M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Diesel Fuel Filter Recall for 2011 ML350BT.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
Diesel Fuel Filter Recall for 2011 ML350BT.

I received a letter from M-B on Dec 16, 2011 to bring the ML in to fix a potential leaking issue with the o-rings in the fuel filter.

My ML is scheduled to go in this Friday AM.
SA said it'll take a hour or so.

Has any one else received this recall notice and got their ML done?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Had my GL done. In and out with no issues.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:43 PM

Thanks.
I'll be getting mine done first thing tomorrow morning.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
If any of you are able, look at the 2 fuel lines going into the filter, and tell me what type of clamps they are using. Looks like they are going to the traditional worm screw type clamps instead of the click clamps. If so, wonder if that was the leak issue?
Just lift up the plastic engine cover and the filter sits in the middle of the motor with 2 small black hoses clamped on.
Thanks.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:18 PM

The recall was done within an hour this morning including washing the vehicle.

While I was waiting I bought a bottle of AdBlue (1.89L) from the parts department. It costs $8.98.

When I got home I open up the trunk and added the AdBlue to the tank.
As posted here I will reuse the bottle to refill the DEF from the bulk supply which are cheaper.

So far, other than the auto-lighting issues, all`s good with my ML.

Cheers.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Had mine done a few weeks ago.They replaced the fuel filter according to the work order.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by DC-IT
While I was waiting I bought a bottle of AdBlue (1.89L) from the parts department. It costs $8.98.

When I got home I open up the trunk and added the AdBlue to the tank.
As posted here I will reuse the bottle to refill the DEF from the bulk supply which are cheaper.
That's exactly what I'm doing.It took me about 10 minutes to modify the bottle to enable the blue top to be screwed on and off...and I was using rudimentary tools (a kitchen knife,actually).

I'll be starting a 3K mile road trip this weekend and expect to approach 11K miles by the end.I'll see if I start getting the refill warnings during that trip.In the US DEF tends to cost about $5/gallon in bulk form.In Canada I suspect it's twice that.

Last edited by listerone; 01-06-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by listerone
That's exactly what I'm doing.It took me about 10 minutes to modify the bottle to enable the blue top to be screwed on and off...and I was using rudimentary tools (a kitchen knife,actually).

I'll be starting a 3K mile road trip this weekend and expect to approach 11K miles by the end.I'll see if I start getting the refill warnings during that trip.In the US DEF tends to cost about $5/gallon in bulk form.In Canada I suspect it's twice that.
Listerone we can get DEF for $7.99/Gal(3.78L) or $19.99 for 2.5Gal(9.46L) at Canadian Tire.
I also saw that a company called Mid Ontario Diesel sells the 2.5L pack for only $10.00.

BTW, how did you modify the blue top to fit the bulk DEF?
I was just going to cut off the bottom of the AdBlue bottle I got from M-B and use it as a funnel to pour the 2.5 Gal refill into it to transfer to the urea tank in both my ML + 335D.

Have a fun and save journey. Is your E350BT fitted with Winter tires yet? So far Winter seems to have escape here in Toronto.

Cheers
Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
BTW, how did you modify the blue top to fit the bulk DEF? I was just going to cut off the bottom of the AdBlue bottle I got from M-B and use it as a funnel to pour the 2.5 Gal refill into it to transfer to the urea tank in both my ML + 335D.
I've read that some do it that way.However,it seems to me that that might not be the best way to do it given the fact that one must press down in order to get the fluid to flow....but I certainly could be wrong.What I did was to (carefully) cut the plastic between the blue part of the top and the crimp just below.When done the entire top can easily screw on and off...which only the presence of that crimp prevents.Easily accomplished in a couple of minutes.

Have a fun and save journey. Is your E350BT fitted with Winter tires yet? So far Winter seems to have escape here in Toronto.
Almost no snow in these parts so far...apart from a surprise snow storm in late October.Haven't gotten around to buying winter tires yet but I'm heading south to the palm trees where I'm sure to be among half your fellow countrymen! Given that I'll be on I-95 the entire way I shouldn't have a big problem even if it does snow along the way.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by listerone
I've read that some do it that way.However,it seems to me that that might not be the best way to do it given the fact that one must press down in order to get the fluid to flow....but I certainly could be wrong.What I did was to (carefully) cut the plastic between the blue part of the top and the crimp just below.When done the entire top can easily screw on and off...which only the presence of that crimp prevents.Easily accomplished in a couple of minutes.

But if you get the bulk DEF won't it be too heavy to have inverted to pump the AdBlue and rather difficult to press on the huge container?
I am thinking that it'll be easier to use the smaller container as a funnel for pouring the bulk DEF into the tank?

Almost no snow in these parts so far...apart from a surprise snow storm in late October.Haven't gotten around to buying winter tires yet but I'm heading south to the palm trees where I'm sure to be among half your fellow countrymen! Given that I'll be on I-95 the entire way I shouldn't have a big problem even if it does snow along the way.
Wow today's a balmy 8C here in Toronto! Pretty much the same nice weather for the next few days.

There's no need for the Snow Birds to head down south!

Let us know what kind of mileage you get on the road trip with your E.