baxterdown) - and it appears that a reprogram of the using Star "may be needed" - so I have asked for clarification on that;

At this point I'm prepared to drive down to CA when he is there in march, and get the work done; While I nice drive from the rockies, not really one I want to do in the winter...

When Mid city gets back to me, I will share - I think that if a number of people are interested (ie committed to this) they may be able to the kit down faster, and with less costs;

I suggest if your interested and really committed to this, that you let them know (I have) and maybe we can get them to commit extra resources for the development of this kit for us all;

tk
Old 01-10-2008, 04:16 PM

2006 W164 ML350
I am interested
Old 01-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
I just got a note back from Midcity, and they are telling me that the kit is almost ready, waiting on some connectors, and testing, hopefully done next week; and the kit should be plug and play is what I'm told; I would suggest that you intend to install this kit yourself, or with someone local to you, that you give mid city a call/email ( sales@midcityengineering.com ) and let them know;

I got an update from Steve, and there is currently no committed time frame for when he will be in CA, so I'm going ahead with the Midcity kit after they test it; I had great success with the SAT radio kit they did, very professional kit, so I have no concerns on the VCS kit
Old 01-10-2008, 09:38 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
Guys, this is turning to be an AWESOME thread!!! I am amazed at the power of all of us thinking this through.

I am definitely interested. If the price is reasonable, count me in!

XJ9, I'm gonna look tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

Jose
Old 01-10-2008, 10:07 PM

I E-mailed Mid City too, expressing my interest.
I need to find somebody capable of installing it in my area. I live in Santa Rosa, 55 miles north of Golden Gate bridge, San Francisco.
If you know anybody capable in this area please refer.
Thanks.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:42 AM

1972 280SE 4.5
XJ9,

I looked under the back seat in my truck. Since I don't know what the VCS harness looks like and I didn't find anything that looked like what you described, I decided to take photos! Below are pics of what I found.

#1 - General view of a couple of modules on the floor on the driver's side.
#2 - This photo shows what appears to be a capped harness on the floor on the driver's side.
#3 - There are no modules on the floor on the passenger's side. But, most definitely there are wire harnesses. This pic shows what appears to be a capped harness on the floor.
#4 - There are two uncapped harnesses strapped to the exterior side wall on the passenger's side.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jose
Attached Thumbnails Voice Control-drv_floor_01.jpg   Voice Control-drv_floor_02.jpg   Voice Control-pax_floor.jpg   Voice Control-pax_wall.jpg  
Old 01-12-2008, 08:44 PM

2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Originally Posted by tkeskic
baxterdown
I have the button (which didn't surprise me as I ordered VC) - however it doesn't do anything - I was told after weeks of investigating my the dealer that the factory started installing the steering wheel with the VC buttons on all 2007 and later models to reduce costs etc; however there was no pre-wire for it if you didn't do a factory order. I have seen some documents that appear to support if you have the cell prewire, the VCS module sits in the command chain for that option, and should be a simple plug in module (somewhere I think I still have the part numbers) - the dealers will not touch the addition of either the SAT Radio or the VCS - however I was able to add SAT radio when all the dealers (US and Canadian), and MB said it wasn't possible - I think they are full of crap often on the pre-wire stuff to reduce the number of people of that try to mess with the system. But again, I dont know that for sure - but I managed to add the SAT radio so far without any issues when I was told it was not possible;

tk

I was also told Sat could not be added after market. How did you get it done and how much did it cost??

Thanks
Old 01-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
Contact Midcity Engineering, there website is listed in this thread along with email etc and my comments about the kit..

I had an audio instal company that had never done one, follow the directions and pictures they provided, and it was very easy to do is what the audio installer had said; They had done some for BMW's and other cars and had some concept of the install; but it was the first benz one they did and it was flawless for them - they were impressed with the kit, and I believe worked out a deal to supply their customers the same kit I got from them; The install is about 2.5 hours, my guys took a little longer than what mid city said it would take, but thats expected as they have build the kit, also worked on the fiber stuff before; the audio guys I used had never touched fiber and wanted to be extra careful if you know what I mean;

tk
Old 01-13-2008, 01:00 PM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by baxterdown
XJ9,

I looked under the back seat in my truck. Since I don't know what the VCS harness looks like and I didn't find anything that looked like what you described, I decided to take photos! Below are pics of what I found.

#1 - General view of a couple of modules on the floor on the driver's side.
#2 - This photo shows what appears to be a capped harness on the floor on the driver's side.
#3 - There are no modules on the floor on the passenger's side. But, most definitely there are wire harnesses. This pic shows what appears to be a capped harness on the floor.
#4 - There are two uncapped harnesses strapped to the exterior side wall on the passenger's side.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jose

None of those are the connectors: for an idea of what it looks like pull the plug from the MHI unit (the big silver box on the left in your first pic) It will look like that connector except that it does not have the gray locking cam and has 2 fiber optic cables built into the connector shell. Ill take a pic of the connector on monday.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:12 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
Great! Thanks.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
I got an update from Mid City today;
they are ready, just waiting for the VCS module to arrive, and they will confirm price etc and looks like they will be able to start shipping them inside a week or so...

Hopefully for those interested, you have contacted them already;

I'm going ahead with it, and will post when completed - I dont expect a single issue as I have dealt with Mid city before and the kit they had was done very well; so I expect this to be a very smooth install...

tk
Old 01-16-2008, 07:53 PM

I got the same e mail from Midcity. BUT will this installation void the original warranty of the vechicle?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
Who knows...
I believe that if they can prove the cause of the fault was related to what ever you add they then can charge you for the repair... you can also remove the part before you go in for service if that matters; also; since these are all MB parts, a little hard for B to argue it in court if you know what I mean; Tons of people add the power chips etc, with no issues, not seeing how this is really different? The guys from Mid city can give you a better idea, they work very close with the dealer in there local and can likly get you a decently honest enough answer on this;

I'm not really worried about it, as the older a car gets, the less warranty covers anyway (even if its under warranty!) they tend to be come difficult anyway in order to sell you a new car it seems; I purchased the 7 year warranty on this also but I have no concerns; because its all MB parts, its likly they will not even know its been added afterwards.
tk
Old 01-17-2008, 03:28 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by NLRL
I got the same e mail from Midcity. BUT will this installation void the original warranty of the vechicle?
For the US we have the magnuson-moss act which basically states that the dealer cannot deny you warranty coverage unless they can prove legally that the aftermarket addition caused the problem. e.g. you add sat radio and your fuel injector goes out (i saw your post on the other forum tkskic ) obviously the one has nothing to do with the other so the dealer has to cover it. Plus if they are adding factory VCS module I dont think there is much the dealer can say.

Also I can tell you this: they do alot of work on cars for our sales and service dept and we have never had a problem with them taking care of warranty issues.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 AM

1972 280SE 4.5
This is great news! I e-mailed MidCity but have not heard back from them. Tkeskic, please heep us posted.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
Got an Update today from Mid City it reads as follows:
"We have received the voice control module we are now waiting for three parts to do the final modifications to the kit that will be in on Thursday.We see no problem with being able to ship this by next week."

Getting excited!
tk
Old 01-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
Mid City finished the kit and tested it last night
Calling now to get my hands on it!!!

tk
Old 01-31-2008, 07:24 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
Well, I spoke at length with the guys at Mid City today. They are REALLY NICE GUYS by the way...

The good news: The kit is indeed finished and ready for shipping.

The bad news: Cost is going to be around $1,500 to $1,700 and assumes you have the voice buttons on your steering wheel. If you don't, add $600 for new buttons. The kit will only control the phone, CD and radio. It will not control navigation, satellite, or iPod.

I can't justify spending $2,200 to voice-control the phone (I don't have the steering wheel buttons). I never use the radio or CD; I only listen to SAT and iPod.

These are the things that really make me question if getting these MB was a good idea. My base model X5 came with voice control (for the bluetooth phone) and that was three years ago! I'm so bummed out...

j.

Last edited by baxterdown; 01-31-2008 at 07:27 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Voice Control