M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Winter Tire Suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Winter Tire Suggestions

Any suggestions for winter tires for a 2008 ML320 4matic? I live in Montana and need something that can handle a lot of snow...
Old 10-01-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
Try doing a search of the archives. This question has been asked and answered many times. The bottom line is that whatever winter tire each poster happened to install is the bestest and greatest.

My $0.02: If you want to climb mountains going up the steepest side, nothing in the world beats Nokian Hakkapelittas, but they are pretty extreme. If you just want a good all-round winter tire that is excellent on pavement, ice, and packed snow, good -- but not excellent -- in deep snow, and wears well, Pirelli Scorpions (winter version) are hard to beat. I had them on my X5 and M3 and now on the ML. I drive across the Rockies three or four times each winter. Wouldn't consider anything else now, although I am sure many other brands are good too.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
You should really advise which size wheels you have.

For the 18-in wheels, there are only maybe two MO-spec snowtires and neither are available in the USA. I've fitted the nonMO version of Dunlop Winter Sport M3, which is at least made in Germany.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
I am actually researching the same question, and so far, my choice will be the Nokian WRG2 SUV.
I seriously considered the Blizzak LM 25 (or 60 when they are available) and the Pirelli Scorpion ice and snow.

I am in the Chicagoland area, and we get a good deal of snow. For what it's worth, the factory Continentals all seasons have never left me stranded, but there have times when I wish I had a dedicated set of winter tires as the Conti's can easily reach the limit.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
please keep us posted as to what you choose and how they perform in the snow. I too am in the Chicagoland (Aurora) area and will need tires soon....depending on how much snow we get....
Old 10-03-2009, 05:39 PM

'09 ML550
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
I am actually researching the same question, and so far, my choice will be the Nokian WRG2 SUV.
I seriously considered the Blizzak LM 25 (or 60 when they are available) and the Pirelli Scorpion ice and snow.

I am in the Chicagoland area, and we get a good deal of snow. For what it's worth, the factory Continentals all seasons have never left me stranded, but there have times when I wish I had a dedicated set of winter tires as the Conti's can easily reach the limit.
The Nokian WR2 is an all-season tire. It is, IMHO, the best all-season tire you can buy. However, it will not perform as well in winter as a full snow tire. Blizzaks are excellent when new but tend to degrade rather quickly. The Pirellis will out-perform the Nokians in Winter just because they are less of a compromise. If the OP doesn't want to go to the trouble of changing wheels/tires twice a year, the Nokians are his best choice. But if he does a lot of winter driving in nasty conditions, the Pirellis on a second set of wheels are better. I live just up the road from him. We tend to get very cold snaps here with a lot of packed ice/snow on the roads rather than deep, wet snowfalls like you get in Illinois. If I lived in the east again, I would tend to go for a snow tire with a blockier tread, more suitable for deep snow conditions. (That's where the Blizzak excels, for example.) I have Nokian WRs on my PT Cruiser and they are fine, but I only drive it short distances in winter.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The notion of "all season tire" is basically ridiculous. It's like "universal" which means doesn't do anything very well.

The term "snow tire" is not used anymore and is instead replaced with "cold weather tire." The point being that it takes a completely different kind of rubber to perform optimally at temperatures below 40 degrees F. It isn't just about tread pattern.

Be sure you get winter tires with the snowflake/mountain symbol. Best bet is a second set of wheels and--thanks to Ford Explorer/Firestone--a second set of tire pressure monitor system wheel sensors.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:31 PM

'08 IS F; '09 ML 320 Bluetec; '10 X5 35d
I've got the Blizzak LM 25 4x4 tires on the way for our '09 ML320. They'll be going on as soon as they get here....as it's been snowing all day today.
I'll let you know how they perform shortly.

I've got Pirelli Scorpion's on the X5. They are adequate at best....hoping the Blizzak's for the ML are as good as the ones for my IS F.

Btw, I do live in the Rockies and see more snow than most members. My F was no problem with the Blizzak's last winter.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
I'm wondering if it is worth it to get winter tires. my 2010 ML350 came with continental all-season 19" tires and i don't think continental tires are good at all. i would have much better preferred the Pirelli. i've already noticed situations in which i'll drive the car through a puddle and the tires will sometimes skid a little. given this, are winter tires worth it. i'm in the Washington DC area and the possibility of heavy snow might be limited 1 week out of the whole winter.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:36 AM

ML 350 4Matic
Continental 4x4 WinterContact seems to have good reviews on Tire Rack.

Our '10 ML won't be here until November or December so we'll need winter tires right away. Last time we purchased a car we took delivery in December as well as all the winter tires were sold out for our 19" wheels. Lesson learned, buy early in the season?

My husband is busy watching a damn game on TV so I'm researching tires, what fun

Anyway, guess I'll dig thru the archives and see what's recommended. I want to avoid a noisy tire if possible.

Great forum btw.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:15 AM

'08 IS F; '09 ML 320 Bluetec; '10 X5 35d
So we got our Blizzak LM 25 4X4's put on our 09 ML 320 last week. Thank goodness we did as we awoke to about a foot of snow on the ground this morning. I was very eager to see how she handled. It was amazing!!!

I stuck with the OEM tire size but declined to put RFT's on for the winter. The grip and handling with these tires was simply outstanding. I cannot say enough good things about the Blizzaks. I imagine that the new LM 60's (they replace the LM 25's apparently) would be just as good and hopefully even better.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
I went with the Nokians WRG2SUV. So far, all we have had is cold rain, but the traction around tight turns is far supior to the Continentals. Now I am actually wishing for some snow to try them on! Road noise is less, and highway cruising in wet weather feels very sure footed. With the Conti's I would feel that any sudden manuvers in the same conditions would result in a loss of traction or control.
So far I am happy.