M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

All weather vehicle "Really"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w164 (ml 500)
All weather vehicle "Really"?

Ok this is not my first rodeo dealing with winter driving nor my first SUV/AWD, (we have lived in the Tahoe area for over 35 years). But this is our first ML and after this morning experience, I'm not very impressed.

Winter has been slow to come this year in the Sierras, and arrived last night in a rather minor way as compared to last year, and this morning I drove to Reno from the Truckee and the ML compared to past SUVs sucked.

Windows fogged, headlights froze over causing glare, wipers (new) also froze up and required a stop to clean. The real surprise, total lack of feel thru the steering wheel or seat of my pants.

With new Pirelli Snow an Ice tires, that have on our past vehicles work like magic. But the ML even on the hard pac this AM they didn't seem to have any bit.

Maybe I'v been spoiled by our other AWDs, or I should have take the warning sign at the bottom our our hill. An ML stuck with it's flashers on, and it's not that much of a hill.

Mark
Old 01-23-2012, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ml350
Wow. That sounds like you had quite a time.

I have had the exact opposite experience. The windows stay clear when I throw the heat to the windshield and the wipers don't freeze up. I'm not sure about the headlights freezing as I haven't experienced this either.

In fact, with the Goodyear Ultragrip Ice & Snows, I was one of the few who made it to work a winter or so back that didn't have a Hummer, modified Jeep or our lone Unimog. Granted Pennsylvania doesn't as severe weather as I have experienced in New England or my stints in Wisconsin or Minnesota; but none the less, my ML has had impeccable snow manners.

Either my Bluetec or my wife's ML350 has about the same characteristics, so I'm not sure what to tell you. If this is specific to the ML500, maybe the greater power is overcoming the ability of the traction control to keep it reined in... (i.e. - the reason the AMG stays inside during the nasty stuff).

Hope you have better experiences in the future.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Sorry to hear. FYI, the nickname for my ML is the "snowmobile". Towed a trailer through snow up to the grill. NEVER been stuck. Drove around other vehicles that were stuck, drove around other vehicles that were spinning out of control. NEVER stuck.
For the fogging up, press the Auto button, and set the interior temp to say 72.
For headlights and wipers, what washer fluid are you using? Also, I and everyone else I see have to clean snow and ice before we drive off. Never had it re accumulate even in blizzards to the point where I had to stop and clean again.
As for the steering feel, I love the feedback. The vehicle has a yaw sensor, and if you steer and the vehicle doesn't respond due to traction, it brakes whichever wheel is needed to force the vehicle back on course. Really neat feedback when that happens. Also the traction control and 4Matic for me really does the job. As I mentioned, NEVER been stuck. And I have ventured into some harsh territory thus far.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
My ML did awesome during the snowmaggedon that hit DC a couple of years ago. I have Pirelli snow and ice tires on 17" rims and the ML plowed right through 2 feet of powder snow with no problems at all. never got stuck once while driving around before the roads finally got plowed.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w164 (ml 500)
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Sorry to hear. FYI, the nickname for my ML is the "snowmobile". Towed a trailer through snow up to the grill. NEVER been stuck. Drove around other vehicles that were stuck, drove around other vehicles that were spinning out of control. NEVER stuck.
For the fogging up, press the Auto button, and set the interior temp to say 72.
For headlights and wipers, what washer fluid are you using? Also, I and everyone else I see have to clean snow and ice before we drive off. Never had it re accumulate even in blizzards to the point where I had to stop and clean again.
As for the steering feel, I love the feedback. The vehicle has a yaw sensor, and if you steer and the vehicle doesn't respond due to traction, it brakes whichever wheel is needed to force the vehicle back on course. Really neat feedback when that happens. Also the traction control and 4Matic for me really does the job. As I mentioned, NEVER been stuck. And I have ventured into some harsh territory thus far.

Like I said, this is not our first winter or winter driving experience, last year it was common to wake up to a fresh 2 to 3 feet of snow, this year so far as yesterday goes we only had about 6 inches at the house (but there has been more) The wife had to break out the snowblower in the afternoon.

Temp was set in auto at 72, but had to repeatedly go to the deferent mode to defog interior. This is not the first time having the windows fog in the cold/snow, but in the past we had a wet snow covered dog in the back.
Cracking a window open was the only way that the windows would clear.

Yes the car was cleaned off, in fact it came out of the garage.

Washer fluid is a product that we have been using for years (-45 freeze level). That morning it was only 31 f. with a wet snow fall.

As for the lights, Zenons really don't put out a lot of heat, and we have had the same problem with our other so equipped cars/trucks.

And I know about how DSC/TC work and I'm going to say that the MLs is very sensitive.

It's not that it didn't get me to where I wanted to go, it's just was not as confidents inspiring as other vehicles we have and do have.

By the way in our household the ML does have a nickname; "The Blue Bunny" Maybe that's the problem, we have a bunny and not a snowshoe rabbit.

Mark
Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 AM

'09 ML550
I concur with the other posts -- there must be something wrong with your ML for it to have acted that way. I live in serious snow country and have done for over 40 years. I have had numerous vehicles from FWD cars to RWD cars to 4WD cars to BMW, Honda, and Mercedes SUVs. The ML is as good as any of them and better than most in pretty much all aspects of winter driving. It has never fogged up (you must have moisture trapped in the AC system), the headlights have never frozen over (in fact I have never even heard of that happening until I read your post), the wipers have never frozen (the washers are heated and anyway, like you I use good winter washing fluid), and you get the feeling that the vehicle would happily climb the side of a house (I am on Pirelli Scorpion Winter Sport tires). I have never even come close to getting stuck, even when the ditches are littered with other vehicles.

The "lack of feel" must just be a subjective thing. While the ML is no sports car, I have no problem with the driving feel at all.

I sure hope it grows on you!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
I am in the same boat as Moto One......

however this is my first ML, I do not have snow tires, but brand new factory stock all seasons. This might be part of my issue, as the truck is all over the place, and very lousy traction, hitting the brakes, and snow on the ground, well she just won't stop....

I find that the windows tend to fog up more than any of my other vehicles, this is even in the summer with the AC on, you got a fog patch on the outside just above the window wipers.

now I don't have frozen headlights, I only have the standard lights, and I use -45 washerfluid, so that is not a problem either.

I found my BMW X5, to have handled much better in the snow, and it did not have winter tires on it, just the stock all season rubber....

This being my first winter with the ML, we decided to try it without snow tires, I guess for next winter I will get a set of 4 and see if the handling
improves at all.

I really feel as if I have skates on the car, as it will not go where I want it too, or stop in the distance I would expect it too

This is just my experience with this vehicle, and driving it for the first time in winter.

On a positive note, the vehicle handles great in the dry, hot, warm, sunny days of summer (other than the condensation on the windshield), and even handles itself very well in the wet weather as well, mind you once again a bit more fog on the windows (inside) than what I expect.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
The factory Conti's worked well for me, but tire tread life sucked. Now I run Nokians WRG2 SUV year round. Night and day difference, and 40K miles on the same set so far, with lots more tread left.
What washer fluid are you guys using that go to -45? The best I can find here is -35, and I have issues with the credibility of that claim.

Moto one, wasn't doubting your skills, just trying to guess at possibilities to help. The wet dog, your jackets and boots melting into the mats may be why you are fogging up so much. Had that happen on a snow play day, but I just keep the front defrost on and for me it cleared up and stayed away. Also make sure recirculate is NOT on. This will cause pretty good fogging under the conditions you describe.

With me, as I drive though wet snow, I frequently spray the headlamp washers and that keeps the Xenon's clear. Are yours working? My headlamp washers are not heated (07 model) and the nozzles will freeze, so hence the need for a really good washer fluid. (08 and above were heated.)
Hope all this helps. And yes, change the ML's name.