M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Diesel ECU tuning?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2008 | 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Diesel ECU tuning?

Guys what do you think about tuning the engine for additional power? i mean 210 hp and 400 ft is not bad but i heard people are getting 60hp and 100 ft of trq more with just ecu update, im getting my ML320 bluetec next week and im definitely thinking about ecu upgrade to make it just lil bit more alive.

share your thoughts?
Old 11-20-2008 | 02:08 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320CDI
Go on with something like Brabus or Carlsson, in europe Mercedes accepts Brabus and keeps garanties. I have Brabus and itīs just great, itīs another car.
Old 11-20-2008 | 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Philport
Go on with something like Brabus or Carlsson, in europe Mercedes accepts Brabus and keeps garanties. I have Brabus and itīs just great, itīs another car.
How much power did brabus ECU gives you? Same fuel consumption? Give us lil bit more info please !
Old 11-20-2008 | 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
yea seems like Brabus has the most gain!

http://www.brabus.com/en/deliver.php...III_ECO-EN.pdf
Old 11-20-2008 | 03:50 PM

'09 ML550
Chipping diesel engines is common practice and relatively low risk. But remember that there ain't no free lunch. When you pump out more power -- which is done by increasing the turbo boost -- you have an impact on engine life. Most important, though, is that many manufacturers won't honour power train warranties if their engines have been chipped. I don't know about Mercedes, but BMW can now tell if you have had one of the devices installed even if you remove it before going to the dealer. The problem is not whether the unit itself damages your engine, but more that if the engine or transmission fail for any reason not related to the chipper, you may find yourself having to sue in order to get the warranty honoured.

If Mercedes honours warranties when there is a Brabus unit installed, that begs the question: Why don't Mercedes just bump the power themselves?