M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

wife cant decide between white or black on a new ml350 any thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML350 4Matic
How about silver? If not then black I suppose. It's the nicest looking car on the road for the first five minutes after a good washing.

Then again, and not being certain of where you live, keep in mind that having a black car in a hot sunny climate can at times feel like very very bad idea.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I recommend neither.

Black is hard to keep clean. It's hard enough on my SLK, the ML is very big, I don't recommend it on anything but a tiny car.

Second, white from a detailer perspective like mine isn't very fun to work with.

I'd get something like Palladium or Steel Grey. They are gorgeous and really turn the heads.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:17 PM

CLS550
Aargh it's my turn now. Black vs White??
I've read all the posts and realize the pros and cons. However, these are my choices:

Black/Cashmere + P2 + Lighting (bixenons + LED)
White/Charcoal + P2 + hitch (don't really need this anyway).

Is the lighting package worth the upkeep of a black car? Same year, similar mileage, similar price, all in excellent condition, all CPOs.

PS: Live in Denver, almost no rain, moderate snow in the winter, plenty of sun, lots of highway use getting to and off work, and the car will always be garaged at home and work. Glad to have this problem, but Help!
Old 08-07-2012, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'11 ML350
Originally Posted by mbars
Aargh it's my turn now. Black vs White??
I've read all the posts and realize the pros and cons. However, these are my choices:

Black/Cashmere + P2 + Lighting (bixenons + LED)
White/Charcoal + P2 + hitch (don't really need this anyway).

Is the lighting package worth the upkeep of a black car? Same year, similar mileage, similar price, all in excellent condition, all CPOs.

PS: Live in Denver, almost no rain, moderate snow in the winter, plenty of sun, lots of highway use getting to and off work, and the car will always be garaged at home and work. Glad to have this problem, but Help!
I've owned a few black vehicles in my time. After each one I swear I will NEVER own another one...the a few years later I see a particular vehicle that looks stunning in black. And before I know it, it's in my garage - at least for a while until I remember WHY I didn't like the maintenance of a black vehicle.

I live in Denver too. Don't kid yourself, there's nothing here that's easy on a black car. The air is really dusty, especially during the winter, mag chloride/salt on roads, etc, etc...

OK, that's out of the way.....I really like xenon headlights, but not enough to justify buying a black car. It was a priority for me when I ordered a new '11 because I do have an issue with night time driving...but that's me.

With 3 dealers in the immediate area and another 1 on Colo Springs I'm sure you can find exactly the one you want in no time.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:01 PM

CLS550
so, bye bye xenons then?
I guess it's true, and I'm assuming that I could always buy aftermarket HIDs if I craved them?

The other day I saw a white ML parked in downtown and my reaction was.. meh.. Then 2 blocks away I saw a gleaming black one and immdediately thought "THAT'S what I want.. no contest".

My current ride is also white with all the options, so I'm sure it would take time to get used to halogens.
Thanks, it's good to hear an opinion from someone with experience who lives in the same area.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
White is okay but a little boring, black is very hard to maintain (I've owned two black Porsche turbos and will NEVER own a black car again), but all my MB's have been silver (including my current ML550) and they always look good!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
I hate black! Definitely shows the dirt quicker than a light colored car, and unbearably hot in summer. Park it walk away for 10 minutes, and when you return, you have to open the door, reach in turn on AC, and wait in the sun for a bit before you get in. No problems with the white. Perhaps if you live in Northern Canada you can ignore that.

BiXenon lights however are absolutely essential. So take the black unless a third option appears.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 AM

2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
I have owned 4 black vehicles in the past, and although there is nothing like a freshly cleaned and waxed black vehicle they are a pain in the a$$ to take care of.

I won’t say that I won’t ever buy another because I said that after the second one and I purchased two more LOL. But after four I don’t see it happening again..

If you don’t properly wash a black vehicle every little swirl and scratch is going to look magnified compared to another color. And If you plan on taking it through automated car washes (even brushless) the black will eventually look like a mess in the sunlight.

Yes, I admit I am a little neurotic when it comes to cleaning my vehicles so certain things that bother me may not bother the next person.

The white on the other hand is much more forgiving.. IMO, I like the white with black interior.

Good luck with your decision…
Old 08-08-2012, 01:32 PM

CLS550
Thanks all!
So I’m going to play devil’s advocate here and try to respond to all of the three comments above.

I’d feel the same way if this was a Porsche turbo. Porsches are different animals.. by law, they are required to look pristine
The same goes with MB sedans and roadsters.

This is a truck, and people would consider slightly dirty trucks as somewhat normal. I live in Denver where we have 4 seasons, mountain lifestyles, and we’re not used to see exotics around on a daily basis, all of that contribute to the fact that people are more forgiving and used to see slightly dirty SUVs. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a Mercedes-Benz and it still deserves a first class treatment, but my point is, I’d be more stressed out thinking about appearance maintenance if this was a black W221.

Black color tends to “weaken” the form of the car because your eyes would be more attracted to the reflections than the overall shape. Thus, black usually works well on large size SUVs and sedans which have larger body panels and seemingly more sparse details… in this case, the everchanging reflections add to the details. That’s why a white SUV probably seems a bit more boring.

A bit off topic here, CLSs on the other hand, IMHO would look better in light color because its body shape is the most striking factor and you want to capitalize on it. The same goes with Lambos for example, or SLRs, or SLS, or any car with distinctive form, IMHO they would look better in bright colors. If I were to pick between a white and a black SLS, hands down I’d definitely go with the white. W221 - large body panels, less details, definitely black.

Summer in Colorado is hot and dry, but the cashmere interior should help, no?
And while I really appreciate the viewpoints from experienced owners, most stated they had a few black cars before. To me it says that the tolerance level is limited to 2 or 3 cars, not more than that. This would be my first, so I'm sure you remember how it felt to have your first black car.
Imagine this, gleaming black ML with xenons and LED tails in downtown with all the city light reflections, at dusk.

I could argue just as well about white color and I still don’t know what to pick. Under pressure I’d probably take the safe route and go with white just because it’s the devil I know (my DD MB is white).
Off all the available colors, my top three choices would be Steel Gray, Verde Brook, Palladium. Too bad there are only two options for me at this point.

Thanks again. Keep em coming if you have more
Old 08-08-2012, 02:00 PM

Thanks all!
So I’m going to play devil’s advocate here and try to respond to all of the three comments above.

I’d feel the same way if this was a Porsche turbo. Porsches are different animals.. by law, they are required to look pristine
The same goes with MB sedans and roadsters.

This is a truck, and people would consider slightly dirty trucks as somewhat normal. I live in Denver where we have 4 seasons, mountain lifestyles, and we’re not used to see exotics around on a daily basis, all of that contribute to the fact that people are more forgiving and used to see slightly dirty SUVs. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a Mercedes-Benz and it still deserves a first class treatment, but my point is, I’d be more stressed out thinking about appearance maintenance if this was a black W221.

Black color tends to “weaken” the form of the car because your eyes would be more attracted to the reflections than the overall shape. Thus, black usually works well on large size SUVs and sedans which have larger body panels and seemingly more sparse details… in this case, the everchanging reflections add to the details. That’s why a white SUV probably seems a bit more boring.

A bit off topic here, CLSs on the other hand, IMHO would look better in light color because its body shape is the most striking factor and you want to capitalize on it. The same goes with Lambos for example, or SLRs, or SLS, or any car with distinctive form, IMHO they would look better in bright colors. If I were to pick between a white and a black SLS, hands down I’d definitely go with the white. W221 - large body panels, less details, definitely black.

Summer in Colorado is hot and dry, but the cashmere interior should help, no?
And while I really appreciate the viewpoints from experienced owners, most stated they had a few black cars before. To me it says that the tolerance level is limited to 2 or 3 cars, not more than that. This would be my first, so I'm sure you remember how it felt to have your first black car.
Imagine this, gleaming black ML with xenons and LED tails in downtown with all the city light reflections, at dusk.

I could argue just as well about white color and I still don’t know what to pick. Under pressure I’d probably take the safe route and go with white just because it’s the devil I know (my DD MB is white).
Off all the available colors, my top three choices would be Steel Gray, Verde Brook, Palladium. Too bad there are only two options for me at this point.

Thanks again. Keep em coming if you have more

^^Good point.. I am giving my opinion after owning 4 black vehicles so I have experienced the pros and cons..

Color is such a personal perference.. Why dont you go to the dealer and look at the black and white side by side in the sun and then decide..

BTW- You metioned Steel Gray, my wife's ML is Steel Gray, love the color..
Old 08-08-2012, 02:23 PM

A forum member in the 166 thread picked this up a couple of weeks ago.. As I mentioned earlier, I like the white and black.... IMO great looking ML

GregW / Oregon - I hope you don't mind me posting pics of your ML..

Last edited by Cyber GS; 08-08-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:38 PM

CLS550
Thanks. That's one great looking ML inside and out!
However..

Originally Posted by iankayem
I hate black! ...
BiXenon lights however are absolutely essential. So take the black unless a third option appears.
This ^^^

PS: great looking wheels too! I'm asuming they're OEMs? Regardless of the color I'll call my dealer and see if that could fit on W164s.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:48 PM

CLS550
8:15 am got an email that the white was sold.
11:30 am got a call that the black was also sold.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
That's life!

Now for the third option.... Iridium has been fantastic, but this time I have selected Palladium Silver! But definitely with BiXenons.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:35 PM

'11 ML350
8:15 am got an email that the white was sold.
11:30 am got a call that the black was also sold.
actually I think that's good. Sounded to me like you were compromising anyway.

Now you can concentrate on the features and color(s) you WANT, not what's available right now. If you put feelers out to the 4 dealers what you're looking for I bet they can find the right one for you...
Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 AM

CLS550
Found a Verde Brook/cashmere with P1, front heated seats and .. lighting package!
So it's not really black, but hopefully it's dark enough to do all the wonderful things black color would do. And the metallic shuold ease the maintenance issues.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG edition 1
If she cleans it...ever, then black. If she doesnt clean it, then white. Simple as that
Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 PM

'11 ML350
Found a Verde Brook/cashmere with P1, front heated seats and .. lighting package!
So it's not really black, but hopefully it's dark enough to do all the wonderful things black color would do. And the metallic shuold ease the maintenance issues.
good find! what year and mileage?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,175 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I have sold lots of cars for lots of years.

I always had people coming in saying, "I don't want a black car because it's so hard to keep clean."
And I had lots of people coming in saying, "I don't want a white car because it's so hard to keep clean."

Then there were others who came in and said, "I want a white car because it's so gorgeous when it's all spiffed up."
And there were the others who came in and said, "I want a black car because it's so gorgeous when it's all spiffed up."

Just ask yourself, "What would make me smile when I walk up to it?"

P.S. It seems that I have always had black or white cars (decision mostly depending if I liked the shade of white, or the match of the interior that was available.

I always said that I would never have a Silver car, but now I think my Iridium Silver ML over Black Leather is the best combination I have ever owned. (But now we have a new tan dog, and we are looking at a home on a long red-gravel road.)
You get the picture

See my comment, above, about SMILING when you walk up to it. (You may have to walk up to it from various angles before you write the check....) GET THE LIGHTING PACKAGE!!!!

I do like the C Class Red, however....

Last edited by mikapen; 09-13-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: addition PS