M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Help Needed: Comand replacement (Upgrade)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 4matic
Help Needed: Comand replacement (Upgrade)

I'm in the process of replace the comand unit (US version (MSCII) with the Comand APS (NTG2.5) as I can not use middle east navi DVD in the US version.

I own ML350 4matic 2008 US model.

I have read somewhere that it's just a simple task, just take out the US version and put the APS one

in another forum I have read that I will be losing something related to audio since the US version is Harman Kardon and the other one is Harman Becker.

the current one that I have (US MSCII) has bluetooth, SAT, IPOD integration, AUX, CD Player (MP3) , navigation and 7.1 sound system with a subwoofer installed in the back trunk, (I have attached some screenshots of the test mode menu)

Can I just replace the units without losing any functionality and without any re-wiring? If I change it do I have to contact the local dealer to for CODE to be able to use it?

I’m planning to do all this myself as the local dealer asked me for $12,000 to replace the US version of the HU with the Middle East version. And surely I will not be paying them this amount not even half of it.

Your kind help is really appreciated.

Thanks
Tammou$
Attached Thumbnails Help Needed: Comand replacement (Upgrade)-img00003-20090711-2206.jpg   Help Needed: Comand replacement (Upgrade)-img00004-20090711-2206.jpg   Help Needed: Comand replacement (Upgrade)-img00005-20090711-2206.jpg   Help Needed: Comand replacement (Upgrade)-img00006-20090711-2206.jpg   Help Needed: Comand replacement (Upgrade)-img00008-20090711-2207.jpg  

Old 07-14-2009, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by tammous
I'm in the process of replace the comand unit (US version (MSCII) with the Comand APS (NTG2.5) as I can not use middle east navi DVD in the US version.

I own ML350 4matic 2008 US model.

I have read somewhere that it's just a simple task, just take out the US version and put the APS one

in another forum I have read that I will be losing something related to audio since the US version is Harman Kardon and the other one is Harman Becker.

the current one that I have (US MSCII) has bluetooth, SAT, IPOD integration, AUX, CD Player (MP3) , navigation and 7.1 sound system with a subwoofer installed in the back trunk, (I have attached some screenshots of the test mode menu)

Can I just replace the units without losing any functionality and without any re-wiring? If I change it do I have to contact the local dealer to for CODE to be able to use it?

I’m planning to do all this myself as the local dealer asked me for $12,000 to replace the US version of the HU with the Middle East version. And surely I will not be paying them this amount not even half of it.

Your kind help is really appreciated.

Thanks
Tammou$
First off there is no such thing as a Harman Becker. the radio is just Becker. You may lose some functionality of some items like the clock tie in to the gps or perhaps radio features and sound. The nav may work just fine. There is a reason the dealership is so expensive perhaps its because they must change some other components and perhaps some wiring. As for the code, if you purchase a new one you will get the new code if its used its a crap shoot. Buying from E bay is a big risk if thats what you plan to do.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:15 PM

ML 350 4matic
Originally Posted by sosh
First off there is no such thing as a Harman Becker. the radio is just Becker. You may lose some functionality of some items like the clock tie in to the gps or perhaps radio features and sound. The nav may work just fine. There is a reason the dealership is so expensive perhaps its because they must change some other components and perhaps some wiring. As for the code, if you purchase a new one you will get the new code if its used its a crap shoot. Buying from E bay is a big risk if thats what you plan to do.
what do you by the clock tie into the GPS?
I dont mind losing parts of the audio (subwoofer, SAT audio) as long as I will be having Nav, IPOD integration, Phone bluetooth cradle.

I will buy it from the dealer but from my home country (Jordan) dealer who will sell it to me for 1000$ only.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I dont mind losing parts of the audio (subwoofer, SAT audio) as long as I will be having Nav, IPOD integration, Phone bluetooth cradle.

I will buy it from the dealer but from my home country (Jordan) dealer who will sell it to me for 1000$ only.
The clocks in these vehicles with nav are set thru the command and are kept on very accurate time by the time transmitted by the GPS sats. You may or may not lose some of the functions that you mentioned. Only way is to try it. Could be risky. And, yes I believe that a dealer will have to recode some of the features. I am not certain that the new Command will even plug into your vehicle.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W140

If This topic is still actual, contact me thru PM & I maybe be able to help you with all the GPS on your Mercedes...........
Old 09-30-2010, 04:41 PM

2008 ML 320 CDI
Go to Dominic of www.TVandNav2Go.com
7718 Flatlands Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11236
TEL- 718-763-7367Fax- 718-763-5156