M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Anyone chipped thier ML?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 M Class 300CDI
Anyone chipped thier ML?

Hey guys just wondering if anyone here has chipped their ML? I have a ML300CDI and wanting a little bit more grunt. The car has great pulling power but some more would be great! Just wanting any opinions or at least where to look.

I have the late model car and so far have looked at Brabus and Powerchip, figures look good but at the same time I am concerned if it might void the warranty. I have read that MB UK doesn't void warranty if you get Brabus. I asked today and the Brabus units are made in Germany and have a 3 year/100,000km warranty on the unit and will cost like $3000 wheras the Powerchip unit will cost like $2000 but not sure where they are made.

Last edited by primatives; 03-30-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (sold); 2007 R320 CDI (sold); 2008 ML320 CDI; 2014 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by primatives
Hey guys just wondering if anyone here has chipped their ML? I have a ML300CDI (Australia) and wanting a little bit more grunt. The car has great pulling power but some more would be great! Just wanting any opinions or at least where to look.

I have the 2011 model and so far have looked at Brabus and Powerchip, figures look good but at the same time I am concerned if it might void the warranty. I have read that MB UK doesn't void warranty if you get Brabus. I asked today and the Brabus units are made in Germany and have a 3 year/100,000km warranty on the unit and will cost like $3000 wheras the Powerchip unit will cost like $2000 but not sure where they are made.

I have already emailed my dealer to see what they say about Brabus ECU.
I think your first step would be to check prices for above models (it seems too high).

As for adding more power, you don't have too many options with your combination Year/Model (it is different story if you have model up to year 2008).

While you inside warranty, I'd not go with any ECU programming due it could be overwritten in dealership during regular checkup along with remove warranty. One of good option is Brabus but I'd consider Carlsson (i.e C-Tronic Diesel POWER CD28-35).
I have Kleeman KD Box and so far, I am satisfied with solution but I'd consider Carlsson in near future due to it is modified ECU program without programming (Brabus/Kleeman/Powerchip regulate air flow to engine and trick engine to give more boost).

The decision is yours ...
Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
My 09 ML550 ECU was reflashed by Jeremy of OE Tuning, a board sponsor. I did a lot of research and discovered, 1) a reflash is transparent and virtually undetectable by the dealer, 2) most tuners will reflash your ECU for free if the dealer changes your ECU program (very unlikely), 3) $2 and 3K is very expensive for a reflash, 4) you'll barely notice the performance change and may be disappointed and 5) save your money unless you can get the reflash for under $1K US.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
'03 A4 2.0 Stroker, '14 E63 S AMG, '10 E550, '10 S550, '03 C240
^^He has a diesel and they will gain nearly TRIPLE to what we can get in our ML550's, so I'd definitely recommend a tune.

DO NOT EMAIL THE DEALER, they shouldn't know about you tuning the car. It is virtually undetectable and it CANNOT void your warranty unless the dealer can prove that the flash caused a failure.

Try OE Tuning, Kleemann is much more reasonable than Brabus and Carlsson and much more performance oriented.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:20 PM

2011 M Class 300CDI
hey guys thanks for the reply, am i correct that a ecu flash is changing the onboard chip or reprogramming the factory ECU to respond differently??? The brabus unit puts in a new unit and doesn't touch the factory ECU or is that removed and replaced with the Brabus one. I hope I make sense. thanks again for the replies.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:39 PM

hey guys thanks for the reply, am i correct that a ecu flash is changing the onboard chip or reprogramming the factory ECU to respond differently??? The brabus unit puts in a new unit and doesn't touch the factory ECU or is that removed and replaced with the Brabus one. I hope I make sense. thanks again for the replies.
As I said, Brabus/Kleeman/... regulates oxygen flow (i.e you need more power and the oxygen is reduced which it is telling ECU to produce extra power). Usually, you get 20-25 % gain on HP side (40-50 HP) + 70-80 torque.

Also, you have ECU programming and you can gain ~ 10 % or so ..

I have Kleeman and so far, I used device on all 3 cars without any problem. If I take out device, I can feel difference ...
Old 03-29-2012, 03:21 AM

2011 M Class 300CDI
Originally Posted by zemun1234
As I said, Brabus/Kleeman/... regulates oxygen flow (i.e you need more power and the oxygen is reduced which it is telling ECU to produce extra power). Usually, you get 20-25 % gain on HP side (40-50 HP) + 70-80 torque.

Also, you have ECU programming and you can gain ~ 10 % or so ..

I have Kleeman and so far, I used device on all 3 cars without any problem. If I take out device, I can feel difference ...

Thanks for the reply man I think I may have confused you. Yeah I understand what the Brabus unit does, I think what I am trying to ask is, seeing as the Brabus unit is a 'plug and play' unit, do you think when I bring the car to service if it would be ok to change back the old unit so it looks like nothing has been done to it to avoid any issues with warranty.

Also on a side note does an ECU 'flash' mean that they don't put in a new ECU as in the case of Brabus/Kleeman/Carlsson but they physically put in a new software/firmware on/over the existing ECU which maybe more easily be detectable by MB themselves, which is why I'm more inclined and considering a 'plug and play' unit rather than a 'flash'.

I really want to try a ECU unit at the same time it concerned it may cause damage to the engine or transmission because of the increase in power BUT a side of me is telling me the 350CDI BLUETEC has the same engine and slightly bigger turbo (Not 100%) but can handle more power so my engine and transmission should be more than able to handle the increase in power. I have also been told these units actually make the transmission smoother and that it wont effect the transmission because it monitors and decreases power so that when it does change gears its not rough on it. So in effect nothing will happen to it. (So they say)

I'm leaning more to the 3 german brands ONLY because they know their Mercedes and in Australia I dont want to go with a not well known brand because there isn't a reference to go with because I have not found anyone who has done something similar.

I know I'm rambling on and and bouncing back and forth and I know some will just say not to do to avoid any warranty issues but damn I just want a little more power just to get that urge feeling of speed or pulling power of torque on tap whenever I need it and out of my system hahaha. (I could go go karting or something like that to experience the thrill but that means booking time etc) Anyways thanks for reading and value your input and opinions)
Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the reply man I think I may have confused you. Yeah I understand what the Brabus unit does, I think what I am trying to ask is, seeing as the Brabus unit is a 'plug and play' unit, do you think when I bring the car to service if it would be ok to change back the old unit so it looks like nothing has been done to it to avoid any issues with warranty.
It cannot be detected - by the way, I have STAR Diagnostic and I can scan and find out if any change is detected Also, Brabus/Kleeman is well known technology but newer engine such as yours could require more advanced device. I think it was mentioned that if the ECU detect any change on system, it does automatically disable external device (read: it doesn't provide extra boost all time). I think it was reason why I bought model year 2008 instead of 2009 - missing extra power for underpowered engine.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:46 AM

2011 M Class 300CDI
Originally Posted by zemun1234
I think your first step would be to check prices for above models (it seems too high).

As for adding more power, you don't have too many options with your combination Year/Model (it is different story if you have model up to year 2008).

While you inside warranty, I'd not go with any ECU programming due it could be overwritten in dealership during regular checkup along with remove warranty. One of good option is Brabus but I'd consider Carlsson (i.e C-Tronic Diesel POWER CD28-35).
I have Kleeman KD Box and so far, I am satisfied with solution but I'd consider Carlsson in near future due to it is modified ECU program without programming (Brabus/Kleeman/Powerchip regulate air flow to engine and trick engine to give more boost).

The decision is yours ...
What is the difference between the Carlsson C-Tronic Diesel POWER CD28-35 and the CD28-35 REVO?? They both look to be the same model engine but with different power ratings.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' ML550, ML 63, E55, and 2019 S63, 19’ Porsche 991 911 Speedster
Ok, I am very interested in this topic... If I were to say that I wanted 40 - 80 more HP + more torque out of my 08 ML550, are you suggesting that all I have to do is order up some chip/computer update? for it and I'd be able to push out close to 430hp on this model year? That is crazy! I want to know were I can that kind of power out of a chip, do tell. What does it even cost to do something like that. I live in the states, and wouldn't even know where to go to get added performance out of my ML, Kleeman I have heard of a lot, and Brabus I thought was a more in depth tuning company in Germany? (Not sure)

Would love to get more power out of my ML550, would it void my extended warranty?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
'03 A4 2.0 Stroker, '14 E63 S AMG, '10 E550, '10 S550, '03 C240
Answered your questions in your thread.