M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

LED conversion - Pics inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML
I have bought probably every 194 led you can get to find one that fits in the dome lights haha. The only ones the fit are T Type styles.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:58 AM

2008 Ml 350, 2000 Ml 430
Originally Posted by UR2SLO
I have bought probably every 194 led you can get to find one that fits in the dome lights haha. The only ones the fit are T Type styles.

what are the T type lol can you provide a link please. and does your back right door panel light stay on after the car is off?? mine stayed on all the time so i replaced it with the originals tube lights

Last edited by MMundrean; 06-17-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:44 AM

2008 ML 350
Originally Posted by MMundrean
hey have you figured out the size of the bulbs for the overhead consoles i have bought 3 different kinds and still cannot find the correct size.i officialy have given up on the full led conversion and now half the car is LED half is regular looks funny but got used to it.
I have an 2008 ML 350 and I put LED in ALL interior lights. You only need 2 types of bulbs.

194 for MAP LIGHTS, UNDER REAR VIEW MIRROR, REAR SEAT ABOVE NEXT TO HANDLES and TRUNK DOME.

FESTOONS 36mm for FRONT UNDER YOUR FEET, TOP VANITY MIRRORS, BOTTON OF EACH DOORS AND LICENSE PLATE.

Let me tell you with the festoons bulbs I ordered the 39mm and it didn't fit TOO BIG. I was lucky to be able to returned and reorder the right ones 36MM

Hope this info will help.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 AM

2008 ML 350
how many of each type of LED

Hi expressjoel, I also have an 08 ML350 and would like to do this LED conversion.

Could you tell me how many of each type of bulbs you used? I'm guessing the following from earlier posts but would like to know definitively.

194 type
map (2)
under rear view mirror (2)
rear seat (2)
cargo area dome (1)

36mm type
foot wells (4)
vanity/visor (2)
lower door (4)
license plate (2)

Is this correct?

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 AM

2008 ML 350
Originally Posted by edpena111
Hi expressjoel, I also have an 08 ML350 and would like to do this LED conversion.

Could you tell me how many of each type of bulbs you used? I'm guessing the following from earlier posts but would like to know definitively.

194 type
map (2)
rear seat (2)
cargo area dome (1)

36mm type
foot wells (4)
vanity/visor (2)
lower door (4)
license plate (2)

Is this correct?

Thanks!
Foot wells are only 2 (front). The rest are right.
Also if you want to change the front parking lights they are 194s.

Glad to help.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (sold); 2007 R320 CDI (sold); 2008 ML320 CDI; 2014 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by expressjoel
I have an 2008 ML 350 and I put LED in ALL interior lights. You only need 2 types of bulbs.

194 for MAP LIGHTS, UNDER REAR VIEW MIRROR, REAR SEAT ABOVE NEXT TO HANDLES and TRUNK DOME.

FESTOONS 36mm for FRONT UNDER YOUR FEET, TOP VANITY MIRRORS, BOTTON OF EACH DOORS AND LICENSE PLATE.

Let me tell you with the festoons bulbs I ordered the 39mm and it didn't fit TOO BIG. I was lucky to be able to returned and reorder the right ones 36MM

Hope this info will help.
Could you please provide some link where you bought bulbs ?

After you put all bulbs, did you get any light on wrong place (read: dasbhoard )

I see another question related to quantity and I don't want repeat it
Old 06-23-2011, 10:37 AM

2008 ML 350
Originally Posted by zemun1234
Could you please provide some link where you bought bulbs ?

After you put all bulbs, did you get any light on wrong place (read: dasbhoard )

I see another question related to quantity and I don't want repeat it
I bought them from www.aznoptics.com
He is an sponsor from this forum you can PM him.

You will never get any light or warning from any cabin lights even if they burn out.
The tricks ones are outside bulbs, like license plates and parking lights.

Here is the rundown

_194 type_
map (2)
rear seat (2)
cargo area dome (1)
parking lights (front) (2)

_36mm type_
foot wells (2)
vanity/visor (2)
lower door (4)
license plate (2)

Hope that answer all your questions.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:39 PM

2008 ML 350
Thanks for the reply expressjoel. This mod is next on my list after bull bars and rear bar are installed.

I'm going to try and source these locally so I can get this done this weekend.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 PM

2008 ML 350
LED conversion complete

OK, so I've completed the LED conversion on my 2008 ML350 and have a few things to share.

The following lights are needed for a full conversion:

194 type -- [11]
(http://aznoptics.com/index.php?main_...&products_id=9)
map/front upper console (2)
rear seat/grab handles (2)
cargo area dome (1)
front parking lights (2)*
puddle lights under side view mirrors (2)*

36mm festoon type -- [11]
http://aznoptics.com/index.php?main_...products_id=16
foot wells (2)
vanity/visor (2)
door puddle lights/lower door (4)
license plate (2)*
glove box (1)

*these LED's need to have built in resistors or you will get errors on the dash. The provided links will work for these and not show errors. All interior LED's can be whichever 194/36mm you like.

I'll include my notes for each LED install:

map/front upper console- these were the most difficult for me. To get to these lights I had to drop the entire upper console. To do this, I had to remove the 2 plastic trim pieces above the rear view mirror. The first piece slides away from the center piece and the 2nd piece slides away from the console (with considerable effort). You can now pull the console down from the front. Again, there might be an easier way to do this but this is what I did. Now that you have the console loose, you can easily access the bulbs. The bulbs I linked to should have no issues going in. If you purchased the type with the housing, you may have to widen the hole slightly since it didn't fit the ones I bought. The attached pics will make this clear.

under rear view mirror- the lens is easy to remove, just use a mini flathead or your fingernail to pull the tiny tab in, then pull the lens down. I had to use needle nose pliers to pull the bulbs out. Remember, these are LEDs so they are polarized. Before you push the led's in all the way, make sure you have them installed correctly. The multi-LED housing bulbs will break easily trying to pull them out from a tight housing like this one.

rear seat/grab handles- as someone already noted, make sure you pull the lens from the button side of the lens. Everything else is straightforward.

cargo area dome- this is another case of having to pull the whole console down. This isn't very difficult, just make sure you pull it down carefully so as not to damage any clips.

front parking lights- apparently these are a pain in the a$$ to swap, so I'm having the same guys installing my HID's do these. If you want to do these on your own, some else posted the steps/tools to do this.

puddle lights under side view mirrors- the lens does not come off on these, you have to remove the mirror to get to these. The easiest way to do this is with a small pick tool (like a dental tool with a hook on the end). You have to angle the mirror all the way down and pull the small metal tab up, then pull the mirror away from the top. To re-install, pull the tab up again, then place the mirror and slide the tab down again. Not the easiest thing to do but its the only way I know to get to these lights.

36mm
The only 36mm LED of note is the license plate. These have to be the type with built in resistors or you will get an error on the console. The ones provided in the link should work.

The glove box isn't very difficult to replace, but you have to take care not to crack the lens as this one seems more fragile than the others and prone to cracking. This might be easier if you push in the lever that turns the light off.

Again, as with all these LED's, make sure you have the polarity correct before you cover the particular light you're working on. Also, the 36mm festoon LED's that have the larger LED's facing in one direction (see link above) seem to be brighter than the 36mm type with a lot of smaller LED's or LED's all around the housing. The directional type seem to make more sense too since all the 36mm LED's are installed in places were its better that they are directional.

This is everything I think you need to know before doing this on your ML. I will post a full set of pics when I remember to bring my camera with me. HID's in the low and fog lights have been installed and I also just installed a set of running boards which will soon have LED's running under them. These will be wired to the puddle lights so they will only go on when the doors are opened, not like ground effects which is not the look I'm going for.

Hope this helps!
E
Attached Thumbnails LED conversion - Pics inside-non-resistor-led-upper-console.jpg   LED conversion - Pics inside-upper-console-mod.jpg   LED conversion - Pics inside-upper-console-removal.jpg   LED conversion - Pics inside-upper-console-trim.jpg  
Old 07-13-2011, 12:02 AM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
Has anyone figured out a solution for the rear door flickering, or them staying on, and or the other door not turning off either.....

I just replaced all interior lights with leds, and this is my only fault

Last edited by GateKeeper; 07-13-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:57 AM

2008 ML 350
I know this sounds stupid, but since the rears are button and door activated make sure the lens button isn't in the ON/OFF position. If LEDs still don't turn on then its usually a polarity issue. I'm sure you've run into this before while swapping bulbs, but try switching polarity or trying the LEDs in another location that you know works.

If the lights are flickering, then there might be an issue with the contacts on the LED. I've seen some festoon type LED contacts which are either slightly smaller or larger that the contacts on the original bulbs. If the contacts on the LEDs are even slightly smaller than the holder will support they will flicker or turn off with the slightest rattle. A penny solution if wrapping the contacts with aluminum foil to make sure they seat properly. This isn't something I would do on an MB just on principle, so I suggest getting different LEDs or trying them in a different location and see if you get the same result.

Hope this helps.

-E-
Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 AM

GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by edpena111
I know this sounds stupid, but since the rears are button and door activated make sure the lens button isn't in the ON/OFF position. If LEDs still don't turn on then its usually a polarity issue. I'm sure you've run into this before while swapping bulbs, but try switching polarity or trying the LEDs in another location that you know works.

If the lights are flickering, then there might be an issue with the contacts on the LED. I've seen some festoon type LED contacts which are either slightly smaller or larger that the contacts on the original bulbs. If the contacts on the LEDs are even slightly smaller than the holder will support they will flicker or turn off with the slightest rattle. A penny solution if wrapping the contacts with aluminum foil to make sure they seat properly. This isn't something I would do on an MB just on principle, so I suggest getting different LEDs or trying them in a different location and see if you get the same result.

Hope this helps.

-E-
Button is in the correct position...really made sure of that...lol

If I take out the rear door led lights and have no bulbs in there, then no issues, all the rest of the lights work as per normal. It's only when led lights are put into the rear door that I get the flicker on the rear passenger, and it don't go out, and the rear drivers door stays dimly lit.

All contacts are good and solid, this I made sure of, each one was pressed in or popped in and is seated in a solid position in the holder.

I really like to look of the rear dome, grab handles, and front dome now with the led lights, I have also put led lights for the rear license plate.

In total I swapped out 19 lights, 17 interior and the 2 outside lights for the license plate to led.

On a side note, to be honest I am not happy the way the lighting system works with the led bulbs, first off no dimming effect (this I expected) just the nature of the led bulb, but I am noticing no ambient lighting now in the front foot wells or in the rear as in under the front seats (it used to be dimly lit before with the old type of bulbs), today I noticed that the foot well lights did not come on, until I turned off the car, closed all the doors, and then opened up the passenger front door, at this time all the lights came on, as they should have, when I first go into the car on the drive to work.

for now I have no lights in the rear doors, at least I won't drain the battery

I think we are trying to do something that the vehicles were not designed to do or have, and it's just confusing the crap out of the computer system, hence some of the issues we are all (well most) coming across.

If this is not resolved, I think I will go back to the stock bulbs, and not worry about this led lighting......anyone want to buy 19 led lights......

Anyone have other suggestions, by all means I am willing to listen, other than using a halogen bulb for the rear doors, this I hear will make the issue go away, but then they are not led, and the look will be off, and I might as well have put in all of the bulbs as halogen and not worried about doing the led......
Old 07-13-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by GateKeeper
Button is in the correct position...really made sure of that...lol

If I take out the rear door led lights and have no bulbs in there, then no issues, all the rest of the lights work as per normal. It's only when led lights are put into the rear door that I get the flicker on the rear passenger, and it don't go out, and the rear drivers door stays dimly lit.
Hmm....I think you can purchase different bulbs ..Your source for bulbs tried to install them and he got similar result (base on post to another forum, you are facing same result what he got).

Secondly, I think the final result depends on type of bulb. If one owner used one type of bulbs and no problems and other owner used different bulbs on SAME type of car, I think it is very easy to make conclusion where is a problem.

I am not sure if you update software on car, it could make any difference but I'd suggest to try with different bulbs (maybe from AZN Optics).

As for blinking problem, I'd try one bulb with resistor and see if any difference ... (check postg # 32 above) - door bulb is 36 mm with resistor

Let us know about findings ...

Last edited by zemun1234; 07-13-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:22 PM

GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
See replies below....

Hmm....I think you can purchase different bulbs ..Your source for bulbs tried to install them and he got similar result (base on post to another forum, you are facing same result what he got).

Yes you are correct in this, I did not see this until well after the purchase was made, now I have to wonder, if purchase was made in haste, and I should not have done it, I can always return everything, and get money back....

Secondly, I think the final result depends on type of bulb. If one owner used one type of bulbs and no problems and other owner used different bulbs on SAME type of car, I think it is very easy to make conclusion where is a problem.

Could very well be true, I would need a set of the other bulbs to prove this though....

I am not sure if you update software on car, it could make any difference but I'd suggest to try with different bulbs (maybe from AZN Optics).

Car software if up to date, had this done when I purchased the car....

As for blinking problem, I'd try one bulb with resistor and see if any difference ... (check postg # 32 above) - door bulb is 36 mm with resistor

I tried with resistor, actually bulbs from AZN Optics, made no differance

Let us know about findings ...

I will keep working on this for a bit, but if no go, well it will be a return of all lights, and hopefully a refund issued by seller....
Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron Smith
No, I haven't found the correct bulb for the front dome lights. All of my interior lights are LED now along with the license plate lights and puddle lamps. I'm hoping to have some free time soon to do more research on finding the correct bulb. Please let me know if you do so.
I have installed LED bulbs what I bought from AZN Optics. First of all, everything is working without any problem - I have to say the bulbs are very good quality and I'd recommend ordering from him. When I ordered, I just read previous experience and choose him as supplier

I have ordered 10 '36mm' (it is right size for 2008 ML model) + 10 '194'.

After installation, I was short 1 '194' but I got 4 extra '36 mm' - please notice that 2008 ML doesn't have light below passenger and driver seat (2007 ML has it !!!) and I didn't install 2 bulbs on front (is it parking light ?). In other words, the winning combination is

11 '194' + 10 (or 8 - in case you don't have light bellow seat) '36mm'

So far, the bulbs are perfect and no warning light.

Also, I'd thank you 'gatekeeper' for sharing experience and helping me in installation bulbs.

I think we found solution for 2007/2008 ML
Old 07-29-2011, 09:11 AM

GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
I have installed LED bulbs what I bought from AZN Optics. First of all, everything is working without any problem - I have to say the bulbs are very good quality and I'd recommend ordering from him. When I ordered, I just read previous experience and choose him as supplier

I have ordered 10 '36mm' (it is right size for 2008 ML model) + 10 '194'.

After installation, I was short 1 '194' but I got 4 extra '36 mm' - please notice that 2008 ML doesn't have light below passenger and driver seat (2007 ML has it !!!) and I didn't install 2 bulbs on front (is it parking light ?). In other words, the winning combination is

11 '194' + 10 (or 8 - in case you don't have light bellow seat) '36mm'

So far, the bulbs are perfect and no warning light.

Also, I'd thank you 'gatekeeper' for sharing experience and helping me in installation bulbs.

I think we found solution for 2007/2008 ML
Glad I could have helped you out, and even happier that there are no issues with the led setup....

Good choice in going with AZN Optics for the bulbs.....

The spare "194's" you so kindly gave me, well I don't have them anymore, my brother came by the shop, and saw the extra one bulb, and we tried it in his Land Rover license plate, it worked, so I pulled the one out of the tail gate and put that one in for him as well.......I think I got him hooked, he will need to order more now, to complete the inside of his LR3, and get in on the led bandwagon.......

And the 08 ML did not have a light in the tailgate either so 2 festoons (1 under each front seat) and 1 "194" bulb for the tailgate

so just to recap on a 2007ML you will need

Front Dome - 194's X 2
Rear Dome - 194's - X1
Rear Grab Handles - 194's - X2

Optional - Front Parking Lamps - 194's - X2

Doors - 36mm - X4
Front Footwell's - 36mm - X2
Passenger/Driver under front seat
(lights are in the back/bottom of the seat) - 36mm - X2
Glove Box - 36mm - X1
Front Vanity Mirrors - 36mm - X2
License Plate - 36mm - X2

5 of the 194's and 15 of the 36mm festoons, this will give you a complete led package for the 2007 ML350, order 2 less if you don't do the Parking Lights

the 2008 ML320cdi takes 2 less of the 36mm festoons and 1 less of the 194's no tailgate and no under seat lights
Old 07-29-2011, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
5 of the 194's and 15 of the 36mm festoons, this will give you a complete led package for the 2007 ML350, order 2 less if you don't do the Parking Lights

the 2008 ML320cdi takes 2 less of the 36mm festoons and 1 less of the 194's no tailgate and no under seat lights
I don't believe the engine dictates the number of bulbs, but rather it is based on whether or not the car has genuine leather, which includes additional lighting (interior lighting package, code 876).
Old 07-29-2011, 11:05 AM

GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
Could be, I don't know

my ml350 has genuine leather, and I will say so did the ml320, zemun1234 can confirm...

what I think it is, is if you have the lighting package ? not sure of what code that would be

either way, you will need as many as I did, or you will need as many as zemun1234 required, I don't think there will be a greater variation than these two....

But I have been known to be wrong....LOL
Old 07-29-2011, 12:51 PM

so just to recap on a 2007ML you will need

Front Dome - 194's X 2
Rear Dome - 194's - X1
Rear Grab Handles - 194's - X2

Optional - Front Parking Lamps - 194's - X2

Doors - 36mm - X4
Front Footwell's - 36mm - X2
Passenger/Driver under front seat
(lights are in the back/bottom of the seat) - 36mm - X2
Glove Box - 36mm - X1
Front Vanity Mirrors - 36mm - X2
License Plate - 36mm - X2

I think we have to add 2 more '194' for below 'rear-view-mirror'
Old 07-29-2011, 01:09 PM

GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
not sure where you mean, take picture and post if you can

my mirror already has stock 2 leds in it, map lights as some call them

so I don't know where else there are lights that could be changed

I will take a pic of mine and post, latter today...

is this what your talking about

LED conversion - Pics inside-img-20110729-00089.jpg

LED conversion - Pics inside-img-20110729-00088.jpg

Last edited by GateKeeper; 07-29-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:14 PM

not sure where you mean, take picture and post if you can

my mirror already has stock 2 leds in it, map lights as some call them

so I don't know where else there are lights that could be changed

I will take a pic of mine and post, latter today...

is this what your talking about
Yes ...

I see on previous post that somebody mentioned (post #34) about replacing those bulbs and not sure if those bulbs are LED or not ..

I order my bulbs base on some posts here and I explained how I ended with 4 extra bulbs ...

As for LED bulbs, so far everything is perfect ...
Old 07-31-2011, 01:40 AM

GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
Yes ...

I see on previous post that somebody mentioned (post #34) about replacing those bulbs and not sure if those bulbs are LED or not ..

I order my bulbs base on some posts here and I explained how I ended with 4 extra bulbs ...

As for LED bulbs, so far everything is perfect ...
I see what you mean.....

I did not think about doing those, only because when I turn them on, they produce a white light, not the typical yellowish glow that the other bulbs do..

If I get a chance I will pull this apart as well and see, but honestly since the light is white it might be redundant, at least for me.....
Old 03-26-2012, 07:52 PM

07 ml350
Smile how to remove the map light cover

MK330CI
I finally replaced all interior bulbs with LED today. I used the Xenon Super White Bulbs with the license plate lights to avoid the warning on dashboard. It looks amazing compared to the amber lights. I didn't realize how many lights there were until I started replacing them. The nice thing about it was that there are only 2 types of LEDs you need.

i try to change my light bulb too,i know how to remove all the light covers except map light cover, I have big trouble to remove my map light cover. can you teach me how to remove it, as much detail as possible please!!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 AM

GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
see post # 34

map/front upper console- these were the most difficult for me. To get to these lights I had to drop the entire upper console. To do this, I had to remove the 2 plastic trim pieces above the rear view mirror. The first piece slides away from the center piece and the 2nd piece slides away from the console (with considerable effort). You can now pull the console down from the front. Again, there might be an easier way to do this but this is what I did. Now that you have the console loose, you can easily access the bulbs. The bulbs I linked to should have no issues going in. If you purchased the type with the housing, you may have to widen the hole slightly since it didn't fit the ones I bought. The attached pics will make this clear.

under rear view mirror- the lens is easy to remove, just use a mini flathead or your fingernail to pull the tiny tab in, then pull the lens down. I had to use needle nose pliers to pull the bulbs out. Remember, these are LEDs so they are polarized. Before you push the led's in all the way, make sure you have them installed correctly. The multi-LED housing bulbs will break easily trying to pull them out from a tight housing like this one.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML320 CDI
I wish I had read this post before changing the bulbs for the license with LED. I keep getting warnings that the bulbs are out

I will know better next time!!!