M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Transmission some time not shift gears what can happen?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350 '06 & S430 4Matic '04
Transmission some time not shift gears what can happen?

I bought my car brand new and driving fine over pass 5yrs with 38k mi. Two months ago I had my transmission power flush at dealer in recent weeks some time the gear doesn't like to shift RPM go up 2500 in 1 to 2nd gear or at 60mph the RPM in 3000 when it is fine around 2000 rpm. I feel a machine works very hard and heavy at 3000 rpm. Did they mess up with my transmission? I like to let SA to know the issue, (likely SA will say not their issue or not relate to the worked) but like to hear from members first. Transmission was working perfect before brought to the dealer. I don't think it's in the learning process. Please give me some input, I'm greatly appreciated.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
I would like to think it is still re-learning....I had mine done 5,ooo miles ago and felt similar issues. The shifting was not as drastic as yours, but it definitely smoothed out over time and distance and now gets better MPG and what feels like smoother shifts or lack of feel I guess.
You are still under warranty, have them check it out to be safe. Then, at least your complaint will be on file should something larger result.
If the transmission was is serious trouble, I believe it would default into "Limp" mode to protect itself from major damage.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Benzo 003
I would like to think it is still re-learning....I had mine done 5,ooo miles ago and felt similar issues. The shifting was not as drastic as yours, but it definitely smoothed out over time and distance and now gets better MPG and what feels like smoother shifts or lack of feel I guess.
You are still under warranty, have them check it out to be safe. Then, at least your complaint will be on file should something larger result.
If the transmission was is serious trouble, I believe it would default into "Limp" mode to protect itself from major damage.
First thank Benzo for your time to give a feed back I appreciated.
How do I know if it into a "Limp" mode, I hear people in here talked about it but I have no idear. Is this the engine up at high RPM, but it doesnt accelerate? It barely increse the speed. And then I let the gas pedal goes and push it down again couple times, then It'll pick up speed. My car out of warranty more than 5 yrs old. Any other thought?
Old 07-22-2011, 05:22 PM

2008 ML350 4matic
Sorry about the warranty thing....I dont know where i got that. You would definitely know Limp mode, you would get a trouble light on the dash too.
The dealer may have shorted you on fluid or something else. If it was fine going in and a mess now, I would still have them re-check the fluid level and ensure that the most current software is on the trans computer.
Other than that, I'm at as loss.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:23 PM

I don't see any light or message I told my sa and he said sound not good and ask me to take car in, I'll let them check out this Monday
Ps: when I had my tranns flush he said will be done in 1.5 hr and I was waiting for 5hrs he just told they need to keep the oil cool down to the right temp but what is the issue when we power flush so all the oil need to come out and replace with the new oil right? I'm feeling some thing wrong to take that wrong I complained he didn't charged for this service. When I got home, I poped the hood & see electrical pump box opened and hang on itself, I have to closed & snap back in place.
I hope some minor fix, not a tempt speed sensor or body valve will cost more than 1k.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 PM

2008 ML350 4matic
I know when I had mine done that the refill part of the job was fairly delicate.
The oil is pumped into the drain hole as the engine is running and the trans brought up to a certain temp until a small amount overflows and on and on....
Old 07-24-2011, 07:21 PM

After 1.5hr I asked him it finish yet? He said the tech is waiting for the oil to cool down. I had asked him the same question in 3 hrs in 3 times and he have the same answer every times. Tranny flush is very common and he should know how long does it take to cooldown and how long does it take to finish the job why he said 1.5 and turned out more than 5 hrs. I'm so dame worry it will cost a lot of $$$ to fix it.