M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Seats changed for 2008 model year?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008 | 03:50 PM

2008 ml 280 cdi
Question Seats changed for 2008 model year?

Hi

I have just got my 2008 ml 280 cdi. It has the interior sports package with alcantara sport seats. I am a tall guy and the generous tilt of the sport seats was one of the reasons i bought this car.

But now it seems that the seats in my car are different from the 2007-model I tested at my dealer before i signed the contract. The seats in my car does not tilt as much and the headrests are different.

Does anyone know if my observations are correct? Are the seats changed on the 2008's? Can anything be done to make the seats tilt further (adjust stoppers, switches or something like that...?)

PS: I have memory seats. My dealer's car does not. Does the memory package affect the travel of the tilt? I saw a thread where someone said that the memory seats did not travel as far back as the seats without memory....

Last edited by kobnageln; 01-06-2008 at 02:57 AM. Reason: added questionmark
Old 01-06-2008 | 10:02 AM

2010 E550 / 2012 ML 550
Actually the seats are the same. However, the software programming which allows the angle of tilt and the distance of rearward travel of the seat is different between the seats with memory, and those without.
This is to prevent the headrest on the rear seats being crushed if the rear seatback is flat and you push the memory button on the front seat.
With the manual front seats you have to hold the seat adjustment button for the seat to slide backward, and you can let it go when you feel your front seat hitting the rear headrest. With the memory seats, the front seat will go all the way back before it stops, and will crush the rear headrest (if the rear seat is folded flat), so MB, using software programming, will not allow memory seats to go as far back as non memory seats.
I understand however, that your MB dealer has a waiver form which you can sign, which permits them to alter the software to allow your memory seats to go further back. The form absolves them from any liability or warranty claim if you crush your rear seat headrest after they do the software modification.
You should always remember to use your manual seat adjustment button and not the memory button to adjust your front seat when your rear seat is folded flat.
Old 01-06-2008 | 04:21 PM

2008 ml 280 cdi
Thanks! I will check with my dealer tomorrow. I really hope they can install the software for me.