M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML 450 Hybrid Surging Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML350, 2019 S560
ML 450 Hybrid Surging Issues

I have a ML 450 Hybrid since Jan 2010. I have noted at low speeds it will suddenly surge forward or backward in gear, with no accelerator pedal application. This ML already spent a month at MB dealer while braking system (low brake pedal, barely stopped at full brake application - required MB to redesign a part for braking system) was fixed. It had the surging issues before it was in for braking fix, but it did not correct the surging.

Anyone else with this issue on this hybrid?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
I had the exact same problem on four different occasions. Twice when exiting the freeway and applying the brakes, it surged and nearly hit the car in front. One instance was pulling into the garage, applying the brake, it surged forward. The last occurance caused damage to the car as it surged in a parking lot while braking and pulling into a parking slot, jumping the embankment finally stopping when it hit a tree. The car was inspected by Mercedes and they can not seem to figure out the problem. I have been without the car for five weeks. Many articles on the internet talk about the regenerative braking issues and how the system doesn't register a failure when checked. I am concerned about driving this car anymore since I feel I was lucky that no one was hurt. In a different set of circumstances it is easy to imagine a bad result. Can anyone help with ideas or how to handle this major safety problem?
Old 08-21-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML350, 2019 S560
Originally Posted by joelreznick
I had the exact same problem on four different occasions. Twice when exiting the freeway and applying the brakes, it surged and nearly hit the car in front. One instance was pulling into the garage, applying the brake, it surged forward. The last occurance caused damage to the car as it surged in a parking lot while braking and pulling into a parking slot, jumping the embankment finally stopping when it hit a tree. The car was inspected by Mercedes and they can not seem to figure out the problem. I have been without the car for five weeks. Many articles on the internet talk about the regenerative braking issues and how the system doesn't register a failure when checked. I am concerned about driving this car anymore since I feel I was lucky that no one was hurt. In a different set of circumstances it is easy to imagine a bad result. Can anyone help with ideas or how to handle this major safety problem?
Can you tell me what dealer you took your ML to? Mine is at the MB dealer in Jacksonville (Brumos) and they are unable to replicate the problem.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:48 PM

E55
I just sent a PM on Location of the ML. It's still at the dealership and has been for 2+ months.
Has anyone else heard anything about this? It seems from reading on the internet that the regenerative brakes could be causing the out of control power as too much power is generated to push back into the batteries, the same problem with most of the Toyota and Ford hybrids. Plus I think the entire hybrid system in the ML is the same as in the new S hybrid, so I wonder if this is going to be a problem for all MB hybrids.

Any thoughts, Anyone? Please help!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:36 PM

2008 ml
Looking to take over Ml 450 lease, with the unlimited miles. Anyone looking to get out of their current lease?

Isidorostk@gmail.com
Old 07-17-2012, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Yeah let's just keep bringing up old threads instead of making your own asking for someone to relinquish their lease.