M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ERROR Codes in DEALER MENU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 ML550 Blk/blk, P02, Ltr Pkg, Lght Pkg
ERROR Codes in DEALER MENU

Recently I found about the Dealer Menu in COMAND APS NTG2.5 of my 2011 ML550, which of course I accessed, just of curiosity.

I did not touch anything, but inside the Error History menu I found an entire list with errors - please see attached picture.

Can PLEASE somebody help me understand the meaning of these codes, and offer advice if I should schedule a trip to the dealer. (The car runs perfect). I want to avoid the trip, especially when I do not have an idea on how to start a conversation about something I was not supposed to open...

Thank you very much, in advance, for the help
Attached Thumbnails ERROR Codes in DEALER MENU-img.jpg  
Old 09-21-2011, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by troby
Recently I found about the Dealer Menu in COMAND APS NTG2.5 of my 2011 ML550, which of course I accessed, just of curiosity.

I did not touch anything, but inside the Error History menu I found an entire list with errors - please see attached picture.

Can PLEASE somebody help me understand the meaning of these codes, and offer advice if I should schedule a trip to the dealer. (The car runs perfect). I want to avoid the trip, especially when I do not have an idea on how to start a conversation about something I was not supposed to open...

Thank you very much, in advance, for the help
You should have not even accessed that menu. Its for a tech to reference. The contents could be from a normal set up proceedure. If the system is working as it should I would not even mention it. You dont want some tech poking around and perhaps doing something that will degrade the performance.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by sosh
You should have not even accessed that menu. Its for a tech to reference. The contents could be from a normal set up proceedure. If the system is working as it should I would not even mention it. You dont want some tech poking around and perhaps doing something that will degrade the performance.

sosh,

Thank you for the reply.

You are right with the first statement - it may be risky for a non-pro to access the menu. I saw a lot of posts about the subject and got curious. I was careful to not damage or change anything. As punishment for my 'crime' now I am worried.

If you are looking on my picture, there are 84 pages of errors. It seems that everytime the system is turned on - or the car started, it generates error messages. Something is wrong in the COMAND system, but I hope that is not an important issue. But it is

The main reason I am appealing for HELP to this forum's members, and eventually to those that were exposed to this particular problem, is to avoid incompetent tech people - which are every car owners' nightmare. It is hard to believe that my car is the only new 2011 ML model with this issue.

Thank you again, and thank you to those that can provide some 'light' on this...
Old 09-22-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
I'm not sure you need to worry about "incompetent tech people" as the codes will be downloaded to a Mercedes computer and interpreted by it next time you take it in for service.

I have been in that same service menu. If I remember correctly, there is nothing you can change there so you are highly unlikely to do any damage.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by roadrutz
I'm not sure you need to worry about "incompetent tech people" as the codes will be downloaded to a Mercedes computer and interpreted by it next time you take it in for service.

I have been in that same service menu. If I remember correctly, there is nothing you can change there so you are highly unlikely to do any damage.
roadrutz,

Maybe "incompetent ..." is too strong. However sometimes we have to deal with "professionals" that are learning/testing at our expense, of which sometimes do not want to be disturbed. And that can be a daunting experience.

Regarding the Dealer Menu, there are some options of menus that could be "cleared" or "reset". The advice unanimously posted is to not touch/change anything, and this is what I did: looked and tried to understand.

I am not sure if these error codes are downloadable with the OBDS system, or a computer. My concern is if I should go sooner to have these errors checked or "downloaded to a Mercedes computer and interpreted", of if I could wait for a regular service appointment. Remember that these codes are shown just on the COMAND menu, and not on any Warning Light on the Instrument Cluster. For this reason I do not think of an immediate urgency, but posting the question gives the confidence that my decision is shared (or not) by other car owners and forum users, and find out information or other opinions that could be more 'educated' than mine.

Thank you

Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 AM

'09 ML550
troby: Good point about clearing and resetting. However, all those do is remove the message. They don't actually change any settings in the vehicle, which is what I meant by 'you are unlikely to do any damage'.

The messages are information messages, not warning messages. They will, in fact, be dowloaded next time the Mercedes computer is connected; I watched it happen with mine.

You are right to leave alone things that aren't intended for users, but I still say: Don't worry -- you ain't gonna hurt anything just by looking!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:29 PM

roadrutz:

I am curious, and want to inconvenience you with a last question.

Did these error messages discovered and downloaded to the Mercedes service computers from your car, trigger any kind of protection action from the technicians who downloaded them? Were they used to perform any upgrade, maintenance or changes in the COMAND System?

Gentleman,

It is good to have reassurances and information from experienced owners. Your help it is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for the replies.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
I have a 2010 GL and I also have many, many pages of error messages. The dealer said nothing about it, but I never brought it up. My COMAND is working fine, so don't worry about it
Old 09-25-2011, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by amaycg
I have a 2010 GL and I also have many, many pages of error messages. The dealer said nothing about it, but I never brought it up. My COMAND is working fine, so don't worry about it
amaycg:
Thank you
Old 09-26-2011, 10:56 AM

'09 ML550
Originally Posted by amaycg
+1
Old 09-26-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by roadrutz
+1
roadrutz,
Just Doublechecking: this is same opinion as amaycg?! Cool...
Thank you.

PS: another question for you, the experienced owners: does MB, in time, performs any updates on the firmware of the COMAND System, like for example, on the Navi?