M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

09 ML320 Blutec no start problem!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 BluTec
09 ML320 Blutec no start problem!!!!!

I have approx. 7k miles on my 09 ml320 blutec and out of nowhere, the truck would crank over but not start. I had to turn the key 8-9 cycles for the truck to start. There's plenty of adblue in the tank and diesel in the tank. The first time it happened, I got a chek engine light and brought it back to the dealer. They found a loose harness on the control module behind the passenger front wheel well and updated the cdi control module. MB said there was a recall/update for the module. A week later, the same thing happened to my wife. She took the car to work, and about 3 hours later when she was ready to leave, the same thing happened. Its been at the dealer since thursday and they can't find the problem. This time there was no check lights. Any Ideas??????
Old 01-30-2010, 06:25 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
I had the same issue my my 09 ML320 BlueTec- exactly the same - they replaced the fuel pump and that fixed the issue. Thanks.

FYI - the fuel pump in under the back seat.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:45 PM

2009 ML320 BluTec
could you post the dealer phone number and possibly the service advisor you dealt with. MB seems to think its the cdi module and has one on order. The car has been at MB since tuesday. I can have my service advisor call your service advisor so that they dont waste the time changing out the wrong parts.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
Dealer is Mercedes Benz of Orange Park in Jacksonville, Fl. Service Advisor is Ted K. and Tech was Justin. I will try to call them in the morning to let them know they will get a call. Phone is 904-777-5900.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:40 AM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
Scott the service advisor is Ted Kypreos and I let him know that someone would be calling in regards to this, please let me know how it works out for you.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:52 PM

2009 ML320 BluTec
Thanks for the info. I let the service manager know of the info that you gave me as well as calling MB customer service. After Them having the car for over a week, they changed the cdi control module. What they told me was that there were non-specific codes that the computer that controls the fuel pump wasn't 'talking' to the cdi computer. They explained to me that they, as well as an MB engineer felt that the fuel pump wasn;t the problem, given that there were no codes generated for the pump as well as no visual indication that the pump was failing, i/e a melting wire harness or fusable link. So, after all this, what happened. The next night, when it was 20 degrees outside, it didn;t start again. However, it started on the 2nd try. I'm waiting to let it happen again so I can capture it on video with my cell phone.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
Wow, sorry about. Please let us know how it works out.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 PM

2009 ML320 BluTec
So here's an update. The car died on me for 45 minutes on friday, then eventually started. The dealership was closed for President's day today, and of course the car died again. However, it didn't start at all and I killed the battery trying to start it. I called roadside assistance and the flat bedded the truck to Rallye motors in Rosalyn. I have to tell you, I was more than impressed with their service. They gave me a loaner, even though I wasn't a customer of theirs and they said they would try to resolve the problem with the truck, or swap out the truck under the lemon law. This time I got wise and captured the no start condition both times with my video camera on my cell phone. I can't wait to go back to the service dept at Helms Bros and give them a piece of my mind. I'll update the post once I know more this week. Let's see how far M/B will stand behind their product.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:23 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
OK - please keep us posted sorry to hear that - as an FYI, mine was not giving cods that there was a fuel pump issue - the fuel pump was just not working. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:54 PM

2009 ML320 BluTec
I would assume that a fresh perspective on a problem yields positive results. Since my truck is at another dealership, miraculously they found the problem with the truck, and lowe and behold, its the fuel pump. Wow, after telling Helms Bros for almost a month, it took a 2nd dealership to find the problem. We'll see what the end result is tomorrow when the truck is ready.

Scott
Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
You should be good to go after they replace the pump. that is too bad about the trouble that you have gone through for this. I guess some dealerships are better than others. My diagnosed and fixed it in a day - it actually did not store for them once while I was at the dealership!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:56 PM

2009 mercedes ml 320 bluetec
Angry 09 ml 320 bluetec starting problems

I think you may all be wrong. I have had mine for 2 years. In the first year, no one told me about the famous coil for the diesel. You must turn the key partially until the coil appears and then disappears, then complete turning to start the car. If not, it may not turnover. This happened and still happens multiple times. Sometimes a repeat after cooling for 10 minutes, and it would start. Other times an hour. Then other times no start. Tow truck personnel confirm the problem, tow the car, then the next morning at the dealer it starts. They make me feel like I'm nuts. Still happening. It is a real lemon. On a trip returning from NJ on a Sunday, and it didn't start on the turnpike. MB had to call a private contractor to just get it off NJ turnpike property. 4 hour ordeal. After freaking and attemptig to arrange MB 24 hour tow to dealer and wondering how we and our dog would get home or a hotel, it just started. I'm beyond the lemon law 18 months in VA, but I have to get rid of this car. Reliability is my most important thing. It's the diesel system. Valet, car wash, kids, all don't always realize it's a diesel and have to turn it on a "special" way, and it's dead for 1-4 hours. Horrible.

Last edited by nsherm2416; 04-18-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-19-2011, 10:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
nsherm2416, have your injectors or glow plugs checked. Hopefully you are under warranty.
This system is designed that you can just turn the key and go. I only wait on the coil light on days well below freezing. Car wash employees, relatives etc don't know it's a diesel and it ALWAYS cranks right up. In 4 years of ownership, it has only not started once, when it was parked outside at -30F for two days, and I had no anti gel in the fuel. The fuel froze, and I had to use a hair dryer to warm the fuel filter. Then it fired right up.
Also make sure you are not stepping or pumping on the accelerator while cranking.

These diesels are extremely reliable, and as you can see, goinflyn has not had a starting issue since his 2/2010 post for fuel pump replacement.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:10 AM

2009 mercedes ml 320 bluetec
09 ml 320 bluetec starting problems

Thanks dgiturbo. It's at the dealer. I does sound preposterous that turning it on the "wrong" way would blow starting for so many hours. So it is under warranty, at the shop now and they are working it up. It actually happened there for the first time- in the eve though, so no technicians there, but the guy that drives the cars out turned it the wrong way and it didn't start. So they had to leave it there in the drive up overnight. They're talking fuel pump, glow plugs everything. They are committed to holding it until they fix it. Got a loaner til then. Will update you, and will forward these threads to the dealer. I do love the car otherwise, and get great mileage, so I want it to work.

Last edited by nsherm2416; 04-21-2011 at 12:12 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-30-2011, 10:49 AM

ML320 CDI
can you hear the electric pump humming when you turn the key to the crank position ? When it happens to me the pump isnt running. dealer is useless. wont fix it until it hard fails. currently have water damage to the SAM so I hope its related to that. seems like all these MLs leak at the real light lenses and the water damages the computer and MB wont cover water damage.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:51 PM

GL 320
GL 320 cranks and does not start

I have the exact same problem.
Been to the dealer 3 times, setting up the 4th appointment.

Any updates on how to fix it ?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:52 PM

ML320 CDI
My electric fuel pump finally quit. I begged the dealer to replace it under warranty but they falt out refused. I paid $430 for a new pump and replaced it myself. What a rip. No problems since for me. Like I say. listen for the humming sound of the pump running. It will be coming from under the right rear seat. no hum means pump not running and engine not starting. If you hear the pump run and it still doesnt start you have a different problem. Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 PM

GL 320
UPDATE: I just got my GL back, they replaced the fuel pump.
Day 1 - no problems. I will provide an update after 1 month or sooner if the problem recurs