M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Voice Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
In the past, post-factory installation of Voice Control has been combined in Star Bulletins with phone installation.

These bulletins are fairly easily accessed by purchasing a one-day subscription to WIS at http://www.startekinfo.com
Old 02-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320CDI 2007
Baxterdown
You should call Midcity back - they had an update today with the new VC module that was specific to the ML and it does the Navigation, and ipod etc; The kit they tested with (to build the interface) was a slightly different kit, and the ML specific one does those things you speak of; I was able to confirm that today with them;

Mine made it in the fedex bag today, and on Tuesday the installer is going to look at the kit etc and decided if they have time this Thursday to install for me; it appears to be a 15 min install from what I gather, but I will budget at least 1 hour;

I have the buttons and the all the other stuff so I didn't need the extra $600 expense.

I will post promptly after the install and let you know how it goes; in the mean time, reconnect with them, I think you may be surprised to learn what the ML module will do...

I'm sure glad they tested all that, and the honesty was welcome, and your right they are very nice guys, very helpful; - I already started a new project with them :-) Not sure I can share what it is yet, but its an exciting one! (I will post on that once a few more details are worked out, its a few months away from being ready right now)

take care
tk
Old 02-01-2008, 02:01 AM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by tkeskic
Baxterdown
You should call Midcity back - they had an update today with the new VC module that was specific to the ML and it does the Navigation, and ipod etc; The kit they tested with (to build the interface) was a slightly different kit, and the ML specific one does those things you speak of; I was able to confirm that today with them;

Mine made it in the fedex bag today, and on Tuesday the installer is going to look at the kit etc and decided if they have time this Thursday to install for me; it appears to be a 15 min install from what I gather, but I will budget at least 1 hour;

I have the buttons and the all the other stuff so I didn't need the extra $600 expense.

I will post promptly after the install and let you know how it goes; in the mean time, reconnect with them, I think you may be surprised to learn what the ML module will do...

I'm sure glad they tested all that, and the honesty was welcome, and your right they are very nice guys, very helpful; - I already started a new project with them :-) Not sure I can share what it is yet, but its an exciting one! (I will post on that once a few more details are worked out, its a few months away from being ready right now)

take care
tk
how come some of you guys have the vc button on the steering wheel when you guys don't have the vc option?

did mb run out of regular steering wheels? because i'm stuck with the regular one and woudn't have minded the vc version
Old 02-01-2008, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
Hey TK,

Thanks for that last post. I didn't speak with the engineer at Mid City, so it could have been that the guy I spoke with was confused. Again, he was really nice and answered all my questions.

Please do report once you have your kit installed and working. Of course, give us the list of things you are able to control once you test everything! :-)

Jose

P.S. Vinceching: It has been discussed the reason for buttons vs. no buttons. There is still no consensus. Obviously everyone with VCS has them. But, there are some people with no VCS that have them too. Most people (like us) don't.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
I dont have the ipod, so I cant test that...
I talk with the guy who builds these, so I'm confident my info is right... either way, its about a week away for me to do the final tests and report back; all but the ipod can checked;

I got my tracking number for the shipment yesterday also; so I'm almost there!
tk
Old 02-01-2008, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by vinceching
how come some of you guys have the vc button on the steering wheel when you guys don't have the vc option?

did mb run out of regular steering wheels? because i'm stuck with the regular one and woudn't have minded the vc version
You'll note in your owners manual that there is reference to "button without function" when voice control is not installed.

BTW, it appears to me looking at EPC that the part number for replacement steering wheels includes the switches.

HOWEVER, the switches can be purchased separately and I think there is otherwise no need to purchase an entire steering wheel. I have birdseye maple wood and Mercedes doesn't offer a wood/leather steering wheel in this wood so I bought an MP Designs (OE supplier) version from Performance Products. This came without switches, my switches mounted fine, and there were not catalog numbers for voice control/not voice control. That is, I'm relatively certain whole new steering wheel is not required.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by baxterdown
I can't justify spending $2,200 to voice-control the phone (I don't have the steering wheel buttons). I never use the radio or CD; I only listen to SAT and iPod.

These are the things that really make me question if getting these MB was a good idea. My base model X5 came with voice control (for the bluetooth phone) and that was three years ago! I'm so bummed out...
This is a lesson seemingly learned over and over on these forums.

(I've learned it, too.)

Voice control is a simple $510 option when factory installed, but like almost every other option it's REALLY expensive to try to add it after the factl

Trailer hitch is another good example: $510 factory installed, $2K dealer installed.

On our E-class, rollerblinds in rear doors: $300 factory installed, $2K dealer installed.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:13 PM

2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Off topic but... quick question for tkeskic

Originally Posted by tkeskic
If anyone has ideas on how to have this done, I would love to here them, my dealership forgot to order the option, or the factory forgot to install it; so I have been without;

I had a company add the factory Sat Radio to my 2007, and it works great, used all MB parts, and built the harness etc, I have them looking into adding VCS also; but if there some other ideas etc out there I would love to hear about them;
tk
I asked my dealer about adding the SAT radio and although he was not specific with price, he said it was very expensive.

Where did you get yours done? Was it costly? Thanx
Old 02-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
The Sat radio was purchased at Midcity (a number of referances we made to that effect) if you goto their website at www.midcityengineering.com you can contact them by email or phone, and let them you were looking at SAT radio; I think the kit cost me $1200, and $200 to install it at a local stereo shop
tk
Old 02-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
Voice Control showed up today, had a small delay in customs, but UPS forgot the package at the depot in Montreal before sending to me for a few days;

Install is planned for Thursday and I will report back afterwards on how it goes; The kit is very well put together; Professional boxes (MB Boxes BTW!) - directions are very easy to follow with pictures for each step; really nice caution notes for things that may not be obvious to the installer; I'm very impressed with the contents of the package!

I'm also looking forward to reporting back how the install goes; it make take a few days as I have a road trip planned on friday, but will post as soon as possible..
tk
Old 02-15-2008, 07:27 AM

1972 280SE 4.5
tkeskic,

Did you install the voice control?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:01 PM

2003 MERCEDES C230, 2008 ML 350
Hi,
Tkeskic,
What happened with the voice control?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
Hey Guys
I got the voice control installed, but had to be out of town for some time back and forth; and busy with work;

the voice command works, and does whats expected, but with my luck, I'm having some sort of microphone volume problem; so the guys from Midcity have been working on this to see if the microphone installed in the ML is defective or something else; Either way, they have been working really hard to understand the issue, and duplicate it so they can correct it with their test car.

I have no concerns that the mic issue will be resolved, and all will work fine; The system works for NAV, Radio, phone - but I have not done extensive tests as with the low mic volume it takes some effort!

All in all; looks like a minor issue and should be resolved shortly; i will update as soon as I get a chance to post something new
tk
Old 03-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI 2007
I managed to do a VC Module swap this weekend, and the VCS is working much better; all the commands work proper know; however I don't have the ML module so I dont get nav Control; Mid City believes the VCS I had was faulty or damaged in shipping/first connection; so they sent me a new harness and new VCS that they had in stock;

It works WAY better, and volume level is correct; I'm returning the ML VCS and they will be swapping it out with a new one, once thats done, I can report how that goes; I'm missing NAV support today with the VCS unit I have that was designed for S or C class; but does work flawless otherwise;

Once I get the defective unit repaired, I will report progress; Mid city has been very good to work with through this small issue; very open, and really wanting to solve my issue; even sent out advance parts to test with!

finger crossed, hoping to have final resolution on this in the next few weeks;
tk
Old 02-13-2009, 04:51 PM

2015 C300
Any update on this? I just got an email from MidCity and it is $1500, assuming you have the phone already installed.

My ML500 with the leather and wood steering wheel HAS the extra buttons...but no voice was installed...it did come with Teleaid...does it use the same microphone?

Nevermind...the update is on this other thread.

Last edited by youbecha; 02-13-2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: duh