M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Need advice soon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550, ML63 AMG
Need advice soon

I have an 09 ML550 on order, fully loaded, but then the dealer called, no lighting package until october builds, november delivery. The car right now is coming first week of august. The dealer is willing to install bixenons gratis. He said the only thing I will be missing is corner illuminating fog lamps. Is this true? Are there any other drawbacks to going with aftermarket vs factory? All help/advice is appreciated.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Is the dealer positive about that? I have heard that LED taillights have delayed availability, but I would think lighting should still be available for earlier builds.

I would not take the car. You will miss out on the curve illuminating feature too.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:22 AM

2008 ML550; 2005 SLK55
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I got bi-xenons on my '08 and the cornering fog lights. It's part of the P2 package. I don't see how that would be something new or cause delays on the '09. When you say "fully loaded" what do you mean exactly? PIII package, all options, etc?

If what the dealer says is true and you can wait the extra couple months, do it. If it were me, I wouldn't want a brand new car that is "*******ized" by the dealer.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:04 AM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by aparikh1207
I have an 09 ML550 on order, fully loaded, but then the dealer called, no lighting package until october builds, november delivery. The car right now is coming first week of august. The dealer is willing to install bixenons gratis. He said the only thing I will be missing is corner illuminating fog lamps. Is this true? Are there any other drawbacks to going with aftermarket vs factory? All help/advice is appreciated.
wait for the car you want. if you install it after, you won't have self leveling xenons. not really worth it, so wait for your car to come with factory xenons.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
Corner illuminating fog lights are great. They really provide that added extra burst of light, especially on dark roads.

Besides, if you don't get them you'll miss on all those people constantly telling you "I think one of your fog lights is not working"

j.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:06 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Brian_74
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I got bi-xenons on my '08 and the cornering fog lights. It's part of the P2 package. I don't see how that would be something new or cause delays on the '09. When you say "fully loaded" what do you mean exactly? PIII package, all options, etc?

If what the dealer says is true and you can wait the extra couple months, do it. If it were me, I wouldn't want a brand new car that is "*******ized" by the dealer.
The headlights are a new design, for the facelift, so 06-08 headlights will not fit.
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2008, 07:53 PM

S550, ML63 AMG
hmm...well I talked to my salesman and he said that he will 100% have the self leveling feature, even thought it is aftermarket. So I would be losing the fog lamps and swiveling lights. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing yet, he showed me an aftermarket vs. factory on another merc and it looked identical. Thanks for your quick replies, I am leaning toward just taking delivery of the car minus the lighting package. Also Brian, the packages changes for 09. The biggest package is P2 which now includes keyless go, ipod adapter, parktronic and a couple other things. Adaptive Damping and Air Suspension is now a separate option, as well as Bi-Xenon's a separate option. The lighting package, to my knowledge, now includes Bi-Xenons, fog lamps, head light washers, and maybe LED tail lights. Does anyone know if there is a big difference between LED tails and regular ones, any pics that you could enlighten me with. Are they replaceable aftermarket? Again, thanks. Can't wait to drive it ML550 is very fast for an suv.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:57 PM

2008 ML550; 2005 SLK55
Sorry for my ignorance in the earlier posts guys. I didn't realize so much was changing for the '09. Thanks for the info! Again, I can only speak for the '08, but you can get aftermarket LED tail lamps. With design changes, they might not be immediately available for the '09 but I have to think they would be soon to follow in the aftermarket world.
http://www.formymercedes.com/morepic...taillights.jpg
I like the look and maybe they're a tad brighter than bulbs. Otherwise it's mainly aesthetics.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Don't buy a brand new $60K car with aftermarket parts. A brand new Mercedes must have brand new Mercedes parts.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
That's why I think the dealer is confused about the Lighting Package. The LED taillights have a delayed availability, but the full Lighting Package should be available.

I'd wait for a later slot unless you need the car earlier. I would not go aftermarket on the headlights.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:15 PM

2007 ML 500
hmm...well I talked to my salesman and he said that he will 100% have the self leveling feature, even thought it is aftermarket. So I would be losing the fog lamps and swiveling lights. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing yet, he showed me an aftermarket vs. factory on another merc and it looked identical. Thanks for your quick replies, I am leaning toward just taking delivery of the car minus the lighting package. Also Brian, the packages changes for 09. The biggest package is P2 which now includes keyless go, ipod adapter, parktronic and a couple other things. Adaptive Damping and Air Suspension is now a separate option, as well as Bi-Xenon's a separate option. The lighting package, to my knowledge, now includes Bi-Xenons, fog lamps, head light washers, and maybe LED tail lights. Does anyone know if there is a big difference between LED tails and regular ones, any pics that you could enlighten me with. Are they replaceable aftermarket? Again, thanks. Can't wait to drive it ML550 is very fast for an suv.
your salesperson is an idiot and you are too if you are going to trust him that much.

there are leveling sensors that are put on the rear suspension along with all the wiring attached to that.

i doubt they will do the factory wiring for you as it is labor intenstive and makes no economic sense to do it.

do yourself a favor and just wait for what you wanted originally.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:35 PM
rdk

2006 ML 500
I also have an 09 ML 550 on order that was scheduled for a July 22nd delivery. I called dealer and he checked my order and the vehicle was produced without the lighting package. Dealer is upset that Mercedes never notified him and simply removed the option from my order. He has moved my build to Sept. 1st when he shows the package will be available. He will now be stuck with a fully loaded ML 550 with no xenons. He will take a huge financial hit trying to unload the vehicle.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:56 AM

S550, ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by rdk
I also have an 09 ML 550 on order that was scheduled for a July 22nd delivery. I called dealer and he checked my order and the vehicle was produced without the lighting package. Dealer is upset that Mercedes never notified him and simply removed the option from my order. He has moved my build to Sept. 1st when he shows the package will be available. He will now be stuck with a fully loaded ML 550 with no xenons. He will take a huge financial hit trying to unload the vehicle.

Yea, my salesman was notified. MBUSA is not very consistent. My salesman talked to MBUSA for a week and went back and forth and finally he told me that the lighting package will not be available until sometime in october. I think I'll give him a call tomorrow to see if it is either september/october. Hopefully not the latter.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:08 PM

2006 ML350
If it helps, I bought an 06ML350 when the Lighting Package was hard to come by as well. I modded the xenon headlamps myself. It is true, you will not have the auto-leveling feature (but I don't really think it's that important) or the corner-illuminating foglamps (one lamp turns on when you hit your turn signal so you can see more; I also don't find this feature to be that useful and it just makes the car cooler). I hope that helps. Also, I purchased my xenon bulbs from Apexcone. You will require a visit to the dealer to have them change the system to recognize that it has xenon headlamps but this only takes about 30min. It took me about 2 hours to put the bulbs in (removing the grill and figuring everything out takes some time).