M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Steering/engine vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C250 sport
Steering/engine vibration

I mainly notice the steering issue when I'm turning the steering wheel while just "idly" moving, ie backing out of a parking spot. There is a noticeable vibration through the steering wheel and the car(mainly front seats) as the wheel is turned. Has anyone else noticed this, or is there a problem?

Also, while idling, the engine will start to vibrate noticeably as well. Especially when the air conditioning is on a higher setting.

The third thing also has to do with the steering. When I have the wheels at full lock, as I'm turning it back theres a "dry" crunching sound coming from the front end. It also will do it with the wheels turned and going over a speed bump(or bumps like them, driveways, etc).

Any help or information is appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
uhmmm you should never be at full lock and turn, that applies too much pressure and speedy wear on your tie rods
Old 09-23-2008, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
Originally Posted by Eurosport
uhmmm you should never be at full lock and turn, that applies too much pressure and speedy wear on your tie rods
Okay, scratch that, close to full lock. I actually rarely ever do full lock.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
engine vibration is usually motor mounts but your car is too new to have that problem. since you said it's doing it while turning, maybe something with the power steering rack, check your power steering fluid level first step for sure.

going over bumps noises could be from lower control arms bushings, tie rods, front suspsension components or sway bar links. again your car is too new for that stuff unless you've been hitting some major pot holes or offroading imho.

i'd start with the power steering fluid to make sure you're not running it close to dry in there, not much else that i can think of without and actual visual inspection of the underneath suspension.
you still have warranty no?