M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Light output on projectors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Light output on projectors

I bought the car with halogen as stock and when my dad was driving the suv home, I was infront of him and I notice the passenger side lights were REALLY bright and the driver side was kinda dim so I thought it just needed a little projector alignment. Went home, and did leveled it but still no change. It wasn't giving me the proper light output, even my old cars with halogens were brighter.

So I installed a aftermarket HID kit and it improved, and still the passenger side is fully outputting light and the driver, barely anything. I tried leveling it again and no matter how high or low or middle I leveled it, the light output was not shot out at full force. I drove to a dark place and level ground and parked infront of a flat wall from a good distance to see the cut-off line and to make adjustments.

As I level the driver side up and down, I can only see like shadows of the light, my right side of the wall was white and the left side was still dark and I move the projectors up and down, the light output was probably 35%.

Anyone have any idea how to fix or know what the issue is?

PS. and the driver side light output on the ground is weird, theres a line of light at all and passenger side is normal. Heres a pic. In real life the driver side is not bright AT all, the picture from my phone just made it seem that way on camera.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-22-2011, 12:28 AM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
only thing I can think of is the bulb is not seated correctly, or possibly up side down, if that is possible. remove the back round cover and see if the bulb moves or is it place firmly
Old 12-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
That's odd. You can't even see the cutoff for the driver side projector. Check to see if the bulb is seated correctly GateKeeper said. Otherwise we might be talking about the projector bowl itself as the cause of the issue here.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 PM

ML
Here's another pic. of how one side is dim the other is lit up perfectly.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Update: I quadtroble checked and everything is properly set in place, put in brand new bulbs and still the same result of 1 side brighter than the other. =/

What is the projector bowl and how do I try to fix it?

Last edited by rickybooby; 12-22-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
You've had this issue with both the halogen and HID kits? Bulbs are clean and free of oils from hands/fingers right?

How does the light look when you look at the headlight?
Old 12-23-2011, 12:16 AM

ML
Yes, I had the same issue with standard halogen from factory and I got a different brand of aftermarket halogen and still the same, tried aftermarket HID kit and still same result. Everything is clean no prints no nothing, just fresh to death out of the box when bought.

If you walk by and look at both headlight, they look exactly the same, same color, same light output, but when you look at the wall, or drive it at night, you CLEARLY see only the passenger side is fully lit up.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:16 AM

ML
Dealer wanted 150 to have the headlight inspected, thats nuts!!