M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Xenon headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Xenon headlights

Hello, so I picked up my 08 ML350 today, glad to be in the ML family. Anyway, tonight I notice my headlights are not white/blue like other ML's I've seen on the road. I let my dad drive the car home and I drove infront, I notice at certain angles, the beams/projector has a hue tint of blue but if you look directly and closely, it's really yellow.

The ad from the dealer mentioned it has xenon's, so doesn't xenon mean it has OEM HID's?

If it doesn't have OEM HID, which brand would be best and where to get it from? I've read about Mtec on here but are there any other brands or just that? and what are the "clips" when buying aftermarket HID kits?I though it's just plug and play?

sorry new to Benz and mods, much help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 AM

2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
If you have OEM Xenons then you are all set, don't need anything more IMHO. It sounds you do have them since you said at a different angle the hue changes. Their color is bright white not some cheap Walmart type blue you see on some cars. Enjoy it.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 AMG GLE 63S
Other than the most obvious way to tell if you have the factory lighting package (look under the hood at the bulb/ballasts), if you have round foglight housings you don't have the lighting package. If you have oval foglight housings, you likely have the lighting package. The oval fogs indicate you have cornering fogs, which came with the lighting package.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 AM

ML
I see...the passenger side seems REALLY bright when I was behind him. Is it the angle that needs to be adjusted? it was literally looking at the sun vs a star, is that normal or should I adjust the passenger side?

You guys wouldn't consider adding 4500K-5000k? So if I WAS to order a pair, I would need the whole HID kit or just the D1S HID bulbs?

Last edited by rickybooby; 02-02-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
If you have Xenon's, you will also have headlight washers in the front bumper cover. If you don't have them and want to retro fit, you would need to reprogram the body computer to accept them. They are monitored/controlled by that computer. (Called SAM I believe.)
As for adjustment, one does aim at a slightly different angle than the other to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. There is some adjustment allowed. Check the owners manual for the steps.

Also as a side note, if you have leather, the wood trim on the interior will be a really dark brown. If you have instead MB Tex, then the wood trim is a light brown. I have seen several independent dealers advertise for leather and Xenon's on vehicles without them.

Congrats on the ride. I'm sure you will enjoy.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 PM

ML
Darn, I checked my car just now and no headlight washers on front bumper.no dark wood trim interior. But i swore I saw hue's of blue/white or maybe I was really tired and seeing thing but it was only 7pm.

Anyway, the ad from the dealer said it had xenons, so should I call and complain or are there ML350's out there that has xenons without headlight washers/dark wood etc. ?

Originally Posted by dgiturbo
If you have Xenon's, you will also have headlight washers in the front bumper cover. If you don't have them and want to retro fit, you would need to reprogram the body computer to accept them. They are monitored/controlled by that computer. (Called SAM I believe.)
As for adjustment, one does aim at a slightly different angle than the other to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. There is some adjustment allowed. Check the owners manual for the steps.

Also as a side note, if you have leather, the wood trim on the interior will be a really dark brown. If you have instead MB Tex, then the wood trim is a light brown. I have seen several independent dealers advertise for leather and Xenon's on vehicles without them.

Congrats on the ride. I'm sure you will enjoy.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'11 ML350
could have aftermarket xenons, you need to look under the hood and search for xenon ballasts. Or, perhaps just aftermarket halogen bulbs tinted bluish.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
To this day, all US model ML's (W164)have headlight washers with Xenon's. It seems like it's a mandated part of the lighting package. Possible they may have installed aftermarkets, but it is really pricey to do it right.
You should have a MB dealer run the VIN to see what packages the car was built with, then deal with the incorrect advertising. (Price reduction?)
Still, the regular halogens are very effective, and you won't have the issue of the headlamp washers freezing up in the winter.
Oh, and while your at the MB dealer, have them also check to see that the tranny valve body and software updates have been completed.

Last edited by dgiturbo; 02-03-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
If the car was represented as having Xenons and anything else that you find not on the car I would certainly have a discussion with the seller. Thats called fraud.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
To this day, all US model ML's (W164)have headlight washers with Xenon's. It seems like it's a mandated part of the lighting package. Possible they may have installed aftermarkets, but it is really pricey to do it right.
You should have a MB dealer run the VIN to see what packages the car was built with, then deal with the incorrect advertising. (Price reduction?)
Still, the regular halogens are very effective, and you won't have the issue of the headlamp washers freezing up in the winter.
Oh, and while your at the MB dealer, have them also check to see that the tranny valve body and software updates have been completed.
Plus one, First run your VIN at any MB dealership and they can print out everything you need to know including your vehicle options.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:23 PM

ML
So only cars equipped with xenon headlamps have the OEM HID right? is it possible for xenon headlamps to have the yellowish look?
Old 02-12-2011, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML350
do you even know what you are asking? Xenons ARE HID lamps.

you've just been given a multitude of suggestions - check what shape your fog lights are. check if you have headlight washers. since you apparently can't even do that, go get your VIN run at the dealership so they can TELL YOU what you have.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:37 PM

ML
Yeah I did, but I see tints of blue glare at certain angles and I double check all the obvious signs/parts etc, sounds like a flop. Maybe it was replaced who knows, but gonna check a the dealer this week. Thanks all for your inputs.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'11 ML350
Originally Posted by rickybooby
Yeah I did, but I see tints of blue glare at certain angles and I double check all the obvious signs/parts etc, sounds like a flop. Maybe it was replaced who knows, but gonna check a the dealer this week. Thanks all for your inputs.
as I replied before, it's very possible your car has aftermarket halogen bulbs installed. Many people install tinted halogens to give it a somewhat similar appearance to HIDs.