M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Airbag bad or normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
Airbag bad or normal?

I'm getting warning lights in the multifunction display.

If someone gets on the front-passenger seat while the car is running (let say I stop somewhere to pick-up a friend): "Passenger airbag enabled. See Operator's Manual"

If the front-passenger gets out of the car while the engine is running (lets say I drop off the frien): "Passenger airbag disabled. See Operator's Manual"

The manual is confusing as to what is going on(the information is on page 438). So I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago. They said it was a bad sensor and replaced it. The problem returned so I took it back yesterday. They are now telling me that the warning is normal.

The dealer kept the truck overnight. SA said they were calling MB to get more info... I can't imagine a "See Operator's manual" warning that constantly comes on being normal. Have you guys noticed this at all?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' ML350
its abnormal.......

the only indicator should only be the airbag idiot light alongside the hazard button switch, not on the cluster.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Have them recallibrate the seat sensor and that may very well solve your problem. I never had this on my ML but did on my E Class and it was cured with what I previously said. The interesting thing is that all functions will continue to work correctly even with the warning but you are correct that this is not normal.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:17 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by baxterdown
I'm getting warning lights in the multifunction display.

If someone gets on the front-passenger seat while the car is running (let say I stop somewhere to pick-up a friend): "Passenger airbag enabled. See Operator's Manual"

If the front-passenger gets out of the car while the engine is running (lets say I drop off the frien): "Passenger airbag disabled. See Operator's Manual"

The manual is confusing as to what is going on(the information is on page 438). So I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago. They said it was a bad sensor and replaced it. The problem returned so I took it back yesterday. They are now telling me that the warning is normal.

The dealer kept the truck overnight. SA said they were calling MB to get more info... I can't imagine a "See Operator's manual" warning that constantly comes on being normal. Have you guys noticed this at all?

Normal. I get the "Pax Airbag Disabled/enabled" message when I drop-off/pick-up a passenger.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by speed8
Normal. I get the "Pax Airbag Disabled/enabled" message when I drop-off/pick-up a passenger.
No, its not normal no matter what you have been told or what you believe. You have the same minor issue as the guy who started this thread. Mine does not do it but my 05 E Class did and it was corrected.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

THE VEREDICT.... (drumroll please ) NOT NORMAL! sosh is correct. The seat needed calibration. They calibrated the seat. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Case closed
Old 10-06-2009, 09:02 PM

I know this is an old thread but it is about the only one I could find on the net describing the situation. This problem began about 1 month ago on my 06 350, it has 38k so far and the messages were driving me nuts because they cannot be cleared until the next startup, and they are not retained at all once cleared.

Took it to the dealer today and they insisted it is NORMAL, and that they had already wasted a lot of time to fix something they could not find fault, even after I presented them with pictures of both warnings. They closed the ticket & told me to pickup the truck, I asked if this is something I simply have to live with, and the answer was yes.

I called it bull & called up MBZ, meanwhile I found this thread and sent it over the the advisor. They ended up recalibrating the seat/sensor so we shall see. You are absolutely correct that the manual is confusing, in fact, I scan through the entire PDF and it does not contain the phrase shown in the messages, furthermore, the manual offers zero resolution....
Old 12-26-2010, 06:49 AM

2001 Mercedes CLK230
Ill tell you the truth, this is my second Mercedes and I will never buy one again, All the stupid errors that the dealer should correct for free even if the car has 100k miles on it. "Its not under warranty because nothing is being fixed?" Well then it should be free because all they are doing is hooking it up to a computer to reset a sensor.

I have to drive all the way out to Charlotte even if i want to get a hook up with service otherwise everything is a hundred or more dollars. They fix one thing and break another. $250 dollar service just to check my wiper blades and rotate my tires. Garbage.

I never had this issue with any of my BMWs... $60k car and in 4 years im getting stupid errors..Passenger Airbag Enabled.. For Real.. Then Mercedes says its normal? WTF..

Great car but im sick of it. If anyone wants to buy it, its for sale... Im done with it. 2007 Mercedes e350 "Key to the Cure" 26k shipped to the lower 48.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...STRK:MESELX:IT