M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Auto-lights sometimes erratic...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w164 (ml 500)
Just a thought; I have noticed that our auto headlights will come on and stay on when the temp is below freezing, this dose not happen all the time (maybe 70% of the time) but does enough to be a possible cause. It always seems to return to normal operation once the interior temp has come up to 60+ degrees with a stop/start cycle .

Mark.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'11 ML350
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
The system works fine on my '06 ML, though my '08 BMW is better.
but you don't have bi-xenon headlights with LED DRLs. That combo seems to be at the center of the issue. Although the factory response provided by DC-IT points a finger at the RLS, as I recall previous posts, the problem rests with those of us with LED DRLs.

edit: the problem rests with those of us with LED DRLs, AND THE SOFTWARE OPTION IS TURNED ON TO RUN LED DRLs ONLY DURING THE DAYTIME. WITH THE LED DRL OPTION TURNED OFF, EVERYTHING WORKS AS IT SHOULD.

Last edited by eeferber; 03-06-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by eeferber
but you don't have bi-xenon headlights with LED DRLs. That combo seems to be at the center of the issue. Although the factory response provided by DC-IT points a finger at the RLS, as I recall previous posts, the problem rests with those of us with LED DRLs.
There is no problem with the 2012 GLK 350, LEDs where the fog lights should be, Bi-Xenon headlights and the switch turned to AUTO full time. Tell M-B to fix the software & hardware.

Try this for lights off...........

https://mbworld.org/forums/4982175-post33.html

Wayne

Last edited by venchka; 03-06-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:07 PM

2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by DC-IT
This morning my ML was due for the 30,000 KM Service B and as I set off on the 17 KM trip to the M-B dealership my headlights came on and stayed on all the way to the dealership even though it was bright sunshine with blue sky!

When I arrived I asked the SA to get the Tech to check my ML which I left with the engine on and the headlights on.
The Tech was the same one who changed my light sensor the first time I sent my ML in to fix the erractic auto-lighting behaviour.

He said he has made some research and found an internal article which dealt with this issue and unfortunately while M-B is fully aware of this issue since 2009 there is no fix!
This issue also affects numerous M-B models!!!

I've got a copy of the document which I'm reproducing below:

DRIVING LIGHTS SWITCH OFF TOO LATE OR ON TOO EARLY (BLUE SKY EFFECT).

Topic number: G182.10-P-009466
Validity: Models 203 (06/2003), 169, 245, 215, 216, 209, 219, 211, 164, 251, 220, 221, 230, 171. With rain/light sensor (RLS).

COMPLAINT:
The customer complains that, under a cloudless, blue sky (away from direct sunlight), the driving lights switch off too late when the rotary light switch is in the "Auto" (automatic) position.

In addition, when the sun is low in a cloudless, blue sky, the driving lights switch on too early when the rotary light switch is in the "Auto" (automatic) position.

CAUSE:
Under a blue sky, the sensor interprets the ambient brightness as being too dark due to its physical operating principal (Blue Sky Effect). The reason for this is that the sensor measures light in the infrared range, and range of light occurs less than usual under a cloudless sky.

REMEDY:
Please advise the customer of the technical limitations in this special situation.

NOTE:
Replacement of the rain/light sensor (RLS) is not justified and does not remedy the complaint.

To me it's a design defect which M-B has no solution and is doing nothing to rectify.

As I mentioned in my earlier posts that the auto-lighting feature on my other car BMW 335d works flawlessly for the past 75,000 KM and not a single incident of maulfunction even in Blue Skies and bright sunshine.

Even my older vehicles like a 2008 Honda Accord and a 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara the auto-light worked as designed flawlessly.

So if the Japanese and rival BMW engineers can get this right why can't M-B?

What a major let down by M-B!

I once again experienced the same exact thing as you this past weekend. Me and the wife went out on Sat morning, it was raining and overcast, very gray sky yet the lights (set to auto) never went on.

By the afternoon it was bright and sunny, not a cloud in the sky and of course the lights turned on and stayed on for on our entire 50 min return drive home in the BRIGHT SUNLIGHT.

As I have mentioned in other posts/threads that I have learned to live with it and other problems that MB can’t fix.

But really, there has to be a reason why the sensor does the opposite of what it is supposed to do on so many of our ML’s.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:10 PM

Just for the record, I dont have the LED DRL's. I have the standard headlights and DRL's.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:24 PM

regardless, when the light switch is in the "O" position (MB, that typically means OFF) then the headlights should NEVER react on their own. I don't care what time it is or where the #$%^ sun is located.

To paraphrase - OFF means OFF.

I agree with you 100% , and this is exactly what I had told my dealer several times. OFF means OFF!

Of course they disagreed, and then I asked them if that would be their response if my wipers were set to "O" but yet they still turned on whenever they wanted, for no reason. Wouldn't this be the same thing.

I got no answer, just a weird look . So in the meantine I guess I'll just keep changing headlight bulbs.

Last edited by Cyber GS; 03-06-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
'03 A4 2.0 Stroker, '14 E63 S AMG, '10 E550, '10 S550, '03 C240
This is an easy fix for those who don't mind doing some DIY work.

The light sensor is built into the rain sensor housing. If the sensor is too far from the windshield it will think it is darker out than it really is. The solution would be to move the sensor closer to the window to be more exposed to light.

It sounds crazy, but it will work. The sensors in our models are not adaptable so it shouldn't give any kind of code.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:25 PM

I’m not sure if what you are saying to do would fix the problem, think about it.

If the sensor thinks it’s darker out then it really is as you mentioned above, then why wouldn’t the sensor turn on the lights in cloudy, overcast lighting conditions when it really is darker outside, instead of when it is bright and sunny?

Very rarely if ever, have the lights turned on automatically in poor lighting conditions during the daytime, only on bright sunny days they turn on…

Last edited by Cyber GS; 03-06-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:47 PM

'11 ML350
Originally Posted by Cyber GS
Very rarely if ever, have the lights turned on automatically in poor lighting conditions during the daytime, only on bright sunny days they turn on…
and, (at least in my case) ONLY if I have the DRL software option turned on.

This is a little confusing because I believe Canadian owners do not have the software option to turn it on/off and always have DRLs on because of law.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
By now there must be enough W166 on the road and so far there has been no reported issues with the auto-lighting.

I posted a thread on the W166 late last year and did not get any confirmation of the same lighting issue.

So if M-B has found the solution and redesigned the sensor or the computer program why is the fix not provided to the earlier modles that are affected?

For now the solution may be to paste a black electrical tape on the led indicator light on the instrument panel and keep on cruising!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 PM

I’m not sure if what you are saying to do would fix the problem, think about it.

If the sensor thinks it’s darker out then it really is as you mentioned above, then why wouldn’t the sensor turn on the lights in cloudy, overcast lighting conditions when it really is darker outside, instead of when it is bright and sunny?

Because during overcast conditions shade is nonexistent. The "light" is diffused and even everywhere. When it is sunny, and you are traveling with the sun behind you, the sensor will be in a shaded position. You must not forget that the sensor is behind a black etched portion of the windshield in a black box which in itself diffuses light.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:57 PM

'11 ML350
By now there must be enough W166 on the road and so far there has been no reported issues with the auto-lighting.

I posted a thread on the W166 late last year and did not get any confirmation of the same lighting issue.

So if M-B has found the solution and redesigned the sensor or the computer program why is the fix not provided to the earlier modles that are affected?

For now the solution may be to paste a black electrical tape on the led indicator light on the instrument panel and keep on cruising!
According to early W166 brochures, the bi-xenon lighting package with LED DRL was not available until March, 2012.

Could be one hasn't even been delivered yet.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:00 PM

'11 ML350
Originally Posted by AudiA4Turbo22
When it is sunny, and you are traveling with the sun behind you, the sensor will be in a shaded position.
I've had the lights come one at 11:30am when the car was directly facing the sun.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:18 AM

According to early W166 brochures, the bi-xenon lighting package with LED DRL was not available until March, 2012.

Could be one hasn't even been delivered yet.
You're correct as the issue could be with the led drl/bi-xenon combo!
We'll wait and see in the next few months if there are any incidents with the W166 and this lighting combo.

I've had the lights come one at 11:30am when the car was directly facing the sun.
That must be the Blue Sky Effect as explained in the document.
M-B says to put up with this and there is no fix.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by AudiA4Turbo22
Because during overcast conditions shade is nonexistent. The "light" is diffused and even everywhere. When it is sunny, and you are traveling with the sun behind you, the sensor will be in a shaded position. You must not forget that the sensor is behind a black etched portion of the windshield in a black box which in itself diffuses light.
You may be correct and it might be worth I try. But I dont think I am going to move any sensors on the vehicle because if I do the next thing you know MB will probably try to void the warranty because I touched something I shouldn’t have.

And as eeferber said, he has had the lights come on while directly facing the sun. This happens to me quite often, it really doesn’t matter the time of day as long as its bright and sunny and the sun is either directly in front, over the top, to either side, or behind the ML the lights come on 90-95% of the time.

And as I and others have mention several times, MB has duplicted this isssue with our ML's and says its normal even though the light switch is set to "O" (off). They think we're idiots.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:14 PM

They think we're idiots.
This idiot will switch to another brand when his lease is up in 2014, who's the idiot then?
If the tri-turbo gets in the next model X5 that's likely be the one to replace the ML.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:25 PM

'11 ML350
I'd like to suggest we consider coordinating our own campaign targeting MBUSA. It's time to elevate all of this beyond our local dealer's service managers.

Essentially, I think the "blue sky effect" excuse is crap in our situations. Does it actually exist? probably, but I don't believe for one minute it is the cause of OUR problems.

In my case anyway, I can create/solve the headlight problem (coming on in full daylight) simply by activating/deactivating the DRL option.

That is, DRL option off and HL switch on auto, then no inadvertent headlights in broad daylight. DRL option on, then headlights will come on in broad daylight.

Furthermore, if the DRL option is on, the position of the rotary headlight switch is meaningless - the headlights will come on automatically even with the switch in the OFF position (i.e., not on auto). How in the world can that happen?

"Blue sky effect" my ***. Tell me how the blue sky effect causes a malfunction of the light sensor when the sensor should not even be controlling the headlight function because the headlight switch is turned OFF??? And how does the blue sky effect override the position of the headlight switch, preventing me from being able to turn them off at all?

I assume all purchasers of '11 MLs received a warm and fuzzy letter from Mr Alan J. McLaren, VP, Customer Services at MB USA. I've attached a copy of my letter (removing personal info).

I believe it's time that Mr McLaren prove MB's commitment to the statements made in paragraphs 3 and 4.

We need to professionally and succinctly describe our problem(s), and request follow up FROM the proper MB person with which we can provide more supportive and extensive information to assist them in resolving this issue.

What say you?

edit: sorry the attachment so small. It was compressed when downloaded to this site. I might suggest saving the image on your own computer and then you can enlarge it for easier reading.
Attached Thumbnails Auto-lights sometimes erratic...-img001.jpg  

Last edited by eeferber; 03-07-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:47 PM

This issue is world wide as replies from Australia, Europe, USA & Canada have all had on going problems with the auto-lighting.

I'd be happy to join any concerted effort to get B-M to wake up and do something about it.

I think the problem lies with the programming of the lighting in conjunction with the sensor?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 PM

The "Bluesky Effect" is Bull****!

Our C240 NEVER turns the headlights on during sunny conditions, neither does the S550. The S550 is ALWAYS on auto, because the DRL's are set to ON. I have yet to see the headlights come on in broad daylight. If anything they come on at the PERFECT time, right AFTER the sun sets.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:15 PM

I'd like to suggest we consider coordinating our own campaign targeting MBUSA. It's time to elevate all of this beyond our local dealer's service managers.

Essentially, I think the "blue sky effect" excuse is crap in our situations. Does it actually exist? probably, but I don't believe for one minute it is the cause of OUR problems.

In my case anyway, I can create/solve the headlight problem (coming on in full daylight) simply by activating/deactivating the DRL option.

That is, DRL option off and HL switch on auto, then no inadvertent headlights in broad daylight. DRL option on, then headlights will come on in broad daylight.

Furthermore, if the DRL option is on, the position of the rotary headlight switch is meaningless - the headlights will come on automatically even with the switch in the OFF position (i.e., not on auto). How in the world can that happen?

"Blue sky effect" my ***. Tell me how the blue sky effect causes a malfunction of the light sensor when the sensor should not even be controlling the headlight function because the headlight switch is turned OFF??? And how does the blue sky effect override the position of the headlight switch, preventing me from being able to turn them off at all?

I assume all purchasers of '11 MLs received a warm and fuzzy letter from Mr Alan J. McLaren, VP, Customer Services at MB USA. I've attached a copy of my letter (removing personal info).

I believe it's time that Mr McLaren prove MB's commitment to the statements made in paragraphs 3 and 4.

We need to professionally and succinctly describe our problem(s), and request follow up FROM the proper MB person with which we can provide more supportive and extensive information to assist them in resolving this issue.

What say you?

edit: sorry the attachment so small. It was compressed when downloaded to this site. I might suggest saving the image on your own computer and then you can enlarge it for easier reading.

What I put in bold-face above is exactly how my lights act.

When I get a chance I guess I'll be writing a letter... Again!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:44 PM

SL 55 AMG, ML 350... and my girl's SLK 200 ;)
My W164 hasn't got the DRL-LEDs as it has the 2008+ AMG package installed. However, it does sometimes erratically come up with "lights-on" during a clear bright day.

It doesn't have anything to do with LED-DRLs... IMO.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkster
My W164 hasn't got the DRL-LEDs as it has the 2008+ AMG package installed. However, it does sometimes erratically come up with "lights-on" during a clear bright day.

It doesn't have anything to do with LED-DRLs... IMO.
Again it's pointing towards the ECU programming that controls when the headlights goes on/off and the light sensor.

My sensor was replaced the firsts time I complained about this issue but it was unsuccessfully. Guess it could be the sensor which wrongly interprets blue skies as night?

Unless the coding of the ECU can correctly identify blue skies as bright daylight and leave the headlights off.

Come M-B get your engineers to work on a solution or you're going to loose customers.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:38 PM

2012 GLK 350
I set my lights to switch on/off automatically.
Once in a while when I drove out of my garage the head lights will switch on in the garage and stay on even when the car is in full sunshine. It stayed on even if I turn the setting to off or any other position.
This corrects itself after I have shutdown the engine during the day and restarted.

Any one has this happening to their ML?
Should I be concerned and get the dealer to check it out or just put up with it?

It's not a big issue rather than an annoyance.
I have a GLK350 2012 and I keep my lights on auto and after I drive out the garage my lights will shut off in 10 minutes or so. But if they did not, it would not matter to me.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by Kajnbabe
I have a GLK350 2012 and I keep my lights on auto and after I drive out the garage my lights will shut off in 10 minutes or so. But if they did not, it would not matter to me.
What she said! The 2012 GLK auto lighting & wiper systems are perfect! Blue sky, lights off. Grey sky, lights on. None of the nonsense that I have also read about the lights turning off at a certain time and coming back on at a certain time. They turn on/off as needed. The wipers will make one slow pass to clear fine mist I can't even see. Or crank up to max. speed in a fast moving gully washer. Every combination of wiper speed and frequency in between.
Y'all should demand an upgrade to 2012 GLK specifications.
My observation about the 10 minute thing: Apparently there is a built in delay, 5-10 minutes, for times like starting indoors or tunnels, etc. to prevent the Bi-Xenon's from cycling on/off too quickly. No, it doesn't bother me either.

Wayne
Old 03-08-2012, 05:50 PM

'11 ML350
Originally Posted by Kajnbabe
I have a GLK350 2012 and I keep my lights on auto and after I drive out the garage my lights will shut off in 10 minutes or so...
I'm guessing you haven't read follow up posts in this thread. It's not as basic as the "auto" light feature.

Do you have the DRL LED option during on???Setting this option seems to trigger the malfunction.

Is this a life threatening issue. Obviously not. Yet, this is not an problem with BMW, Hyundai, some other MB models and other makes, and it shouldn't be an issue with ours.

I laid down $60k+ cash for this vehicle and to have something like this malfunction is uncalled for, especially since other brands have no problem getting it right. It is not bleeding edge technology. And, MB doesn't seem to be able to understand the unique facts of this problem (i.e., the blue sky effect nonsense).

Last edited by eeferber; 03-08-2012 at 05:54 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Auto-lights sometimes erratic...