M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Aquapel or Rain X Issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 AMG GLE 63S
Aquapel or Rain X Issues?

Does anyone use Aquapel (PPG product) or Rain X on their vehicle with the rain sensor? Any issues with the wipers? Any noted benefits?

I'm thinking of putting it on, as I've had some good experiences with the product (Aquapel seems to be better to me), but I've never put it on a windshield with the rain sensor.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320CDI 2008 all options inc air suspension
Originally Posted by troymir350
Does anyone use Aquapel (PPG product) or Rain X on their vehicle with the rain sensor? Any issues with the wipers? Any noted benefits?

I'm thinking of putting it on, as I've had some good experiences with the product (Aquapel seems to be better to me), but I've never put it on a windshield with the rain sensor.
Makes no difference on the rain sensor.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:06 PM

2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by Vernl
Makes no difference on the rain sensor.
It makes no difference on the sensor, I agree. The wipers come on same as before. It does however make them streak, and when I say streak, I mean a lot. I thought it was my blades so I replaced them on my R500 and the problem continued. Haven't used Aquapel, but used Rain-X and couldn't wait until it wore out. Once it did, the wipers worked fine again.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:53 AM

'09 ML550
Originally Posted by aggst1
It makes no difference on the sensor, I agree. The wipers come on same as before. It does however make them streak, and when I say streak, I mean a lot. I thought it was my blades so I replaced them on my R500 and the problem continued. Haven't used Aquapel, but used Rain-X and couldn't wait until it wore out. Once it did, the wipers worked fine again.
I learned the hard way that it is critically important how you apply Rain-X. The windshield has to be absolutely spotless -- and I mean clean almost to hospital standards. Then apply the Rain-X sparingly to a warm(ish) windshield, spread it well, let it dry, polish it with a soft cloth, and repeat. Let it 'cure' at least a couple of hours before using the wipers. When I apply it without going through this process, it streaks.

I'm not sure if the benefit is worth the hassle of applying it properly. I use it on my motorhome as the windshield is the size of a bus's and I drive it rarely enough that I only have to apply the Rain-X once a year, but I don't bother any more on my cars.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:11 AM

2019 AMG GLE 63S
Thanks for the input from all. If you have never seen it, there is a product called "Bio-Clean" usually available from commercial glass companies. It takes off all the water spots and any residue from bugs, etc. I'll let you know how the Aquapel goes on and if there seems to be any noted difference/benefit.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:34 PM

'09 ML550
Originally Posted by troymir350
Thanks for the input from all. If you have never seen it, there is a product called "Bio-Clean" usually available from commercial glass companies. It takes off all the water spots and any residue from bugs, etc. I'll let you know how the Aquapel goes on and if there seems to be any noted difference/benefit.
On the Aquapel website they say it is "Designed for professional application ..." but that you can touch it up yourself afterwards. I'll be interested to read your comments about applying it.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:31 PM

2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by roadrutz
On the Aquapel website they say it is "Designed for professional application ..." but that you can touch it up yourself afterwards. I'll be interested to read your comments about applying it.
I am pretty sure they also sell a consumer version. I have seen it for sale at Costco. I also know first hand since I used to work for PPG - the maker of Aquapel as well as many of the products/parts used to make our Benzes like all the glass/windows and some of the adhesives used, and most importantly the paints and coatings in general.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:57 PM

2019 AMG GLE 63S
Correct it is sold in multi packs at Costco. It's also sold at Tire Rack as everyone here seems to respect that as a reference. I've used it and it works but like anything you have to be diligent about the prep and take your time.

I've had OE wiper issues and replaced with whatever would work in the middle of nowhere (so to speak) and now I prefer to ask multiple times before acting. The aim twice shoot once mentality maybe?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A4 1.9 TDI 2002, MB C200 CDI 2004, MB C220 CDI 2009
I am happy with Rain X. Using on 3 cars now.
Started to use many years ago (about 15-18 I think).
Is a rare product in my country.
I buy 2-3 flasks when I find.
I use to apply Rain X once every 3-4 month.